Me again, thanks for the support so far! I am looking into translation rules as my case date looms!
I need my documents translated by someone that is a 'sworn translator' but I don't believe that I need the court to also certify them, I am 99% certain in fact. I don't believe I need them stamped or anything, I just need a translator. Can anyone clarify on this?
As I see, I could hire a UK based translator and they'd need no more than to be a paidup member of a translation association which costs about £200per year, so I think the bureaucracy should be light in this case? My Italian sworn translator things she needs originals/apostilles, court stamps, stamps per page etc...
*My source is below**, it says I can choose to have an Italian 'sworn translator' or a UK professional or an Italian court:
https://conslondra.esteri.it/consolato_ ... traduzioni
This link, on the same site (Italian Consul in London), makes it clear that the Consular team will certify the translations, so I am fairly sure I just need a professional or sworn translator to do the translations: https://conslondra.esteri.it/consolato_ ... traduzioni
Just wondering who has experience on this? What norms must translations abide by?
Thanks! Grazie
Translation norms
-
bbivona
- Master

- Posts: 1154
- Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 00:43
- Location: Texas e Sicilia, provincia di Trapani
Re: Translation norms
The translation rules are specific to the consulate. I did mine in Houston and they allowed me to do my own. While I don't have experience with the London group, each consulate's rules are to merely ensure that they're working from accurate documents. If you're working with the sworn Italian translators or a professional UK translator with a notary and apostille, the consulate has the confidence that it's accurate because it is generated from sources they have confidence in. It seems clear from the instructions that court certification is not necessary for those. The second option on the list, to get a translation certified by the Italian courts, is only if you're using another type of translator. They want assurance of the accuracy of the documents prepared by someone outside their approved list. For example, I did my own in Houston with no certifications required, but had I tried to use those with the London consulate, I would have needed to have the Italian courts certify them first.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
- ItalianTranslator
- Rookie

- Posts: 44
- Joined: 20 Feb 2019, 18:05
- Contact:
Re: Translation norms
Hi @dannyjosa,
I haven't been following your posts so forgive me for the generic answer.
If you are applying at a consulate, translation requirements are different than if you are applying in Court or in Italy.
It seems you are based in the UK.
If you are applying at the Italian Consulate in London, then just translate the certificate(s) - I am listed on their translators list and this is what I have been doing so far.
If you are pursuing a 1948 case in the Court of Rome or are applying at an Italian Comune, you can have your translations done and sworn on in an Italian court (most courts are closed due covid and only process urgent requests, by the way), or you can have them done in the UK, the translator signs their certification before a UK notary and the notary's signature is apostilled.
The consulate in London doesn't certify translations anymore, except in rare cases (see https://conslondra.esteri.it/consolato_ ... traduzioni).
I think doing things in the UK with a notary involved can get quickly very expensive due to the notary's fee. However, given the current lockdown in Italy, it may be your only option.
Note: translators who practice in Italy usually translate the apostille in full.
Let me know if I can be of help.
Paola
I haven't been following your posts so forgive me for the generic answer.
If you are applying at a consulate, translation requirements are different than if you are applying in Court or in Italy.
It seems you are based in the UK.
If you are applying at the Italian Consulate in London, then just translate the certificate(s) - I am listed on their translators list and this is what I have been doing so far.
If you are pursuing a 1948 case in the Court of Rome or are applying at an Italian Comune, you can have your translations done and sworn on in an Italian court (most courts are closed due covid and only process urgent requests, by the way), or you can have them done in the UK, the translator signs their certification before a UK notary and the notary's signature is apostilled.
The consulate in London doesn't certify translations anymore, except in rare cases (see https://conslondra.esteri.it/consolato_ ... traduzioni).
I think doing things in the UK with a notary involved can get quickly very expensive due to the notary's fee. However, given the current lockdown in Italy, it may be your only option.
Note: translators who practice in Italy usually translate the apostille in full.
Let me know if I can be of help.
Paola
Re: Translation norms
G'day all, I am applying from Australia under the rule of 1948.
Do Naturalization certificates need to be translated and Apostilled?
I have been told that they do not. Please clarify.
Thank you.
Do Naturalization certificates need to be translated and Apostilled?
I have been told that they do not. Please clarify.
Thank you.
- ItalianTranslator
- Rookie

- Posts: 44
- Joined: 20 Feb 2019, 18:05
- Contact:
Re: Translation norms
@Snooper, it depends on your lawyer. Ask him.
