Hello everyone, I'm new here. I've been quietly following everyone's invaluable advice here and believe I have all the documents (including Italian originals) required for jus sanguinis citizenship through my maternal great grandfather, who was born in Abruzzo.
HOWEVER......my maternal grandfather was born in Gary, Indiana in 1910. As it so happens, they did not issue birth certificates in this county until 1911......strange, but true. So I received a letter of no record from the IN Dept. of Health with stamp and seal, along with apostille from IN Secretary of State.
Fortunately, I was able to contact the diocese where my grandfather was baptized. I received an official church baptismal certificate and a notary seal, along with an apostille from the IN Secretary of State.
The question is this: will the Italian consulate in Miami accept this in lieu of a birth certificate? I'm getting conflicted opinions on this. Any advice is most welcome! Thanks and ciao a tutti!
Baptismal certificate question
Re: Baptismal certificate question
If in the "letter of no record" you received it is specified that in that specific county Birth certificates weren't issued before 1911, then the Italian Consulate in Detroit (relevant for the State of Indiana) should recognise as valid the baptismal certificate from the Diocesan archive, notarized and apostilled, provided with a translation into Italian.
Therefore the Consulate-General in Miami could check with their colleagues in Detroit about the unavailability of Birth certificates issued in Indiana before 1911.
Therefore the Consulate-General in Miami could check with their colleagues in Detroit about the unavailability of Birth certificates issued in Indiana before 1911.

