Hi all,
I've been researching the Italian side of my family and have hit something of a brick wall after my 2nd grandparents, Antonio Verallo (Caserta, Italia) & Baggina Soave (USA) - and not sure where to go with it. It's my first time putting anything like this together and while my mother's English side of the family is super straight forward, between getting records and every Italian in the family using the same first names, my Italian side is more difficult.
All the information I've been able to pull off comes from UK census, marriage and death records, and Antonio's Ellis Island documentation - but beyond that I can't find anything on either of them, and nothing in the form of Italian documentation (including Antonio's birth certificate)
Best I can piece together is that Antonio Verallo was born in 1877 in Caserta, Italia before emigrating to the US on 23 Feb 1909 on the (his name is incorrectly listed a 'Verrillo', but the age and region match up). At some point he met Baggina Soave, an American born in 1890 (according to her UK documents), before getting married and settling in Cardiff, Wales in 1909 and having children.
Before that, I'm having huge trouble finding anything on either of them.
Antonio Verallo
Born 1877 - Caserta
Aside from the above info (all from his UK and US documents) I can't find anything on him at all pre-1909 at all. I can't find his birth certificate or anything on his parents, and it seems like those years are missing from the Caserta documents online.
According other family trees his parents were Salvatore Verallo (B.1852) Mary Madeline Parisi/Parise (B.1860) (Both Caserta) - but I can't find a documented link. I can find a link via a US death certificate to his parents and a Maria Parisi, who appears to be his sister, who at some point emigrated to Pennsylvania - which also matches his immigration manifest, so again it adds up.
Another family tree lists Salvatore's father as Rafiel Verallo (B.1820) but there is no source for this at all.
Baggina Soave
Born 1890 - United States
Pre to her turning up in the UK, Baggina doesn't exist. There are no documents of her anywhere, just her census and marriage info from Wales, where she states she is American and her maiden name was Soave. My father vaguely remembers trips to France with the Soave family as a boy, which suggests we've got the right name, and their grave places her and Antonio together with their ages, but outside of that, she's a ghost. It's like she just appeared from thin air.
Sorry for the overwhelming drop of information, but I feel like I've hit a total dead end, especially on the Italian side and I'm not sure where to go from here. As a family we're really proud of our Italian roots, but it's sad they've been lost to time and bad spelling.
Would really appreciate any tips!
Hit a brick wall with the Verallo and Soave family
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Hit a brick wall with the Verallo and Soave family
It looks like Antonio Verrillo was born in San Tammaro, Caserta but not in 1877. He was 16 in 1905 so that makes him born about 1889. Records are on line with Family Search. The others who travelled with him are also from there.
Baggina Soave is probably Biagia (Biaggina) Soave. You will need her parent's names to trace them on a ship manifest to learn the town of origin.
Baggina Soave is probably Biagia (Biaggina) Soave. You will need her parent's names to trace them on a ship manifest to learn the town of origin.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Hit a brick wall with the Verallo and Soave family
Check the Ruoli matricolari classe 1866-1884 in Archivio di Stato di Caserta.
https://www.ascaserta.beniculturali.it/ ... i/tuvz.pdf
Verrillo Antonio was born in Carinola (Caserta) on November 24, 1876. His brother Angelo on Dec 29, 1884.
Vol Bis Classe Cognome Nome Località G/M anno nascita Matricola Bis1 Note
23 1876 Verrillo Antonio Carinola 24/11 1876 2561 Bis
94 1884 Verrillo Angelo Carinola 29/12 1884 18143 bis
Line 23


Line 9

Ask for the Military draft (Ruolo Matricolare), writing to: as-ce@beniculturali.it
https://www.ascaserta.beniculturali.it/ ... ispondenza
In the Ruolo Matricolare, the names of the parents are indicated.
Then ask the Stato Civile Office of the Municipality of Carinola for Antonio's birth certificate.
https://municipiodicarinola.it/uffici/4 ... ato-civile#
Indirizzo: Piazza Osvaldo Mazza, Carinola (Caserta)
Telefono: 0823734219
E-mail: statocivile@comune.carinola.ce.it
https://www.ascaserta.beniculturali.it/ ... i/tuvz.pdf
Verrillo Antonio was born in Carinola (Caserta) on November 24, 1876. His brother Angelo on Dec 29, 1884.
Vol Bis Classe Cognome Nome Località G/M anno nascita Matricola Bis1 Note
23 1876 Verrillo Antonio Carinola 24/11 1876 2561 Bis
94 1884 Verrillo Angelo Carinola 29/12 1884 18143 bis
Line 23


Line 9

Ask for the Military draft (Ruolo Matricolare), writing to: as-ce@beniculturali.it
https://www.ascaserta.beniculturali.it/ ... ispondenza
In the Ruolo Matricolare, the names of the parents are indicated.
Then ask the Stato Civile Office of the Municipality of Carinola for Antonio's birth certificate.
https://municipiodicarinola.it/uffici/4 ... ato-civile#
Indirizzo: Piazza Osvaldo Mazza, Carinola (Caserta)
Telefono: 0823734219
E-mail: statocivile@comune.carinola.ce.it
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: Hit a brick wall with the Verallo and Soave family
Hi, I believe that Biagia/Biagina had a relative or brother in Cardiff, married to Angelina Verrecchia in Cardiff on 1904,, he was born on may 1884 in Sant'Elia Fiumerapido ( previously in Caserta province, currently in Frosinone province) and made some trip in USA .. back and forth and then stayed in Cardiff.. I don't know if he was really the Biagina's brother but I believe that no one italian girl went alone in foreign country without athe father or the brother.. so I am a bit positive that Francesco Soave maybe was the Biagina brother...stakally wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 16:58 Hi all,
I've been researching the Italian side of my family and have hit something of a brick wall after my 2nd grandparents, Antonio Verallo (Caserta, Italia) & Baggina Soave (USA) - and not sure where to go with it. It's my first time putting anything like this together and while my mother's English side of the family is super straight forward, between getting records and every Italian in the family using the same first names, my Italian side is more difficult.
All the information I've been able to pull off comes from UK census, marriage and death records, and Antonio's Ellis Island documentation - but beyond that I can't find anything on either of them, and nothing in the form of Italian documentation (including Antonio's birth certificate)
Best I can piece together is that Antonio Verallo was born in 1877 in Caserta, Italia before emigrating to the US on 23 Feb 1909 on the (his name is incorrectly listed a 'Verrillo', but the age and region match up). At some point he met Baggina Soave, an American born in 1890 (according to her UK documents), before getting married and settling in Cardiff, Wales in 1909 and having children.
Before that, I'm having huge trouble finding anything on either of them.
Antonio Verallo
Born 1877 - Caserta
Aside from the above info (all from his UK and US documents) I can't find anything on him at all pre-1909 at all. I can't find his birth certificate or anything on his parents, and it seems like those years are missing from the Caserta documents online.
According other family trees his parents were Salvatore Verallo (B.1852) Mary Madeline Parisi/Parise (B.1860) (Both Caserta) - but I can't find a documented link. I can find a link via a US death certificate to his parents and a Maria Parisi, who appears to be his sister, who at some point emigrated to Pennsylvania - which also matches his immigration manifest, so again it adds up.
Another family tree lists Salvatore's father as Rafiel Verallo (B.1820) but there is no source for this at all.
Baggina Soave
Born 1890 - United States
Pre to her turning up in the UK, Baggina doesn't exist. There are no documents of her anywhere, just her census and marriage info from Wales, where she states she is American and her maiden name was Soave. My father vaguely remembers trips to France with the Soave family as a boy, which suggests we've got the right name, and their grave places her and Antonio together with their ages, but outside of that, she's a ghost. It's like she just appeared from thin air.
Sorry for the overwhelming drop of information, but I feel like I've hit a total dead end, especially on the Italian side and I'm not sure where to go from here. As a family we're really proud of our Italian roots, but it's sad they've been lost to time and bad spelling.
Would really appreciate any tips!
Francesco soave went in Detroit, Michigan, USA to join Saverio Persichino brother in law, as a well in a second trip stated to join A. Soave brother in Detroit Michigan, USA. I believe that a. Soave means Antonio Soave...
I cannot be sure if Francesco soave in Cardiff was the Biagina brother or just a cousin or a relative in some way, but they was related surely .... I believe that the Biagina parents emigrated in Detroit, MI, USA, before of 1890 and then went back in Italy... when Francesco emigrated in UK I believe arranged the marriage with Antonio, normally so things were going, so if Biagina back in Italy maybe her birth record was filed in the Sant'Elia Fiumerapido civil records, in 1890 or in a year after 1890....
hoping helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
-
Emmaverallo
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 02 Sep 2021, 00:56
Re: Hit a brick wall with the Verallo and Soave family
Hi I am a descendant of Antonio and biagina, I reside in Cardiff wales also. There is a street named after Antonio here. There’s a lot of us from them here in the U.K.
Re: Hit a brick wall with the Verallo and Soave family
Hello
Antonio's father was Francesco and Biaggina's father was Giovanni based on their marriage certificate.
Biaggina was born in Cincinnati on 20 June 1890. Her mother was Mary (or Maria).
On the 1911 census Antonio (Anthony) states he was born in Cardito. The same place as his brother Lorenzo (Lawrence) was born in 1870 and his wife Brigida (Bridget) Di Mascio in 1881.
CA
Antonio's father was Francesco and Biaggina's father was Giovanni based on their marriage certificate.
Biaggina was born in Cincinnati on 20 June 1890. Her mother was Mary (or Maria).
On the 1911 census Antonio (Anthony) states he was born in Cardito. The same place as his brother Lorenzo (Lawrence) was born in 1870 and his wife Brigida (Bridget) Di Mascio in 1881.
CA
