How to get immigrants picture from Declaration of Intent?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
User avatar
tomassid
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: 03 Mar 2011, 16:00

How to get immigrants picture from Declaration of Intent?

Post by tomassid »

Never saw a picture of my great grandfather and he did not complete his citizenship so there is no Certificate which I know has the picture of the immigrant. However, I found his 1940 Declaration on Ancestry and it specifically says a picture was included but was not permitted on that copy. I read on USCIS that Declarations during this time period had 3 copies. Anyone know how to obtain the original Declaration that includes the picture? I've sent for C-files before for other family on my tree but he doesn't have a certificate because he did not finish his citizenship. What a treasure if I could find the copy that has that picture! I've attached a copy of the Declaration for your FYI. Any opinions are appreciated!
Attachments
Pisano_Giuseppe_Declaration_1940.jpg
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: How to get immigrants picture from Declaration of Intent?

Post by mler »

Have you checked with NARA?
User avatar
tomassid
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: 03 Mar 2011, 16:00

Re: How to get immigrants picture from Declaration of Intent?

Post by tomassid »

Sent for a copy from USCIS hoping it is not the same copy I found on Ancestry. Hoping I get lucky. Thought someone on this site might have forged this road before. I read this on another site.

While it is possible to locate a photograph of the immigrant attached to the naturalization records, it is not alway a guarantee that they are there. The inclusion of photographs when filing naturalization documents started on July 1, 1929 with the use of the Declaration of Intention form 2202-L-A.

The Declaration of Intention form 2202-L-A included a photograph of the declarant (signed by immigrant and partially indent with the court's seal.) This photograph was attached to the duplicate (copy set to Bureau of Naturalization) and triplicate (copy retained by declarant until they filed it with their petition for naturalization) copies. The photograph typically will not appear on the court's original copy.
Post Reply