The Surname Ciaccia
The Surname Ciaccia
Hey there, I am new to the site and it looks like an awesome site. I'm trying to do some research on my surname here and was wondering if anyone knows the pronunciation, origin, and definition of my last name "Ciaccia". The only thing I could find was what looked like a beach in Sardina called "La Ciaccia". I have and so has my family which is from Rochester, NY always pronounced our surname "Chacha", which doesn't seem right. Anyways, if anyone is willing to help me out with this, and let me know where you were able to find this information, it would be great. Thanks again to anyone who is willing to help me with this monumental task.
Re: The Surname Ciaccia
Hello,
some infos of Ciaccio (similar of Ciaccia)
CIACCIO Ciaccio ha un nucleo siciliano nel palermitano e nell'agrigentino a Sciacca in particolare, ed un ceppo nel catanzarese, deriva dal nome medioevale Ciaccio Tracce di questa cognomizzazione le troviamo a Carife (AV) nel 1646 Laura Ciaccio, vedova del beneventano Francesco Capobianco, acquisisce la Signoria di quelle terre.
Ciaccio has a sicilian nucleus, Palermo area and Agrigento area, in particular in Sciacca town, a root in Catanzaro area (Calabria), it comes from a medieval Ciaccio Tracce. In Carife (Avellino province) we find on 1646 Laura Ciaccio, widow of Francesco Capobianco from Benevento, she becomes the Lady of his estates
these are all the Ciaccia arrived to Ellis Island
http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... &dwpdone=1
Ciaccia arrived to Castle Garden
http://www.castlegarden.org/quick_searc ... submit.y=9
Ciaccia on Social Security Death Index
http://ssdi.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi
Ciaccia on Italian phone book
http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... =&ind=&nc=
Distribution of Ciaccia in Italy
http://www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html
I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo
some infos of Ciaccio (similar of Ciaccia)
CIACCIO Ciaccio ha un nucleo siciliano nel palermitano e nell'agrigentino a Sciacca in particolare, ed un ceppo nel catanzarese, deriva dal nome medioevale Ciaccio Tracce di questa cognomizzazione le troviamo a Carife (AV) nel 1646 Laura Ciaccio, vedova del beneventano Francesco Capobianco, acquisisce la Signoria di quelle terre.
Ciaccio has a sicilian nucleus, Palermo area and Agrigento area, in particular in Sciacca town, a root in Catanzaro area (Calabria), it comes from a medieval Ciaccio Tracce. In Carife (Avellino province) we find on 1646 Laura Ciaccio, widow of Francesco Capobianco from Benevento, she becomes the Lady of his estates
these are all the Ciaccia arrived to Ellis Island
http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... &dwpdone=1
Ciaccia arrived to Castle Garden
http://www.castlegarden.org/quick_searc ... submit.y=9
Ciaccia on Social Security Death Index
http://ssdi.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi
Ciaccia on Italian phone book
http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... =&ind=&nc=
Distribution of Ciaccia in Italy
http://www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html
I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo
Re: The Surname Ciaccia
Hi & wlecome to the forum,
Has the info that Riccardo provided answered your question or are you looking to trace your family? in the US? in Italy? Both?
If tracing family, please provide as much information that you can. 1st names, ages, where settled in US? siblings and/or children?
What records have you obtained for your family? census records? ship manifests? naturalizatons? birth & death records? other?
There are 32 exact spelling of name on the 1930 census in Rochester,NY.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
jcsm
Has the info that Riccardo provided answered your question or are you looking to trace your family? in the US? in Italy? Both?
If tracing family, please provide as much information that you can. 1st names, ages, where settled in US? siblings and/or children?
What records have you obtained for your family? census records? ship manifests? naturalizatons? birth & death records? other?
There are 32 exact spelling of name on the 1930 census in Rochester,NY.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: The Surname Ciaccia
Hey there, I'm not really doing this to track family members, but to just find the origin of the name, its meaning, and the correct pronunciation. If I am able to track the family tree, that would be a bonus. The oldest Ciaccia I know of is Joseph Ciaccia, who was born in Rochester, NY. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.
Re: The Surname Ciaccia
"Just in case you do get interested in tracing your family, here is the 1930 census information.
View Record Randy Ciaccia Anna Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1896 Italy Head
View Record Anna Ciaccia Randy Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1903 Wife
View Record Angelo Ciaccia Randy Ciaccia,
Anna Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1921 Son
View Record Joseph Ciaccia Randy Ciaccia,
Anna Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1922 Son
View Record Anthony Ciaccia Randy Ciaccia,
Anna Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1925 Son
View Record Dominick Ciaccia Randy Ciaccia,
Anna Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1927 Son
View Record Mary Jane Ciaccia Randy Ciaccia,
Anna Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1928 Daughter"
To clarify:
Randy Coaccia-head b. 1896
Anna-wife-abt 1903
Angelo-son-abt 1921
Joseph-sone abt 1922
Anthony-son-abt.1925
Dominick-son-abt.1927
Mary Jane-daug-abt 1928
This is his family in 1930!
View Record Randy Ciaccia Anna Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1896 Italy Head
View Record Anna Ciaccia Randy Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1903 Wife
View Record Angelo Ciaccia Randy Ciaccia,
Anna Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1921 Son
View Record Joseph Ciaccia Randy Ciaccia,
Anna Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1922 Son
View Record Anthony Ciaccia Randy Ciaccia,
Anna Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1925 Son
View Record Dominick Ciaccia Randy Ciaccia,
Anna Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1927 Son
View Record Mary Jane Ciaccia Randy Ciaccia,
Anna Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1928 Daughter"
To clarify:
Randy Coaccia-head b. 1896
Anna-wife-abt 1903
Angelo-son-abt 1921
Joseph-sone abt 1922
Anthony-son-abt.1925
Dominick-son-abt.1927
Mary Jane-daug-abt 1928
This is his family in 1930!
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: The Surname Ciaccia
chach1881: Yesterday I replied your email, about this your question.chach1881 wrote:Hey there, I am new to the site and it looks like an awesome site. I'm trying to do some research on my surname here and was wondering if anyone knows the pronunciation, origin, and definition of my last name "Ciaccia". The only thing I could find was what looked like a beach in Sardina called "La Ciaccia". I have and so has my family which is from Rochester, NY always pronounced our surname "Chacha", which doesn't seem right. Anyways, if anyone is willing to help me out with this, and let me know where you were able to find this information, it would be great. Thanks again to anyone who is willing to help me with this monumental task.
now again same question here.. ? What is possible to know about Ciaccia surname I already said... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: The Surname Ciaccia
Is this your Joseph?
1930 United States Federal Census Recordinfo
about Joseph Ciaccia
Name: Joseph Ciaccia
Age: 8
Estimated birth year: abt 1922
Relation to head-of-house: Son
Father's Name: Randy Ciaccia
Mother's Name: Anna Ciaccia
Home in 1930: Rochester, Monroe, New York
Nuccia
1930 United States Federal Census Recordinfo
about Joseph Ciaccia
Name: Joseph Ciaccia
Age: 8
Estimated birth year: abt 1922
Relation to head-of-house: Son
Father's Name: Randy Ciaccia
Mother's Name: Anna Ciaccia
Home in 1930: Rochester, Monroe, New York
Nuccia
Re: The Surname Ciaccia
Suanj:
I did not receive any email from you. I am just looking for what "ciaccia" is defined as, and how they pronounce it in italy, and what city the "ciaccia's" came from.
nuccia: In regards to the other post, Joseph Ciaccia is my grandfather, Thank you for doing that research, but that previous post wtih all the family member names is a bit confusing
I did not receive any email from you. I am just looking for what "ciaccia" is defined as, and how they pronounce it in italy, and what city the "ciaccia's" came from.
nuccia: In regards to the other post, Joseph Ciaccia is my grandfather, Thank you for doing that research, but that previous post wtih all the family member names is a bit confusing
Re: The Surname Ciaccia
No?
I receveid this email by Brian:
"Hey there, trying to find the origin, pronunciation, and meaning of my
last name, "ciaccia"...
Fri May 26 15:13:04 2006
and my reply:
"
the pronounciation is CHAA-CHAA;
Ciaccia surname( also exist other version as Ciaccio, Ciacci, Di Ciaccio) coming from middle age's first name of Ciaccio...
suanj"
Fri May 26 18:03:37 2006
well perhaps is another Ciaccia descendant...
suanj
I receveid this email by Brian:
"Hey there, trying to find the origin, pronunciation, and meaning of my
last name, "ciaccia"...
Fri May 26 15:13:04 2006
and my reply:
"
the pronounciation is CHAA-CHAA;
Ciaccia surname( also exist other version as Ciaccio, Ciacci, Di Ciaccio) coming from middle age's first name of Ciaccio...
suanj"
Fri May 26 18:03:37 2006
well perhaps is another Ciaccia descendant...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: The Surname Ciaccia
Your welcome chach1881,
One of our other members posted the other ones, I only found Joseph...sorry if you were confused. If you like, let me know and I will post Joseph's census info which shows his family members. If not then we'll leave it as it is, ok?
Hope suanj was able to answer your question.
Nuccia
One of our other members posted the other ones, I only found Joseph...sorry if you were confused. If you like, let me know and I will post Joseph's census info which shows his family members. If not then we'll leave it as it is, ok?
Hope suanj was able to answer your question.
Nuccia
Re: The Surname Ciaccia
jcsm400 wrote:"Just in case you do get interested in tracing your family, here is the 1930 census information.
View Record Randy Ciaccia Anna Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1896 Italy Head
View Record Anna Ciaccia Randy Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1903 Wife
View Record Angelo Ciaccia Randy Ciaccia,
Anna Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1921 Son
View Record Joseph Ciaccia Randy Ciaccia,
Anna Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1922 Son
View Record Anthony Ciaccia Randy Ciaccia,
Anna Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1925 Son
View Record Dominick Ciaccia Randy Ciaccia,
Anna Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1927 Son
View Record Mary Jane Ciaccia Randy Ciaccia,
Anna Ciaccia Rochester, Monroe, NY abt 1928 Daughter"
To clarify:
Randy Coaccia-head b. 1896
Anna-wife-abt 1903
Angelo-son-abt 1921
Joseph-sone abt 1922
Anthony-son-abt.1925
Dominick-son-abt.1927
Mary Jane-daug-abt 1928
This is his family in 1930!
Something is messed up
Also had hard time getting on the site this morning
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: The Surname Ciaccia
I had the same problem Joyce...site crashed in the middle of a post! Thankfully it's fixed now. Edmondo has not responded to my email so maybe he's not even aware of the problem.
Nuccia
Nuccia
Re: The Surname Ciaccia
Hi Everyone,
I had a huge post written for the Poster and it was totally wiped out. I'm going to try again.
To the Poster - "The surname Ciaccia"
This is just to clarify some information.
Suanj gave you how to pronounce your surname.
Ricbru gave you detailed information about your surname such as where the surname is located in Italy, people who came into the USA with your surname, etc.
Joyce and Nuccia gave you information from the 1930 census about your grandfather Joseph.
Now I'll state that IF you want to trace your grandfather's family back, then the 1930 census gives you some great clues. Per the 1930 census, it states that Randy and Anna are the parents of Joseph. It also states that Randy was born in Italy and came into the USA about 1910 and that he was Naturalized by 1930. It also states that Randy and Anna were married about 1919 in New York. Joyce also listed the list of children they had. I'm sure someone will post the census for you.
Now I found this information in the 1920 census which I believe is Randy and if the surname is pronounced Chaachaa, then I would agree even more. Per this census, Randy came into the USA about 1918. Therefore, Randy was Naturalized between 1920-1930. The Naturalization Record for Randy could state where in Italy he was from.
Name: Rendale Chacha
Age: 24 years
Estimated birth year: abt 1896
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Rochester Ward 15, Monroe, New York
Sex: Male
Marital status: Single
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Year of immigration: 1918
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 942
Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: Rochester Ward 15, Monroe, New York; Roll: T625_1123; Page: 12A; Enumeration District: 168; Image: 942
Here is Randy and Anna's Death Information. You can send away for his Death Certificate. If it's filled out properly, you could get the names of his parents.
Name: Randy Ciaccia
Last Residence: 14611 Rochester, Monroe, New York,
Born: 5 Mar 1896
Died: Apr 1974
Name: Anna Ciaccia
Last Residence: 14616 Rochester, Monroe, New York,
Born: 5 Sep 1903
Died: 29 Nov 1993
I hope this helps some clarify things
Trish
I had a huge post written for the Poster and it was totally wiped out. I'm going to try again.
To the Poster - "The surname Ciaccia"
This is just to clarify some information.
Suanj gave you how to pronounce your surname.
Ricbru gave you detailed information about your surname such as where the surname is located in Italy, people who came into the USA with your surname, etc.
Joyce and Nuccia gave you information from the 1930 census about your grandfather Joseph.
Now I'll state that IF you want to trace your grandfather's family back, then the 1930 census gives you some great clues. Per the 1930 census, it states that Randy and Anna are the parents of Joseph. It also states that Randy was born in Italy and came into the USA about 1910 and that he was Naturalized by 1930. It also states that Randy and Anna were married about 1919 in New York. Joyce also listed the list of children they had. I'm sure someone will post the census for you.
Now I found this information in the 1920 census which I believe is Randy and if the surname is pronounced Chaachaa, then I would agree even more. Per this census, Randy came into the USA about 1918. Therefore, Randy was Naturalized between 1920-1930. The Naturalization Record for Randy could state where in Italy he was from.
Name: Rendale Chacha
Age: 24 years
Estimated birth year: abt 1896
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Rochester Ward 15, Monroe, New York
Sex: Male
Marital status: Single
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Year of immigration: 1918
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 942
Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: Rochester Ward 15, Monroe, New York; Roll: T625_1123; Page: 12A; Enumeration District: 168; Image: 942
Here is Randy and Anna's Death Information. You can send away for his Death Certificate. If it's filled out properly, you could get the names of his parents.
Name: Randy Ciaccia
Last Residence: 14611 Rochester, Monroe, New York,
Born: 5 Mar 1896
Died: Apr 1974
Name: Anna Ciaccia
Last Residence: 14616 Rochester, Monroe, New York,
Born: 5 Sep 1903
Died: 29 Nov 1993
I hope this helps some clarify things
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Re: The Surname Ciaccia
Hi Again,
I found these two manifests on Ellis Island interesting. However, the Naturalization records for Randy would state where in Italy he was from.
Caussio,Rodolfo ..., Italy 1910 16 1894
Ciocca,Raniero Aquila, Italy 1920 22 1898
Smile for me!:)
Trish
I found these two manifests on Ellis Island interesting. However, the Naturalization records for Randy would state where in Italy he was from.
Caussio,Rodolfo ..., Italy 1910 16 1894
Ciocca,Raniero Aquila, Italy 1920 22 1898
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Re: The Surname Ciaccia
Here's the link to the census Trish found for Rendale Chacha
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9461/imagex0hd.gif
Hope this helps.
Nuccia
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9461/imagex0hd.gif
Hope this helps.
Nuccia



