name of child

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
scaresmares
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 27
Joined: 24 Aug 2020, 13:39

name of child

Post by scaresmares »

Name of chid and what the Pula means after the fathers name

thanks
Capture.JPG
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: name of child

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Her name is Ermenegilda Garlatti.

Pula is both a town in Sardinia, and also a surname, but I'm not 100% sure what it is saying there about the father. Can you please link me to the complete online record. Supplying us with just a small portion of a record often proves counterproductive. Thank you.

Angela
scaresmares
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 27
Joined: 24 Aug 2020, 13:39

Re: name of child

Post by scaresmares »

Egilda B.jpg
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 05:09 Her name is Ermenegilda Garlatti.

Pula is both a town in Sardinia, and also a surname, but I'm not 100% sure what it is saying there about the father. Can you please link me to the complete online record. Supplying us with just a small portion of a record often proves counterproductive. Thank you.

Angela
scaresmares
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 27
Joined: 24 Aug 2020, 13:39

Re: name of child

Post by scaresmares »

record-image_ (55).jpg
And the fathers marriage record
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: name of child

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you for providing both the birth and marriage records. I'm not 100% sure. In the Birth record I think that it is saying "Ermenegilda Garlatti di Domenico da Pula" which I interpret is "Ermenegilda Garlatti daughter of Domenico from Pula".

However, in the Marriage Record I am reading that Domenico Garlatti was both born and living in Forgaria, Udine Province. Then in the side column I am reading "Domenico Garlatti di Antonio da Pula" which I am interpeting as "Domenico Garlatti, son of Antonio from Pula". So I'm totally perplexed.

There's is no mention in the body of either the Birth Record or Marriage Record that mentions anything about Pula.

I think another pair of eyes would be helpful.

(Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you. I had typed up something previously and then lost it when I reclicked on one of your images, so I've had to retype it again.)

Angela
scaresmares
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 27
Joined: 24 Aug 2020, 13:39

Re: name of child

Post by scaresmares »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 06:17 Thank you for providing both the birth and marriage records. I'm not 100% sure. In the Birth record I think that it is saying "Ermenegilda Garlatti di Domenico da Pula" which I interpret is "Ermenegilda Garlatti daughter of Domenico from Pula".

However, in the Marriage Record I am reading that Domenico Garlatti was both born and living in Forgaria, Udine Province. Then in the side column I am reading "Domenico Garlatti di Antonio da Pula" which I am interpeting as "Domenico Garlatti, son of Antonio from Pula". So I'm totally perplexed.

There's is no mention in the body of either the Birth Record or Marriage Record that mentions anything about Pula.

I think another pair of eyes would be helpful.

(Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you. I had typed up something previously and then lost it when I reclicked on one of your images, so I've had to retype it again.)

Angela
you and me both, and on what i'm assuming is their other sons marriage record, no mention of Pula. Also the Surname Garlatti seems to be from Forgaria nel Friuli
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: name of child

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

scaresmares wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 06:26
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 06:17 Thank you for providing both the birth and marriage records. I'm not 100% sure. In the Birth record I think that it is saying "Ermenegilda Garlatti di Domenico da Pula" which I interpret is "Ermenegilda Garlatti daughter of Domenico from Pula".

However, in the Marriage Record I am reading that Domenico Garlatti was both born and living in Forgaria, Udine Province. Then in the side column I am reading "Domenico Garlatti di Antonio da Pula" which I am interpeting as "Domenico Garlatti, son of Antonio from Pula". So I'm totally perplexed.

There's is no mention in the body of either the Birth Record or Marriage Record that mentions anything about Pula.

I think another pair of eyes would be helpful.

(Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you. I had typed up something previously and then lost it when I reclicked on one of your images, so I've had to retype it again.)

Angela
you and me both, and on what i'm assuming is their other sons marriage record, no mention of Pula. Also the Surname Garlatti seems to be from Forgaria nel Friuli
Yes the name Garlatti is found in Forgaria.

Maybe I'm missing something here. I've possibly been sitting at my computer too long today. I'll go for my daily walk in the cold air and wake up a bit and have another think about it.

Angela :)
scaresmares
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 27
Joined: 24 Aug 2020, 13:39

Re: name of child

Post by scaresmares »

Maddelana Marriage.jpg
Domenico Mellan B.jpg
it's also not the 1st time i've come across the squiggle with another Name/place, Maddalena Costa Being the cousin of Domenico Garlatti
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: name of child

Post by mmogno »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 06:40 ... I am reading that Domenico Garlatti was both born and living in Forgaria, Udine Province. Then in the side column I am reading "Domenico Garlatti di Antonio d(ett)o Pula" which I am interpeting as "Domenico Garlatti, son of Antonio said Pula".
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
scaresmares
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 27
Joined: 24 Aug 2020, 13:39

Re: name of child

Post by scaresmares »

mmogno wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 14:24
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 06:40 ... I am reading that Domenico Garlatti was both born and living in Forgaria, Udine Province. Then in the side column I am reading "Domenico Garlatti di Antonio d(ett)o Pula" which I am interpeting as "Domenico Garlatti, son of Antonio said Pula".
Slightly more confused now,

The Squiggle (lets call it that) appears quite a bit, usually with either names or places. Only on some of the children of Antonio Costa and Luigia Agarena (My main family of interest) it is there and is usually Celest. WIll upload when I get a chance. However it is not on Antonio's death record
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: name of child

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

scaresmares wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 04:28
mmogno wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 14:24
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 06:40 ... I am reading that Domenico Garlatti was both born and living in Forgaria, Udine Province. Then in the side column I am reading "Domenico Garlatti di Antonio d(ett)o Pula" which I am interpeting as "Domenico Garlatti, son of Antonio said Pula".
Slightly more confused now,

The Squiggle (lets call it that) appears quite a bit, usually with either names or places. Only on some of the children of Antonio Costa and Luigia Agarena (My main family of interest) it is there and is usually Celest. WIll upload when I get a chance. However it is not on Antonio's death record
So, when you see the "squiggle" (as long as it is the same "squiggle") the name/s written after the "squiggle" will most likely be nicknames. Nicknames show up from time to time in Italian civil records for obvious reasons.

Now that mmogno :) has clarified that the "squiggle" is actually the word "detto" which has been abbreviated to d...o (the letter "o" is raised above the letter "d"), this is what I understand:

yes, detto = said ....... but in the context of this record the abbreviated word "detto" is telling us that it is saying "also known as"

Therefore, going back to the original request here, the translation (should be): "Domenico Garlatti, son of Antonio, also known as Pula"

I hope my explanation here helps, scaresmares. (I'm 99.9% sure I'm correct. Hopefully someone else will confirm.)

Angela
scaresmares
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 27
Joined: 24 Aug 2020, 13:39

Re: name of child

Post by scaresmares »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 21:23
scaresmares wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 04:28
mmogno wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 14:24
Slightly more confused now,

The Squiggle (lets call it that) appears quite a bit, usually with either names or places. Only on some of the children of Antonio Costa and Luigia Agarena (My main family of interest) it is there and is usually Celest. WIll upload when I get a chance. However it is not on Antonio's death record
So, when you see the "squiggle" (as long as it is the same "squiggle") the name/s written after the "squiggle" will most likely be nicknames. Nicknames show up from time to time in Italian civil records for obvious reasons.

Now that mmogno :) has clarified that the "squiggle" is actually the word "detto" which has been abbreviated to d...o (the letter "o" is raised above the letter "d"), this is what I understand:

yes, detto = said ....... but in the context of this record the abbreviated word "detto" is telling us that it is saying "also known as"

Therefore, going back to the original request here, the translation (should be): "Domenico Garlatti, son of Antonio, also known as Pula"

I hope my explanation here helps, scaresmares. (I'm 99.9% sure I'm correct. Hopefully someone else will confirm.)

Angela
THanks you so muich
That makes so much more sense, with the other information I have.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: name of child

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

scaresmares wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 01:18
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 21:23
scaresmares wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 04:28

Slightly more confused now,

The Squiggle (lets call it that) appears quite a bit, usually with either names or places. Only on some of the children of Antonio Costa and Luigia Agarena (My main family of interest) it is there and is usually Celest. WIll upload when I get a chance. However it is not on Antonio's death record
So, when you see the "squiggle" (as long as it is the same "squiggle") the name/s written after the "squiggle" will most likely be nicknames. Nicknames show up from time to time in Italian civil records for obvious reasons.

Now that mmogno :) has clarified that the "squiggle" is actually the word "detto" which has been abbreviated to d...o (the letter "o" is raised above the letter "d"), this is what I understand:

yes, detto = said ....... but in the context of this record the abbreviated word "detto" is telling us that it is saying "also known as"

Therefore, going back to the original request here, the translation (should be): "Domenico Garlatti, son of Antonio, also known as Pula"

I hope my explanation here helps, scaresmares. (I'm 99.9% sure I'm correct. Hopefully someone else will confirm.)

Angela
THanks you so muich
That makes so much more sense, with the other information I have.
Fantastic! So pleased to hear that. Glad we finally got it sorted.

Angela
scaresmares
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 27
Joined: 24 Aug 2020, 13:39

Re: name of child

Post by scaresmares »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 08:50
scaresmares wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 01:18
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 20 Sep 2020, 21:23

So, when you see the "squiggle" (as long as it is the same "squiggle") the name/s written after the "squiggle" will most likely be nicknames. Nicknames show up from time to time in Italian civil records for obvious reasons.

Now that mmogno :) has clarified that the "squiggle" is actually the word "detto" which has been abbreviated to d...o (the letter "o" is raised above the letter "d"), this is what I understand:

yes, detto = said ....... but in the context of this record the abbreviated word "detto" is telling us that it is saying "also known as"

Therefore, going back to the original request here, the translation (should be): "Domenico Garlatti, son of Antonio, also known as Pula"

I hope my explanation here helps, scaresmares. (I'm 99.9% sure I'm correct. Hopefully someone else will confirm.)

Angela
THanks you so muich
That makes so much more sense, with the other information I have.
Fantastic! So pleased to hear that. Glad we finally got it sorted.

Angela
Thanks again for your help
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: name of child

Post by mmogno »

@Angela
Sì, bene così :D .
L'unico dubbio che ho è se il soprannome "Pula" si riferisca a Domenico, o ad Antonio, oppure a tutto quel ramo della famiglia Garlatti. Se compare in documenti di altri Garlatti, sarebbe di tutta la famiglia, come mi sembra più probabile.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
Post Reply