?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi again,

These should be on your list of films>

Processetti 1813-1815 FHL INTL Film
1536553 Item 3

Processetti 1813-1822 FHL INTL Film
1536554
Processetti 1820-1829 FHL INTL Film
1536555
Processetti 1827-1832 FHL INTL Film
1536556
Processetti 1830-1834 VAULT INTL Film
1536557
Processetti 1833-1839 FHL INTL Film
1536558
Processetti 1838-1843 FHL INTL Film
1335595
Processetti 1842-1845 FHL INTL Film
1536559
Processetti 1844-1849 FHL INTL Film
1455922
Processetti 1848-1852 FHL INTL Film
1455923
Processetti 1851-1855 FHL INTL Film
1455924
Processetti 1855-1859 FHL INTL Film
1455925
Processetti 1858-1863 FHL INTL Film
1455926
Processetti 1863-1865 FHL INTL Film
1455944


They are the marriage process papers & contain birth records of the couple, if parent is deceased, his/her death act, and sometimes even death acts of grandparents......Even though the filmed records start in 1809 (?), you can go back much earlier with the records provided in the marriage process papers....so check them carefully!

Yes, baptismal record is part of civil record of the birth act on some.

Don't worry abt. copyright.....it's on the net....so anyone can get it.

Hope this helps.

Have fun @ the center tomorrow! I'm going to mine, too.

Joyce
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi Joyce

I have often wondered what the ' processetti' were. Thanks for the explanation. To think I was going to ignore those films.....

Marisa xx
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Marisa,

Then I'm glad your saw the post......have found birth & death records dating in the early 1700's through the processetti records!

Happy hunting!

Joyce
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Hi everyone
I spent the day checking the marriage film but sadly there is no trace of either of my grandparents names there. As well as the indexes I went through everyone of the certicates too. Joyce, When looking at the certificates I looked to see if I could find 'Processetti' where you said it gave more detailed information but there was nothing like that on the certificates I viewed?
Now I'm beginning to think something odd has been going on in my family!
I had another look at the birth film for 1857-1865. (Year 1864) just to check out what I had found out about my grandmother, turns out its not her it was a HE. (FrancescO) And it said bambino not bambina
but I did find another record for 17 January 1861 for a FrancescA Bastianiello(another new spelling!) and it said 'e nat a da 'Pasqua Bastianiello' and one of my dads 'half sisters' was named Pasqua. Thought this could be relevant. There didnt seem to be any name of a father, could this mean she was illegitimate? in the index just next to the mothers name was written the word 'menica' (which I looked up in the dictionary and could only find 'mendica' which means a pauper, beggar, or from workhouse)which could well be. and in the end column (which had a heading which looked like'cssevaz') was printed the word 'naturale' all the other entries had nothing written there!? Any ideas as to what this could mean?

I also found another entry which looked as though it should be my grandfather but the dates dont work out but the names do. My grandfather died in 1895 age 42 which would make his year of birth 1853 and I did find that entry last week but the mothers name on that one was maria antonia.
the one I found today 19th April 1860 gives the same fathers name-Domenico de Filippis but the mothers name is Guiseppa (Gionda)? on my grandfathers death certificate it said his mothers name was Mary Defilippis maiden name Guiseppa. So now I am thoroughly confused.
Could my grandfather have used another brothers records to pretend he was older than he was? I'm going back next Tuesday again- my italian is improving Ha! Ha! Wont tell you what I'm saying though!!!???
Be grateful if anyone has any ideas of what's been going on all these years ago!
Emmy
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Emmy,

"certificates I looked to see if I could find 'Processetti' where you said it gave more detailed information but there was nothing like that on the certificates I viewed?"

The "processetti" are separete films from the marriage act films. See the list provided above.. Don't order these til you have the marriage act.

Hope this is clear!

I'm going to "pm" you a little later.....need to do a few things fisrt.

Joyce :)
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Hi Joyce
I have never used 'films' before so many thanks for explaining.
I may have to order another marriage film with different years once I get a definate birth act for my grandparents. I think I'll need to just concentrate on one certificate at a time and see if I can get a picture or a copy.
Many thanks again
Emmy
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Hi everyone
Just had a reply from friend who was checking the passenger list at the National Archives at Kew, Richmond. This is the information she sent:-

1. Passenger lists are available for outside Europe only.
2. Alien registration- not for relevant dates. (dates were from 1880-1887)
3. Naturalisations is online - catalogue (I havent come across that yet)
4. Registration of UK citizenship only from 1948

She did say ''Name of boat'' ? but thats what I dont know and cant find anywhere.
So did people coming to Britain during that time just arrivewithout records either being kept in Italy or here?

Going to look to see if I can trace this online catalogue.
Emmy
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi Emmy

You will find the catalogue here

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/fami ... ources.htm

Go to 'search the catalogue - and remember to allow for some strange spellings :D :D

Marisa xx
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Hi Marisa
Thanks for the link without realising it I have been in this site before with no luck. but I did find a Geovanni Battista (no mention of Defilippis) from the 1891 Census but the place listed was Northumberland so I dont think its the one I'm looking for. but on the link you gave me I read through some information and it does say that passenger records began in 1878 but were only kept for ships that arrived in Britain from outside Europe and the Mediterranean. I think I'm on a 'wild goose chase'. I dont think I'm going to find any records of my grandparents coming to Britain.

God Bless
Emmy xx
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Hi everyone
I've been back to the family history centre today and I have traced out the birth act for my grandmother, hopefully 'jcsm' will manage to post it here for me, I would be very grateful if someone could translate it for me. I have a feeling that my great grandmother wasnt married,but maybe I'm wrong. Be grateful for any help.
Many thanks to jcsm
God Blesss
Emmy
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Marisa6 »

Excellent news Emmy!

Can't wait to see it :D

Marisa xx
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Hi Everyone :D
Just to give you an update. I've been back studying the films today and I have finally found the birth acts for both my grandparents. I know its definately them because at the bottom of the baptismal record of Giovan Battista Di filippis, born 1853, my grandmother's name is written there and the date 1881- and at the bottom of my grandmother's baptismal record, born 1861, my grandfather's name is written and the same date 1881. I think this must be the date of their marriage.
After almost 30 years I've finally found them and if it hadnt been for everyone here helping me I would still be searching. I feel as though I've won the lottery big style! :D :wink: :D
But there is still another Giovan Battista Di filippis born 1860 -(definately the same father as Giovan 1853) but the mothers christian name is slightly different-no Maria just Giuseppa- but the maiden surname is the same but the '1860 mother' is 2 years younger than the one in 1853. Could it be the same person even if the dates dont match? It was just a thought perhaps the first wife died and a younger sister stepped in to take her place and look after the family? At that time in Italy did they sometimes give two children in the family the same name? I know that it was sometimes done if a child died the next child would be given that name but my grandfather was definately the older one and was alive in 1860. Riccardo has suggested that I write to the Parish Priest (S.Biagio) and ask for a copy of "Stato delle Anime" which would give me a list of family members and when they left the parish. So I'm off to do that now.
A very BIG THANK YOU to everyone who is helping me it is very much appreciate
God Bless you all
:D A very happy Emmy :D
User avatar
mvdefilippis
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 07 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: Washington DC

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by mvdefilippis »

Alright, im not sure if any of the info i can provide you with may help. My name is Michael DeFilippis, my grandfather, also Michael DeFilippis was born in Bari Italy in the town of Valenzano in the 1930's. Most of the family has moved to Chicago, Illinois but there is still some family in the same town. I honestly dont know of any family moving to England but who knows. I also know there are several DeFilippis families in New Jersey.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

Emmy wrote:Hi Everyone :D

But there is still another Giovan Battista Di filippis born 1860 -(definately the same father as Giovan 1853) but the mothers christian name is slightly different-no Maria just Giuseppa- but the maiden surname is the same.
God Bless you all
:D A very happy Emmy :D

Hi Emmy, Look for a death act for Gionan Difilippis' (b.1853) mother and/or 2nd marriage of his father b/t 1853 & 1860.

I'm really happy for you, that after 30 years of searching, you are making progress :!: If you need anything, let me know. :lol:

XOXO & God bless,

:) nonna j
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Hi Michael
First I would like to say a big 'Nice to meet you' You are the very first person with the surname Defilippis I have met since I started this search for my ancestors. Unfortunately I don't think there is a connection, but one never knows. My grandparents came from Sant'Elia Fiumerapido in the province of Frosinone but and it is a big BUT one of my uncle's named Michelangelo Defilippis I just can't trace. He was born in Glasgow in 1894 and he was still there in 1901. There is no record of him having died. I didnt know he existed until just before I joined this forum. The story I've been told so far is he either returned to Italy, which part, I'm not sure, and then from there left to go to America or he could have left from a port in U.K. I have checked the ships records for UK and no one by that name left for America that I can find. It does seem almost certain he did go to America. On Ellis Island lists there was only one Michelangelo Defilippis left Naples and his destination was Chicago to stay with his uncle Francesco ('Ferido'?)(arrived in May 1905) It said on the Passenger record his last place of residence was BITRITH and I thought that meant British but from the ships manifest it was Bittrito.

Marisa from this forum found addresses for me for two Michelangelo Defilippis one lives/lived81 Wild Rose Drive Andover Massachusetts and the other at 44 Dexter Street Malden Massachusetts I did write to both at the end of May but have had no replies so far. My biggest problem in finding Michelangelo is I'm not sure if he would have changed his name to De Phillips because that is the name my grandmother gave on the 1901 Census and later my father and his brothers then changed it to Phillips. So its like looking for a needle in a haystack but I wont give up.

Many many thanks for posting the message to me and you never know there may be a link there somewhere, stranger things have happened.
God Bless
Emmy
Post Reply