Scandinavian Ancestry

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Scandinavian Ancestry

Post by darkerhorse »

Does anyone know whether DNA testing companies can distinguish between Norwegian and Danish ancestry?

For example, do they report separate percentages?
User avatar
MarcuccioV
Master
Master
Posts: 1903
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
Location: West Hills, CA USA

Re: Scandinavian Ancestry

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 16:30 Does anyone know whether DNA testing companies can distinguish between Norwegian and Danish ancestry?

For example, do they report separate percentages?
Ancestry combines Danish/Swedish, but separates Norwegian and Finnish.

MyHeritage, 23&Me & FTDNA separate Finnish but lump Danish, Swedish & Norwegian in as "Scandinavian"...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Scandinavian Ancestry

Post by darkerhorse »

Thanks. I figured they were too close to separate.

I've seen Norse used for Norwegians but I believe it has German origins.
User avatar
MarcuccioV
Master
Master
Posts: 1903
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
Location: West Hills, CA USA

Re: Scandinavian Ancestry

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 17:10 Thanks. I figured they were too close to separate.

I've seen Norse used for Norwegians but I believe it has German origins.
I think your best bet is to get any of the above tests (they are all doing deals right now) & upload your results to GEDMATCH.

There is a bit of a learning curve with their oracles, but it is very detailed and will most likely give you the best results for separation...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
User avatar
MarcuccioV
Master
Master
Posts: 1903
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
Location: West Hills, CA USA

Re: Scandinavian Ancestry

Post by MarcuccioV »

Here are some examples of what I mean (about the oracles):

The first is one (of many) of my ethnic breakdowns as a pie chart. There are literally dozens of these to choose from for various types of anthropologies.

The second is just one of the population estimates based on my DNA (this one is using just 2 populations). This changes widely depending on the # of populations (1, 2, 3 or 4).

But this should give you a preview, at least...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Scandinavian Ancestry

Post by darkerhorse »

What is an oracle?

Does Med refer to Mediterranean?

Explain the 50% East_Sicilian.
User avatar
MarcuccioV
Master
Master
Posts: 1903
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
Location: West Hills, CA USA

Re: Scandinavian Ancestry

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 17:41 What is an oracle?

Does Med refer to Mediterranean? YES

Explain the 50% East_Sicilian.
The oracles are genealogical references based on population data and "distance" from those populations. The higher the #, the more distant, or less likely, of that population being the source of your ancestry.

Using only 2 reference sources, my ethnicity is CLOSEST to a mixture of these 2 populations. Since my paternal side is predominantly UK, the SW English makes sense, as I have a considerable # of ancestors from that region (albeit not a majority of that half). Since my mtDNA is based (in recent times, at least) in Sicily and several surnames from my 62 4GGp's (at least those I have records for) can be found in Sicily (including my grandfather's surname), I have to assume that at least SOME of my heritage on the Italian side is Sicilian.

When it arrived in south-central Italy I don't know, but it couldn't be too far distant or I'd think it would have gotten filtered out for the most part -- even 23&Me shows Sicilian as strong in my Italian makeup so it's either on multiple branches or relatively recent prior to the paper trail cutoff.

One of the surnames of a shared 4GGm (why I only have 62, like you) is PIZZUTI. I know you have Pizzuto's so perhaps there is a connection there to Sicily, but I have no way of knowing.

Of the various oracle pie charts, some go by geography (like the one I posted above), some by ancient groups (hunter-gatherers, farmers, etc), some by era (neolithic, etc), some by nationality.

Like I said, it can be overwhelming at first, but it can be eye-opening as well...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Scandinavian Ancestry

Post by darkerhorse »

Yes, I have the surname Pizzuto in my Sicilian family tree. There's some suggestion of darker complexions and coarser hair in that line, possibly with roots in North Africa?

Pizzuto is found throughout Italy, but there's a concentration in Sicily, especially on the north coast.

I'll let Joe post the surname map.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Scandinavian Ancestry

Post by darkerhorse »

Darker than olive, more like brownish.
User avatar
MarcuccioV
Master
Master
Posts: 1903
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
Location: West Hills, CA USA

Re: Scandinavian Ancestry

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 18:32 Yes, I have the surname Pizzuto in my Sicilian family tree. There's some suggestion of darker complexions and coarser hair in that line, possibly with roots in North Africa?

Pizzuto is found throughout Italy, but there's a concentration in Sicily, especially on the north coast.

I'll let Joe post the surname map.
Pizzuti is mostly found up in my area, but there are a few in Messina and Catania. Spellings tended to change, so I suppose it's possible that a Pizzuto made his way north and somewhere along the line it became Pizzuti as that was the local spelling.

I have a similar situation on another branch with Mezzo/Mezzi. It depended on who wrote out the act, as the same person shows up in different acts with both spellings...

Weren't we supposed to be discussing melanin-free Scandinavians..? :?
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Scandinavian Ancestry

Post by darkerhorse »

I just checked with a distant Pizzuto cousin. He thinks they came from royal Spanish blood.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Scandinavian Ancestry

Post by darkerhorse »

But no DNA testing yet.
User avatar
MarcuccioV
Master
Master
Posts: 1903
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
Location: West Hills, CA USA

Re: Scandinavian Ancestry

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 02:58 I just checked with a distant Pizzuto cousin. He thinks they came from royal Spanish blood.
All my 'Royal' descendants were UK or French. No Spaniards... :P
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Scandinavian Ancestry

Post by darkerhorse »

What skin complexion and hair color/texture are Spainards known for?
User avatar
MarcuccioV
Master
Master
Posts: 1903
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
Location: West Hills, CA USA

Re: Scandinavian Ancestry

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 07 Dec 2021, 03:12 What skin complexion and hair color/texture are Spainards known for?
Here we go again. :lol: Whatever you want them to be, I suppose. I know a Spanish priest who looks more French to me than Spanish. Must be from northern Spain. I never asked him... 8)

I've seen some blonde, blue-eyed Spaniards -- but I've seen the same in Italians...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
Post Reply