Picozzi family ancestry
Re: Picozzi family ancestry
also Pacitti and Ventre are surnames of Pozzilli.. suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Picozzi family ancestry
Hello everyone,
Hope you are all OK. Thank you all so much for your information. I never imagined this post could cause so much interest, but it's fantastic to see. I've got so much to do and think about. I really feel like I'm gonna get somewhere with this research, and it's all down to you guys - Marisa, Suanj, Wldspirit and Nuccia especially.
I went to St Annes Church in Soho today, as it's only round the corner from where I work. They didn't have any family records at the church, but did give me the contact details of the archives in Westminster (just as Marisa suggested earlier - http://www.westminster.gov.uk/archives).
I'm off on holiday tomorrow (Thursday), so I guess I'll have to put it on hold for a week. Until then I'll relax my brain, so that when I get back I'll get up to some hard thinkin' on my strategy for finally figuring out where the Picozzi family originally came from.
'Til then, thanks once again to you all, and I look forward to catching up with you when I get back.
David
Hope you are all OK. Thank you all so much for your information. I never imagined this post could cause so much interest, but it's fantastic to see. I've got so much to do and think about. I really feel like I'm gonna get somewhere with this research, and it's all down to you guys - Marisa, Suanj, Wldspirit and Nuccia especially.
I went to St Annes Church in Soho today, as it's only round the corner from where I work. They didn't have any family records at the church, but did give me the contact details of the archives in Westminster (just as Marisa suggested earlier - http://www.westminster.gov.uk/archives).
I'm off on holiday tomorrow (Thursday), so I guess I'll have to put it on hold for a week. Until then I'll relax my brain, so that when I get back I'll get up to some hard thinkin' on my strategy for finally figuring out where the Picozzi family originally came from.
'Til then, thanks once again to you all, and I look forward to catching up with you when I get back.
David
Re: Picozzi family ancestry
Hi guys,
Just back from holiday in Kefalonia. Had a lovely week's break. There's just been a mini heatwave over in Greece, so the weather was fantastic. We picked a good week to go as well because it rained most of the week in London, so we escaped the dismal weather in the UK.
Anyway, I hope you've all had a good week. I've written a letter which I'm going to send to a few Picozzi's I've looked up in the phone book. Don't think I'm quite ready to ring them up out of the blue, but a letter should be OK.
After reading a few of the earlier posts, it seems that Pozzilli is quite a popular place for Picozzi heritage. I also looked up a website that shows the surnames of people living there, and Picozzi is on the list. Do you think it would be worth writing a letter to the Ufficio di Stato Civile in Pozzilli enquiring about Carlo Picozzi? I might just give it a try. Nothing to lose.
Right, gotta go. Let me know if anyone has any further ideas or useful information. I'll be going down to the Westminster council archives in the week, so I'll keep you posted on anything I find out.
Cheers,
David
Just back from holiday in Kefalonia. Had a lovely week's break. There's just been a mini heatwave over in Greece, so the weather was fantastic. We picked a good week to go as well because it rained most of the week in London, so we escaped the dismal weather in the UK.
Anyway, I hope you've all had a good week. I've written a letter which I'm going to send to a few Picozzi's I've looked up in the phone book. Don't think I'm quite ready to ring them up out of the blue, but a letter should be OK.
After reading a few of the earlier posts, it seems that Pozzilli is quite a popular place for Picozzi heritage. I also looked up a website that shows the surnames of people living there, and Picozzi is on the list. Do you think it would be worth writing a letter to the Ufficio di Stato Civile in Pozzilli enquiring about Carlo Picozzi? I might just give it a try. Nothing to lose.
Right, gotta go. Let me know if anyone has any further ideas or useful information. I'll be going down to the Westminster council archives in the week, so I'll keep you posted on anything I find out.
Cheers,
David
Re: Picozzi family ancestry
David: you can to write
Ufficio Demografico
Via Roma, 1
86077 Pozzilli (IS)
Italy
Fax: + 39 0865 925543
regards, suanj
Ufficio Demografico
Via Roma, 1
86077 Pozzilli (IS)
Italy
Fax: + 39 0865 925543
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Picozzi family ancestry
Thanks for the address, suanj. I'll write to them as well. I cannot speak Italian so I hope they'll have someone there who can translate my letter there. Anyway, it should be OK.
Thanks once again,
David
Thanks once again,
David
Re: Picozzi family ancestry
you can use the italian form letter http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp
regards, suanj
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Picozzi family ancestry
Thanks again, suanj. You've been a great help.
I have another question. On the census records for Carlo and family in 1901 there are other Italians living in the same housing block. Can anyone work out what their surnames are? I think it was Marisa who said earlier in the post about finding if these people came from the same town. I'd be interested if they are friends who emmigrated from the same area of Italy and moved near the Picozzis.
Anyway, if anyone can understand the handwriting of the Italian surnames on this image that might prove to be a great help:
http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/1565/imagex7ty.gif
Thanks all!
David
I have another question. On the census records for Carlo and family in 1901 there are other Italians living in the same housing block. Can anyone work out what their surnames are? I think it was Marisa who said earlier in the post about finding if these people came from the same town. I'd be interested if they are friends who emmigrated from the same area of Italy and moved near the Picozzis.
Anyway, if anyone can understand the handwriting of the Italian surnames on this image that might prove to be a great help:
http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/1565/imagex7ty.gif
Thanks all!
David
Re: Picozzi family ancestry
Looks like Albertelloni and Piombini I think???
Marisa
Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
Re: Picozzi family ancestry
Hi Marisa. Good to hear from you. I think you're right. I looked on FreeBMD and it's definitely Hector Piombini, but I'm not sure of Alessandro's surname.
What do you suggest I do to find out if there are any towns in Italy where the Piombini and Picozzi families lived together?
David
What do you suggest I do to find out if there are any towns in Italy where the Piombini and Picozzi families lived together?
David
Re: Picozzi family ancestry
According to FreeBMD the names are Hector Piombini and Alessandro Albertella. Just thought I'd let you all know. They are a lot younger than Carlo but could have been friends of family back in Italy, or it's probably just coincidence that other Italians are living in the same housing block as them. I'll try to dig a little deeper.
David
David
Re: Picozzi family ancestry
It's worth looking into.........many of the Italian families living here came over from the same locale and formed their own community........
wldspirit
wldspirit
Re: Picozzi family ancestry
yes David right: Albertella and PiombiniDalogi wrote:According to FreeBMD the names are Hector Piombini and Alessandro Albertella. Just thought I'd let you all know. They are a lot younger than Carlo but could have been friends of family back in Italy, or it's probably just coincidence that other Italians are living in the same housing block as them. I'll try to dig a little deeper.
David
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Picozzi family ancestry
Hi David
Sorry for not replying earlier - I've been playing football with he boys on Troon beach all day and I have sand where you don't want sand...
http://gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/ is a great page for finding out where in Italy surnames are concentrated.
Marisa
PS - how close is this place to Clerkenwell which was Londons 'Little Italy'?
Sorry for not replying earlier - I've been playing football with he boys on Troon beach all day and I have sand where you don't want sand...
http://gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/ is a great page for finding out where in Italy surnames are concentrated.
Marisa
PS - how close is this place to Clerkenwell which was Londons 'Little Italy'?
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
Re: Picozzi family ancestry
Hi Marisa,
Nice to hear from you again. I've had a look at that website, and it seems Albertella comes mainly from the North of Italy whereas Piombini is very uncommon and dotted around the North also. Not much to go on with those names really. I remember my grandad mentioning Naples when talking about the Picozzis, so I think my ancestors were more Southern-based. still not sure though.
I've had another thought. My great-gran's name was Minnie Palmira Cotton. Her mother's maiden name was Kate Palmira Picozzi. Could Palmira have been a surname used before Picozzi when in Italy? The only reason I ask is because after looking on Familysearch.org for Carlo Picozzi and finding only his marriage in 1875 in England, I came across a Carlo Raffaele Palmieri born in 1845 in Foggia. His father's name is Giuseppe as well, which Carlo called one of his sons. I just started to wander whether he could have used a different surname in England, which is why I'm not finding anything for him in the Italian archives. Just a thought.
There's also a marriage in Napoli in 1822 of Nicola Maria Gaetano Palmieri and wife Fortunata Picozzi. Could these be Carlo's parents and he took his mother's maiden name when arriving in England. Now I'm really going off on a tangent!
Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud now. See you later.
David
Nice to hear from you again. I've had a look at that website, and it seems Albertella comes mainly from the North of Italy whereas Piombini is very uncommon and dotted around the North also. Not much to go on with those names really. I remember my grandad mentioning Naples when talking about the Picozzis, so I think my ancestors were more Southern-based. still not sure though.
I've had another thought. My great-gran's name was Minnie Palmira Cotton. Her mother's maiden name was Kate Palmira Picozzi. Could Palmira have been a surname used before Picozzi when in Italy? The only reason I ask is because after looking on Familysearch.org for Carlo Picozzi and finding only his marriage in 1875 in England, I came across a Carlo Raffaele Palmieri born in 1845 in Foggia. His father's name is Giuseppe as well, which Carlo called one of his sons. I just started to wander whether he could have used a different surname in England, which is why I'm not finding anything for him in the Italian archives. Just a thought.
There's also a marriage in Napoli in 1822 of Nicola Maria Gaetano Palmieri and wife Fortunata Picozzi. Could these be Carlo's parents and he took his mother's maiden name when arriving in England. Now I'm really going off on a tangent!
Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud now. See you later.
David



