Hi!
I successfully applied for citizenship Jure Sanguinis last December (2019) at the NY Consulate.
At the time, the Consular Official said it would likely take 12-14 months to document our paperwork in Italy and send us our new Italian documents.
With Covid, I am assuming this timeline will be extended (we are at 13 months now). Does anyone have a sense of the delay that we could see from Italy? Our files are going to Calabria, which I think was shut down for a shorter time than offices were in the North.
Thanks!
Timeline for documents from Italy (post Consular appointment)
-
bbivona
- Master

- Posts: 1154
- Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 00:43
- Location: Texas e Sicilia, provincia di Trapani
Re: Timeline for documents from Italy (post Consular appointment)
I went through Houston in August 2019 and was told it would be 11 months. With the COVID delays it ended up being 16 months. The consular official there told me this fall that the delays were about 6 months, but that was a few months back. No idea what the latest lockdowns might have done. A good way to track is the Facebook group "Dual U.S.-Italian Citizenship." In that group they have spreadsheets where people that applied at the various consulates can provide their info as to appointment and approval dates. There is one for NY applicants. I put my data on the spreadsheet for Houston applicants in the group and it worked really well. There are enough participants that you can track progress of NY applicants by date really well, and you can see when yours is likely imminent. You'll also be able to have discussions with participants that applied near the same time as you about other recent interactions they've had with the NY consular officials that might be helpful to you.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
Re: Timeline for documents from Italy (post Consular appointment)
This is fantastic. Thank you for your help!
I assumed ours would be on the slower end since we applied right before the holidays, so I will keep my fingers crossed.
I assumed ours would be on the slower end since we applied right before the holidays, so I will keep my fingers crossed.
-
bbivona
- Master

- Posts: 1154
- Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 00:43
- Location: Texas e Sicilia, provincia di Trapani
Re: Timeline for documents from Italy (post Consular appointment)
To correct my prior post, mine took 14 1/2 months, not 16.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
