Picozzi family ancestry

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by suanj »

david:
-Palmira is a first name
-Palmieri is a surname
they are similar but no equal.
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
Dalogi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 15 May 2006, 00:00
Location: London, England

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Dalogi »

Thanks for the reply, suanj. I was thinking there could be a connection, but you're probably right. It was probably just a middle name for the two ladies and not a surname at all.

I've got to concentrate on the Picozzi name, but I can't find any more reference to his name in Italy. I'll keep looking though.

David
User avatar
Dalogi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 15 May 2006, 00:00
Location: London, England

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Dalogi »

Hello everybody,

Hope you are OK. I've had a little bit of a breakthrough today. After looking through the phone book to find people with the Picozzi surname I wrote to them and told them about my research. A lady called Pauline emailed me who says her dad's name was Charles Picozzi and grandad's name was Carlo. Although it's not the same Carlo I was originally looking for it struck me that this could be the grandson of my Carlo. His first son was called Charles and this could have been passed on generation to generation as is the Italian naming custom. I may have found an ancestral link here. Very exciting!

Look forward to hearing any further info. I've written to a few other places such as family history centres and places for Italian state records, but haven't heard back yet. Fingers still crossed though.

Speak to you later
David
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi David & Everyone,

Been going thru this post & think I goofed! :roll: Have done some surfing & think St.Ann's Church is the Church of England & St Mary's maybe the Catholc Church?

Can anyone comfirm this for us?

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Emmy »

Hi jcsm
St Anne's Church, Soho is listed as Church of England couldn't find a 'St. Anne's' Catholic Church in that area.
Emmy
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Marisa6 »

St Annes is probably the name of the parish for the census, being the local established church of the state (ie Church of England). The Westminster archive will be able be able to point David in the right direction. They will know which Catholic church the local Italian community would most likely have attended.

David - have you looked at 'genes reunited' http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/ There are a few Picozzis on that.

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
User avatar
Dalogi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 15 May 2006, 00:00
Location: London, England

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Dalogi »

Hiya,

I've had a quick look at genesreunited.co.uk. I may have to look further into it if there are a few Picozzi's on there.

Although St Annes church is the civil parish, it was the Anglican church of St Mary's-the-Virgin that was the ecclesiastical parish at that time. I'm not sure what Catholic church they would have attended. They might not have, as I'm not sure whether Carlo's wife Emma was Catholic herself.

Anyway, there are records for both churchs at the Wetminster archives so i'll have to take a trip down there to find out.

Thanks once again for your comments and info.

David
User avatar
Dalogi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 15 May 2006, 00:00
Location: London, England

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Dalogi »

Hello all,

I took a trip down to the Westminster Archives last week, and I must say the amount of information in there is amazing. I went in a lunch break from work, and only had a small amount of time to get to know the microfilm machine. I found Carlo's marriage reference, which I already knew but I thought I'd have practise at searching the archives to find what I want. I had a quick look for any reference to his death, but I realised it would take much longer than an hour due to the fact I hadn't a clue when he died, or even if he had died in England at all.

Anyway, it was a brief introduction to the archive centre, so I'd have to take a trip down there when I have a bit more time on my hands.

David

P.S. Happy belated birthday to Marisa! And thanks for all the help and information you've offered me (and countless others) on Italiangenealogy.com!
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi David

Glad to hear you are having fun at the archive. Start with Emmas death listing. I recall that her death was registered in 1908. It may note whether she was a widow or not which narrows down the timeframe for Carlos death.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I'm a bit embarrased by all of this attention. I've not really been here long enough to merit it :oops:

Marisa :D
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by nuccia »

Marisa,

Its not the length of time you've been here that's important, it's that you are here that is! :D

Don't sell yourself short, or be embarrassed...we love you!

Nuccia :D
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Marisa6 »

Aw - now I'm misting up again :? Thanks Nuccia :wink:

Marisa xxxx
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by jcsm400 »

Marisa,

Like Nuccia said, it's not about time......some people you "meet" & there is an instant bonding...you are one of those people that others bond to easily. Love your insights....keep the laughs coming!

XOXO.....
nonna j
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Marisa6 »

Oooh - I'm sitting here all pink faced and polishing up my halo :lol: :lol:

Thanks guys - you have made me feel really good today. Its great to have such nice friends! Now I feel so wonderful I will go and be nice to my kids instead of yelling at them like usual :wink:

Sorry about the love-in David! I promise we aren't forgetting your Picozzis!

Marisa xx
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by jcsm400 »

Just speaking the plain true!

Anyway, I think we are hijacking everyones' threads for our chit-chats.
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Dalogi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 15 May 2006, 00:00
Location: London, England

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Dalogi »

Don't worry about hi-jacking my thread. I'm just glad it's being used to spread a bit of love. :D

Anyway, to keep you up-to-date with the Picozzi search, I've sent away for the marriage certificate of Emma and Carlo, because it should state the groom's fathers name and occupation. This should give me a further name to look up.

I am considering sending off for Emma's death certificate and my great great gran's birth certificate, however from the stuff i've read there will be no reference to Carlo on the death certificate, and no reference to where the father (carlo) was born on Kate's birth certificate. Confused? I am. :lol:

I may just get them anyway, coz they're only £7.00 each from the General Registry Office.

I also received a letter back from the Citta di Caserta, which is one of the places I wrote to. I had trouble translating it, but it seemed they had ticked the third section which featured the word 'impossibilito' which didn't give me much hope.

Anyway, the search continues... :wink:

David
Post Reply