Help with obtaining dual citizenship. Thank you!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
tpafundi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 14 Apr 2021, 08:34

Help with obtaining dual citizenship. Thank you!

Post by tpafundi »

I would like to apply for citizenship in Italy for my son and I.

Currently we only have US citizenship. Any advice/resources you can provide is greatly appreciated!

My father was born (1936) in US, his mother (my paternal grandmother) was born in Naples in 1912.
My paternal grandmother married my paternal grandfather in 1931.
In 1940 consensus my paternal grandmother was listed 'AL', whereas her husband (my paternal grandfather) and two sons (my father and uncle) were listed as citizens of US.

I am assuming my paternal grandmother became dual citizen in 1931 when she married my paternal grandfather (US born/citizen) and she retained her Italian citizenship.

I believe she passed her citizenship onto my father (passed in 87), who would in turn pass it on to me and my son.

Being that my father was born prior 1948, I have seen there are some complications gaining dual citizenship from a maternal Italian citizen who had a child prior to 1948.

I believe I have a good chance at obtaining dual citizenship, because my paternal grandmother should have passed her citizenship to my father.


Do I need to hire an Italian lawyer to request an over ruling to the 1948 law, and if not what documents can i send, what should my request look like and what organization accepts these filings?


Thank you so much! Very excited to find out if what I am thinking is possible of accomplishing.
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Help with obtaining dual citizenship. Thank you!

Post by PippoM »

tpafundi wrote: 14 Apr 2021, 08:49
I believe I have a good chance at obtaining dual citizenship, because my paternal grandmother should have passed her citizenship to my father.

Do I need to hire an Italian lawyer to request an over ruling to the 1948 law, and if not what documents can i send, what should my request look like and what organization accepts these filings?
Yes, yours seems to be what is called a "1948 case".
I sent you a PM for possible legal assistance.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Post Reply