All in the Family

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Post Reply
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

All in the Family

Post by darkerhorse »

I'm struggling with nomenclature to identify six generations of relatives in a given small town in Sicily in charts and in a narrative.

I like the hierarchical categories of tribe, clan, branch, and family, but that's only four categories, and I need six. Using "group" as a category seems too vague.

I was thinking of using the prefix "sub" twice, for example, sub-tribe, and sub-family, but that's a little awkward. The resulting hierarchy would be:

Gen 1: Tribe
Gen 2: Sub-Tribe
Gen 3 Clan
Gen 4: Branch
Gen 5: Family
Gen 6: Sub-Family

There's only one couple identified in Gen 1 and one in Gen 2. I like using "clan" for Gen 3 because that's where ancestors really branch out - 8 couples. I'm using that Gen (3) as a point of reference or identity, as in "the heads of the 5 families". Which clan are you in, has a ring to it.

My grandparents' generation is Gen 6, the principal immigrant generation, so I like that their parents' generation (Gen 5) is labeled "families". My extended family can relate to that - their grandparents and siblings coming from the same "family".

An alternative is
Gen 4: Branch
Gen 5: Sub-Branch
Gen 6: Family

but I would have the awkward label of sub-branch for the reference group in Sicily before immigration - "our grandparents came from the same sub-branch", versus "our grandparents came from the same family".

Another issue is what to call subsequent generations, Gen 7 etc.?

Any comments or suggestions?

I'd be surprised if anyone responds, but this post gave me a chance to think it threw some more.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: All in the Family

Post by darkerhorse »

Another option, which preserves meaningful labels for the key generations of 1,3, and 5, is to do away with "branch" and use "sub" each time after a key generation:

Gen 1: Tribe
Gen 2: Sub-Tribe
Gen 3 Clan
Gen 4: Sub-Clan
Gen 5: Family
Gen 6: Sub-Family

For example, "I descend from the Luigi Sub-Family of the Salvatore Family of the Rosario Sub-Clan of the Emanuele Clan of the Mauro Sub-Tribe of the Sebastiano Tribe."

Or, if you like "branch" might this version be better?

Gen 1: Tribe
Gen 2: Branch
Gen 3 Clan
Gen 4: Branch
Gen 5: Family
Gen 6: Branch

For example, "I descend from the Luigi Branch of the Salvatore Family of the Rosario Branch of the Emanuele Clan of the Mauro Branch of the Sebastiano Tribe.
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: All in the Family

Post by liviomoreno »

I never heard about this nomenclature in Italy
Some times (especially in the case of noble families) you may see Familyname, branch.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: All in the Family

Post by darkerhorse »

How about nation, tribe, clan, family?
Post Reply