Hi everyone!
I’m looking for a birth record for Antonino/Antonio Amadeo/Amodeo/Amadio/Amodio born around 20 Jan 1873 in Palermo, according to his marriage record from 1911 and his draft registration and naturalization documents.
Despite having a Naturalization from 1939, he only lists his place of birth as “Sicily” on it. He has no certificate of arrival, due to a 1906 nationality law, and the dates and ships he lists don’t match anything I can find anywhere. I’ve tried manually looking through the records of nearly every comune in the Palermo province, which I’ll link with this spreadsheet. I’m not finished just yet, as I need to revisit some of the larger cities when I get to my University’s better internet, as my home's is slow. I’ve been jotting down and checking the records for anyone with a remotely similar surname, born between 1870 and 1878. Here's the spreadsheet I have going on so far, via Google Sheets: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
His parents are named as Diego Amodeo and Antonia Bucafusco according to his marriage, although it does put his date of birth at around 1878, which I’ve accounted for in my searches. Here is the marriage record in question: https://ibb.co/YPBftqD
Here's Antonino's ancestry page that I created, apologies for the surname word salad that I hoped would help with database queries: https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/pe ... 5759/facts
Here's his familysearch page that I also created:https://www.familysearch.org/tree/perso ... s/GDZW-85G
I plan to clean it up once I can find records of his birth and the births of his siblings, also, the records for his probable brother can be seen by going to view other children of his parents.
Based on this, I believe he has a brother named Angelo, who was born 6 Feb 1877 in “Sicily” according to his draft card for World War 1, and who died in 1930 without naturalizing. His surname is listed as Amardo, Amardio, Amordio, and Amerdio on his documents, and I further believe they are brothers due to both Antonino and Angelo listing their profession as “Captain of Barge.” In his marriage, Angelo lists his parents as Diego Amardo and Antonetta Buttafusco, and his death lists them as Diego Amordio and Antonetta Busquefusco.
Angelo's marriage: https://ibb.co/qC7YXqF
Angelo's death: https://ibb.co/1T7fWH4
In the city of Palermo, there was a couple named Diego Amodeo having children during the same time that Antonino and Angelo would’ve been born, but no children with those names were born to them, and this Diego’s wife was named Maria Anna Papparlado, and I can’t find evidence that he took another wife.
Furthermore, I can’t find any DNA matches to him, and he’s a direct maternal-line great great grandfather, so highly unlikely for an NPE to screw anything up, unless he wasn’t the biological father of his daughter, which I highly doubt. I did, however, find a 24 CM DNA match with a Buccafusco ancestor, but this one was from Patti, of Messina province.
I’m really at wit’s end, because I thought I should find this man by now, but just can’t seem to. And this was part of a much longer post, but somehow the website logged me out, and I didn’t want to have to retype my methodologies out, because I’m getting cramps.
I would really appreciate and assistance or insight someone could give, I can’t find any immigration or anything that points me in the right direction, only his marriage gives anywhere near a roundabout place of birth, even for potential siblings.
Looking for birth record of Antonino/Antonio Amadeo from "Palermo"...can't find anything at all
-
GenealogyFan77
- Rookie

- Posts: 31
- Joined: 23 Jun 2018, 01:46
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Looking for birth record of Antonino/Antonio Amadeo from "Palermo"...can't find anything at all
Go to www.paginebianche.it. Enter the surname variations one at a time. Amadeo/Amodeo/Amadio/Amodio and print out the results.
Then enter Buttafuoco (its the closest to the mother's surname).
Compare the lists and see if both names are common in one or more town.
Concentrate on the towns on the coast since they were barge captains.
Then enter Buttafuoco (its the closest to the mother's surname).
Compare the lists and see if both names are common in one or more town.
Concentrate on the towns on the coast since they were barge captains.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Looking for birth record of Antonino/Antonio Amadeo from "Palermo"...can't find anything at all
I spent some time with this last night with little luck. I often use a similar approach to italysearcher above in situations like this but I do it using a surname map. Neither approach is very representative of the distribution in the mid-19th century but it can still help.
http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... ca&x=0&y=0
http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... eo&x=0&y=0
http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... io&x=0&y=0
http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... io&x=0&y=0
Using this it looks like most of the Sicilian overlap is in Palermo, Carini, Terrasini, and maybe Villabate. Maybe a bit down around Bisacquino. Then on the other side of the island, Messina, Catania, and Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto.
I will also say to be careful with a name like Amodeo as I have seen it used as a standard name given to orphans. I don't think in this case it will be relevant since you have two different individuals that give the same parents' names, but something to keep in mind.
Also I'm not sure if you checked already but neither of the Antonia Buccafuscsa born in Palermo in the 1850s has any sort of annotation on their birth records for a marriage later.
http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... ca&x=0&y=0
http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... eo&x=0&y=0
http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... io&x=0&y=0
http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... io&x=0&y=0
Using this it looks like most of the Sicilian overlap is in Palermo, Carini, Terrasini, and maybe Villabate. Maybe a bit down around Bisacquino. Then on the other side of the island, Messina, Catania, and Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto.
I will also say to be careful with a name like Amodeo as I have seen it used as a standard name given to orphans. I don't think in this case it will be relevant since you have two different individuals that give the same parents' names, but something to keep in mind.
Also I'm not sure if you checked already but neither of the Antonia Buccafuscsa born in Palermo in the 1850s has any sort of annotation on their birth records for a marriage later.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
-
GenealogyFan77
- Rookie

- Posts: 31
- Joined: 23 Jun 2018, 01:46
Re: Looking for birth record of Antonino/Antonio Amadeo from "Palermo"...can't find anything at all
Thanks!Italysearcher wrote: 27 Dec 2021, 12:30 Go to www.paginebianche.it. Enter the surname variations one at a time. Amadeo/Amodeo/Amadio/Amodio and print out the results.
Then enter Buttafuoco (its the closest to the mother's surname).
Compare the lists and see if both names are common in one or more town.
Concentrate on the towns on the coast since they were barge captains.
I've been doing this but with Cognomix.it, and have also been searching the related surnames using Steve Morse's gold form and seeing what comuni they have come from. I'll be sure to use this one too, I had no clue it existed!
-
GenealogyFan77
- Rookie

- Posts: 31
- Joined: 23 Jun 2018, 01:46
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Looking for birth record of Antonino/Antonio Amadeo from "Palermo"...can't find anything at all
Well done!GenealogyFan77 wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 03:21 FOUND IT! It was in Porto Empedocle! https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=220908
As for the other sites for surname distribution I understand most of them use the paginebianche as their source.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.