?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

Nuccia,

You're welcome!

The LDS volunteer at my local FHC told me this.....just a brief explanation since it's against their policy to discuss their religion to nonmembers who use the center.

I have also heard that all new filming being done will be digitized & availble not @ local FHC, but on a pay site.......not sure when in the future this will happen, but they (my local FHC members) are say about eight years.

When you go to your local FHC, ask them about Granite Mountain in Utah....interesting story.

Joyce
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Hi jscm
Like Nuccia I didnt know either why the Mormans had recorded the data onto film. Many many people will have been grateful to them for doing this because when you do discover long lost family, even when they are long gone from this earth it still gives you a feeling that somehow there is a connection and you 'know' them as part of you. The fact that this information has been made available to everyone regardless of name,creed or colour says a lot for them.---this forum and all the people who help here go into that catagory too. This world today would become a much better place if more people worked like this.

God Bless you all

Emmy
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Would like a little advice please
I have never used 'films' before so When the 'films' come I know they will be in Italian but would the marriage/births be registered with the surnames first as in Britain. What happens when there is a middle name? I know on my father's birth certificate (reg. in England) he was registered as his surname being Batiste (this was my grandfathers middle name) and he was given my grandfathers surname- Difilippis- as his middle name.
In Italy do they put the surname before the middle name on registers or vice versa?
i.e. Batiste Difilipppis Giovanni or Difilippis Batiste Giovanni or Difilippis Giovanni Batiste.
I have been reading about the Italian custom of how names were given but it seemed it was mostly the first/christian name that was passed on. Could Batiste perhaps have been one of my g. grandmothers maiden names?
Thought if Iknew the format it would save me time when the films do arrive.
Confused!!!!!
Emmy
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Emmy,

Usually the index (if there is one) is by surname first & I usually find the index after the records. But this doesn't always hold true (I have found indexes by first name first). I find it helpful to just go thru the film slowly (not looking for a particular record) just to get a handle on how the film is laid out(some films have just births or just deaths or just marriages on them. others have all three on the same film).

Hope this helps.

Joyce
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Thanks Joyce
Know what to do now just need to have patience and wait for the 'films' to arrive.
Marisa has told me about the UK site for Ancestry.co.uk where you can buy 10 credits for only £4.95 I'm going to 'have-a-go at this. No signing up for 6 months just a one off payment.
Many thanks again Joyce
Will keep you updated
God Bless
Emmy
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi Emmy

Battista is very unlikely to have been a maiden name. When it is in conjunction with Giovanni as a first name, Giovanni Battista means John the Baptist, so it is almost like two parts of the one name if you see what I mean.

Marisa xx
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Hi Marisa
That makes sense-Giovanni Battista- John the Baptist. I had never thought of that combination. Another problem solved.
Will let you know how I get on with Ancestry I found out how to register last night but Im waiting until after I come back from my art group this afternoon before I join because if I do it now there is no way I'd be able to go out!!!!
Thanks again Marisa
God Bless
Emmy
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Me again!!
On looking over the documents I have on one of them where it states that my grandparents were married in July 1878 Sant'Elia Fiumerapido -just after this has been put the word FERENZO looks like its been an afterthought because the print is very poor. I hadn't noticed this before any ideas to what this could mean? Could it maybe mean Frosinone?
Emmy
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Emmy,

Would like to see the document. Can you post a link by using a hosting service, imageshack.com or any other service?
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Hi Joyce
Now you've got me! I have no idea how to do that on the computer. I found this name (FERENZO) (which I thought may be the name of a place but I couldnt find a place by that name in Italy) on an extract of Michelangelo's birth certificate where it gave details of where and when my grandparents were married. I'll phone my daughter or perhaps better still, my grandson tonight and see if they can explain to me how to do what you ask. Dont kow if it would show up if I took a digital photo and emailed it to you but i'm not sure about how to send the private emails on this site either. Need to go for a course on computing!
See what I can do
Thanks again
Emmy
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Emmy,

Grandson is a good chance. Can't believe how smart kids are today!

But just in case>

Do you have a scanner hooked up to your computer? If you do, you can scan document to your document folder, then if you want can email it to me as an attachment & I'll post the link. Just pm me & I'll send you my email address.

See at the end of a post "profile" button & "pm" button? Just click on "pm" on one of my posts & you can send me a message.

Let
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Hi again Joyce
I have just sent an email to you re Marisa's and your instructions via this site I only hope it reaches its destination and is not floating about in cyberspace like some of the emails I've sent in the past.
Thanks for helping
Emmy
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Hi jcsm
It me again. I've sent a private message to you two different ways and it looks as though they have been sent. So hopefully you'll get at least one of them.
Thanks for having patience with me
God Bless
Emmy
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

Here is the link to Michelangelo's birth act.



http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/8632 ... ord9kj.jpg


The word "FERENZO" is in the middle section of the document.


Any ideas as to what it means?
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Marisa6 »

Hmm - that has me flummoxed. In a Scottish birth certificate that particular box lists the names of the parents, occupation of the father, and the date and place of marriage. That note 'Ferenzo' looks as though it has been added later - which is strictly prohibited under Scots law. A certificate cannot be altered once it has been written. If an alteration is neccessary an entry must be made in a special book called the Register of Corrected Entries, and a note then left in the margin to the extreme left of the original certificate. Emmy - you have a copy of the original. I can't make out if there is a note in the margin because it goes off the page. There is a suggestive smudge!! :lol:

Sorry - I'm off at a tangent! i don't know what it means either!

Marisa xx
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
Post Reply