In New York State, outside of New York City, we need a court order to obtain the birth certificate of a deceased parent. I have been having a devil of a time trying to find an attorney to do this...
Is there anyone who has successfully obtained the birth certificate of a deceased ancestor born in New York State this way? How did it go? Do you have an attorney you would recommend?
Thank you.
Need Lawyer in New York for Court Order
-
bitterbatter
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 04 Jan 2020, 17:30
- Location: New York
Need Lawyer in New York for Court Order
Joe Zizzo - New York
Re: Need Lawyer in New York for Court Order
I would suggest to search for a "General Practice Attorney" and see if they offer "amending vital records" under services in the specific county the said ancestor resided in. Though that is not a requirement, my Lawyer in PA was in another county, but it may help to try that first.
I was originally going to contact some lawyers at random in the county my Grandfather lived in, but ICA recommended one instead and it saved a ton of time and effort as the firm knew exactly what to do.
I would recommend the lawyer I used in PA, but they do not show New York State on their Bar Admissions.
I was originally going to contact some lawyers at random in the county my Grandfather lived in, but ICA recommended one instead and it saved a ton of time and effort as the firm knew exactly what to do.
I would recommend the lawyer I used in PA, but they do not show New York State on their Bar Admissions.
-
bitterbatter
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 04 Jan 2020, 17:30
- Location: New York
Re: Need Lawyer in New York for Court Order
Thank you - but I really cant believe that no other users have had to get a court order in New York!
Joe Zizzo - New York
Re: Need Lawyer in New York for Court Order
There are older threads on here (use the search function) from others who had ancestors with NY vital records. You could try PM'ing them, but many may never log in again as they likely already received their Passporto and have no need to come back.bitterbatter wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 18:10 Thank you - but I really cant believe that no other users have had to get a court order in New York!
You can try this Lawyer in NYC, they have the process listed on their page and specialize in the subject, looks legit not sure if he does New York State but it's worth a try.
https://www.simonebertollini.com/immigr ... urt-order/
https://www.simonebertollini.com/
Expect to have to pay between $500 to $1,500.00 to get this done, mine total in PA was less than $1K, but the Lawyer told me if the courts requested a in-person trial the cost would go up. With Covid it could be via Zoom, which is not as expensive but still an additional fee. Appears it depends on the Judge as mine was approved without a trial within a month of the petition being submitted. YMMV though as New York is more difficult, one user said it took them 9 months to resolve, not sure on the details...
-
bitterbatter
- Newbie

- Posts: 21
- Joined: 04 Jan 2020, 17:30
- Location: New York
Re: Need Lawyer in New York for Court Order
Great, thank you for that!
There is a really good facebook group re Italian citizenship, I got a number of reccos there... and even some advice from some folks who did it themselves. But I will definitely reach out to Mr. Berollini as well.
There is a really good facebook group re Italian citizenship, I got a number of reccos there... and even some advice from some folks who did it themselves. But I will definitely reach out to Mr. Berollini as well.
Joe Zizzo - New York
Re: Need Lawyer in New York for Court Order
Good luck! My process is moving forward, but expect things to be slower than normal in the system due to the Pandemic.bitterbatter wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 14:30 Great, thank you for that!
There is a really good facebook group re Italian citizenship, I got a number of reccos there... and even some advice from some folks who did it themselves. But I will definitely reach out to Mr. Berollini as well.
