Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dcameransi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 25
Joined: 17 Jul 2018, 13:16

Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio

Post by dcameransi »

Tessa,
I do have them. Please see attached. However, the 1905 and 1907 documents contradict one another.

Regarding the name Vincenzo. I had met with a distant cousin of mine last Christmas for the first time. He was my father's first cousin. James had died when he was only about 3 years old, so he had no recollection of him, but he did remember Lizzie. During our talk with my cousin, Frank, kept referring to James as "Vincent Carmine". I haven't found any documentation to support this name, but when I asked him how he came up with the name Vincent, he said he couldn't recall. That was just the name they knew him by. He had no idea either why he went by James Samuel. It wasn't until after that meeting, I read on this forum that many Italians with the name Vincenzo would try to "Americanize" by using the name James; since phonetically the nickname Cenz and James sounded pretty similar. I've since been including the name Vincenzo in my searches, but still not much luck.

Also, you'll notice on the attached documents, James claims to have departed from Naples and Liverpool, yet on both he claims to have arrived in New York. Again, it during my conversation with my cousin that he told me, through oral tradition, both he and Lizzie entered the U.S. through Canada, not New York. This would support US Border Crossing document I posted earlier. That ship, the Lake Ontario, had departed from Liverpool.

Hopefully, you'll be able to make some sense out of it.

Thank you everyone for all of your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dcameransi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 25
Joined: 17 Jul 2018, 13:16

Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio

Post by dcameransi »

Here is the 1910
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio

Post by Tessa78 »

Thank you for the additional information.
We'll take a look and see what we can find...

To have filed a Petition to Naturalize, James would have also filed a Declaration of Intent prior.
When a DOI is filed, there would be a verification of the immigrant's legal arrival (certificate of arrival).
All of these documents should be at NARA - and you can request (for a fee).
Have you done that?

If not, here is the link to request a reproduction of the records.
https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

T.
dcameransi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 25
Joined: 17 Jul 2018, 13:16

Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio

Post by dcameransi »

Thanks Tessa. I've attached what I believe to be the DOI. I couldn't include it previously because the file size was too large so I had to extract the pages I thought pertinent.
I just ordered his naturalization papers form the NARA. Hopefully, the Certificate of Arrival will be included.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dcameransi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 25
Joined: 17 Jul 2018, 13:16

Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio

Post by dcameransi »

Good afternoon everyone. I have made some progress since my last post on this forum a few years ago.
I believe that I have finally found my g-grandfather's birth certificate from the town of Isernia.

No. 188, Carmine Pettilli
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

It appears as though he was abandoned at birth and given to a Teresa Corrado and Onofrio Sassi. This may help explain why I had so much trouble finding him. I also found a birth record of a Carmina Pettilli, in 1867, but she too was abandoned and given to a different family. Perhaps this was a kinder surname to be given to a foundling than some others.

I can find no other record for Carmine until 1902, when he and a female companion are leaving the UK. I have reason to believe he somehow ended up in Cerro al Volturno before emigrating to the US. I feel pretty confident in saying I am in possession of all records from 1902 until his death in 1938 (or at least I've requested all with a negative result).

Can anyone suggest what documents might be available for a child that was abandoned in 1868, and remained in Italy until 1902?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Dan
Kaycee_P_95
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 13 Mar 2025, 19:58

Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio

Post by Kaycee_P_95 »

Hi, my name is Kassidy, I'm not sure that you'll see this, but I'm like 99% sure we're related haha my moms grandparents are Carmine and Letizia Patille or Petilli.

I, too, have been on the hunt for the truth and I keep hitting road blocks. But this forum has been very helpful!

I would love to connect and chat about this, because my mom and I have been looking for who we really are, especially her.
Post Reply