I was researching my paternal grandfather for whom I hit a brick wall. I took a hiatus for a few years and have returned to work on it.
My grandfather was Salvatore Piazza (b. circa 1858 assumed in Vallelunga) who was married to Rosalia Savoia (b. 1875 in Vallelunga). Both died in Phillipsburg, New Jersey; he in 1925 and she in 1942.
On Italian Genealogy, I was referred to the birth record of my grandfather, which is here (birth year off from what is on his gravestone in New Jersey):
Birth record of Salvatore Di Piazza
1857 April 24th in the town of Vallelunga Salvatore Di Piazza son of Manfredo Di Piazza age 33 farmer and Rosalia Lo Dato age 32 baptized in Santa Maria Loreto church the same day
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1946840
And his marriage record for Salvatore which is here.
Marriage of Salvatore Piazza and Vincenza Fiorella
INDEX#30
1883 Aug 25th in the town of Vallelunga marriage of Salvatore Piazza age 26(1857 April 24th) farmer born and resides in Vallelunga son of Manfredo Piazza and Rosalia Lo Dato married Vincenza Fiorella age 15 born and resides in Vallelunga daughter of Antonino Fiorella and Liboria Giambelluca
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/ark:/6190
According to these records, Salvatore married Vincenza Fiorella in Vallelunga in 1883. I found in records that indicate three children born to them: Rosalia, Liboria and Michela. Only Liboria survived.
However, I now have a copy of my paternal grandparent’s marriage license from the state of New York. According to it, Salvatore and Rosalia married in New York City in 1902. On it, Salvatore’s father’s name is spelled “Mobre” which I believe is a misspelling of Manfredo (looks like there was an erasure on the form). His mother was listed as Rosalia Lodato. Rosalia’s parents were correctly reported (Vincenzo Savoia and Liboria Piscitello).
If this is correct, it is possible that Salvatore and Vincenza divorced. To put this puzzle together I am looking for the following: (1) a divorce record for the marriage of Vincenza and Salvatore, (2) if divorced a possible marriage certificate for Vincenza (if she remarried), (3) death certificate for Vincenza Fiorella, (4) a death certificate for Salvatore Piazza (I assume if he is my grandfather, there will not be a death certificate in Sicily) but (5) a record indicating when this Salvatore immigrated to the US.
I'd appreciate any help with this brick wall.
Salvatore Piazza Brick Wall Questions
Re: Salvatore Piazza Brick Wall Questions
I think 1) and 2) are not possible, as divorce was not allowed in Italy at that time.
Most probably, Vincenza died. You should look for her death record, starting from the date of birth of their last child.
Most probably, Vincenza died. You should look for her death record, starting from the date of birth of their last child.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Salvatore Piazza Brick Wall Questions
Salvatore's baptism (#79):
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=730061
I wasn't able to find Vincenza's death, not even in Church registers.
But...do you know when Salvatore moved to the USA? Maybe he moved with her, and she died there (or they divorced, as divorce was possible, in the USA).
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=730061
I wasn't able to find Vincenza's death, not even in Church registers.
But...do you know when Salvatore moved to the USA? Maybe he moved with her, and she died there (or they divorced, as divorce was possible, in the USA).
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Salvatore Piazza Brick Wall Questions
This could be him on a ship manifest in 1890 line 309 from Vallelunga:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... AQVPJ-Q1TD
No Vincenza Fiorella on the same ship.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... AQVPJ-Q1TD
No Vincenza Fiorella on the same ship.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto

