Hello,
What is the best way to obtain my wife's grandfather's naturalization documents? We have a copy of the original Petition for Naturalization, from Familysearch.org, but I understand that we need official copies of the Declaration of Intentions and the Certificate of Naturalization as well....?
I went to the USCIS website, and found USCIS Form G-1041A. Is this the best way to get all the documents we need?
Her grandfather was born in 1887 in Gioia del Colle, immigrated in 1913, served in the US Army during WW1, returned to the States in 1918, and naturalized in 1923.
thank you.
Obtaining Naturalization Documents
-
bitterbatter
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 04 Jan 2020, 17:30
- Location: New York
Obtaining Naturalization Documents
Joe Zizzo - New York
Re: Obtaining Naturalization Documents
You can order from NARA online (temporarily suspended due to Covid-19)
You will need to register for a small fee.
The site
https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov
T.
You will need to register for a small fee.
The site
https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov
T.
Re: Obtaining Naturalization Documents
I did all my requests electronically though the USCIS website.bitterbatter wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 20:30 Hello,
What is the best way to obtain my wife's grandfather's naturalization documents? We have a copy of the original Petition for Naturalization, from Familysearch.org, but I understand that we need official copies of the Declaration of Intentions and the Certificate of Naturalization as well....?
I went to the USCIS website, and found USCIS Form G-1041A. Is this the best way to get all the documents we need?
Her grandfather was born in 1887 in Gioia del Colle, immigrated in 1913, served in the US Army during WW1, returned to the States in 1918, and naturalized in 1923.
thank you.
https://www.uscis.gov/records/genealogy
Pre-Covid, I got the letter in a few weeks, had to re-request due to incorrect DOB and names, submitted back in September, still waiting for my documents and with the case number they assign you can track it and/or message them, I did and was informed of the lengthy delay.
So, I suggest you fill out the request electronically, enter all known info, names, DOB and etc and submit. You may still need "no record found" letter from the local county courthouse, but the date of 1923 may rule that out? I would still check the local county courthouse for all records.
-
bitterbatter
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 04 Jan 2020, 17:30
- Location: New York
Re: Obtaining Naturalization Documents
Thanks Tessa.Tessa78 wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 21:17 You can order from NARA online (temporarily suspended due to Covid-19)
You will need to register for a small fee.
The site
https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov
T.
It's funny, I looked there and they don't have his records. His naturalization petition was filed in NY State Supreme court, and for some reason NARA only has district court records.
Joe Zizzo - New York
-
bitterbatter
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 04 Jan 2020, 17:30
- Location: New York
Re: Obtaining Naturalization Documents
Great, thank you for that, I put my request in today. Our appointment isn't until January 2022, so hopefully all is in by then.afecad wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 22:39I did all my requests electronically though the USCIS website.bitterbatter wrote: 05 Mar 2021, 20:30 Hello,
What is the best way to obtain my wife's grandfather's naturalization documents? We have a copy of the original Petition for Naturalization, from Familysearch.org, but I understand that we need official copies of the Declaration of Intentions and the Certificate of Naturalization as well....?
I went to the USCIS website, and found USCIS Form G-1041A. Is this the best way to get all the documents we need?
Her grandfather was born in 1887 in Gioia del Colle, immigrated in 1913, served in the US Army during WW1, returned to the States in 1918, and naturalized in 1923.
thank you.
https://www.uscis.gov/records/genealogy
Pre-Covid, I got the letter in a few weeks, had to re-request due to incorrect DOB and names, submitted back in September, still waiting for my documents and with the case number they assign you can track it and/or message them, I did and was informed of the lengthy delay.
So, I suggest you fill out the request electronically, enter all known info, names, DOB and etc and submit. You may still need "no record found" letter from the local county courthouse, but the date of 1923 may rule that out? I would still check the local county courthouse for all records.
Related question - do I have to wait until my wife is a citizen to apply? or can we apply at the same time? Obviously the latter is preferable, as her application will take 24 months form the time of her appointment, mine will take 48 months!
Joe Zizzo - New York
Re: Obtaining Naturalization Documents
You will be able to claim Italian citizenship through marriage only once your wife is granted Italian citizenship. The process for you will be different and based on the absence of criminal records of course.bitterbatter wrote: 06 Mar 2021, 00:16
Great, thank you for that, I put my request in today. Our appointment isn't until January 2022, so hopefully all is in by then.
Related question - do I have to wait until my wife is a citizen to apply? or can we apply at the same time? Obviously the latter is preferable, as her application will take 24 months form the time of her appointment, mine will take 48 months!
For me it's reversed, I will get it first, then my Wife will apply, submit the FBI criminal background check and then pass B1 Italian as mentioned before. It can take 2 to 3 years to process a by marriage application supposedly.
So figure if all goes as planned I hope to be approved in 2023 to 2024, then her 2026 or 2027 or longer? Again, with Covid I suspect the process will take longer as they are backed up.
You can read more details here:
https://italiancitizenshipassistance.co ... -marriage/
-
bitterbatter
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 04 Jan 2020, 17:30
- Location: New York
Re: Obtaining Naturalization Documents
Ok, once again thank you for the information, very helpful and much appreciated.
This whole thing is an exercise in perseverance and patience...!
This whole thing is an exercise in perseverance and patience...!
Joe Zizzo - New York
Re: Obtaining Naturalization Documents
Yes, but you'll get there eventually. The COVID slowdown is fine for me, I can use the time to correct my ancestor's vital records while I wait on the naturalization records, which might take 1 year.bitterbatter wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 15:45 Ok, once again thank you for the information, very helpful and much appreciated.
This whole thing is an exercise in perseverance and patience...!


