Hello All,
I am helping my mother in law and wife to apply for jus sanguinis in San Francisco. My wifes older brother successfully applied in 2007 at the same consulate. It is my understanding that his documents for the Italian ancestor (such as certificate of no-naturalization and census document) will suffice for my mother in law and wife but that they will need to provide their own vital records.
In addition, when comparing my mother-in-law's brother's copy of form 4 (declaration of deceased ascendant) completed in 2007 against the current one for my wife and MIL, I came across a seemingly significant change in the form. His states that it is to be filled if the ancestor was born OUTSIDE of Italy but is deceased. The current form states that it is to be filled out for a deceased ascendent born IN Italy. This seemingly changes which ascendant they use and requires them to go back one more generation.
Also, pertaining to my MIL's brother's documentation, do I need to include anything to refer the consulate employee to that documentation or will they just find it? Will a cover letter explaining the situation suffice?
