My Generation
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
My Generation
In common usage, a generation usually refers to those born in the same period, like the baby boom generation, born 1946-1964. When I say someone is my generation I mean they were born in the same time period as me.
However, in genealogy, I usually think of a generation has including those on the same level in a family tree, no matter what their age differences.
My father and his maternal 1st cousins were born over a 30-year period. He was 29 years older than his youngest maternal 1st cousin. In fact, I was 4 years older than my father's youngest maternal 1st cousin.
My question is what the definition of generation is in genealogy, and whether there's another term in genealogy, other than generation, to refer to those on the same level of a family tree, regardless of age?
However, in genealogy, I usually think of a generation has including those on the same level in a family tree, no matter what their age differences.
My father and his maternal 1st cousins were born over a 30-year period. He was 29 years older than his youngest maternal 1st cousin. In fact, I was 4 years older than my father's youngest maternal 1st cousin.
My question is what the definition of generation is in genealogy, and whether there's another term in genealogy, other than generation, to refer to those on the same level of a family tree, regardless of age?
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: My Generation
Is that cousin my generation or my father's generation?
I think of him as my father's generation, but if he wasn't a relative I'd think of him as my generation.
My father also had an aunt who was only 6 years older than him. I don't recall if he thought of her as an aunt or more like a cousin.
I think of him as my father's generation, but if he wasn't a relative I'd think of him as my generation.
My father also had an aunt who was only 6 years older than him. I don't recall if he thought of her as an aunt or more like a cousin.
- MarcuccioV
- Master

- Posts: 1903
- Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
- Location: West Hills, CA USA
Re: My Generation
I guess it depends on how you're trying to categorize those ancestors. I have a genetic match (3rd cousin 1x removed) who is approximately my age, however has an extra gen (making him 1x removed) between himself and our MRCA.
I still consider him "my generation" despite the fact that as far as generations of ancestors go, he is the generation behind me.
So I think it's more a matter of opinion than anything else. No right or wrong answers, just however you prefer to look at it...
I still consider him "my generation" despite the fact that as far as generations of ancestors go, he is the generation behind me.
So I think it's more a matter of opinion than anything else. No right or wrong answers, just however you prefer to look at it...
Mark
If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...
Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...
Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: My Generation
Within the context of genealogy I've been using the terms my generation, my father's generation, my grandfather's generation, etc. meaning where they fall on the family tree, not their birth year.
- MarcuccioV
- Master

- Posts: 1903
- Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
- Location: West Hills, CA USA
Re: My Generation
If that works for your purposes, then that's the right answer for you. I prefer to do more of a "birth year range" format since not all the previous gens line up (some are off quite a bit). That's what works best for me.darkerhorse wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 18:52 Within the context of genealogy I've been using the terms my generation, my father's generation, my grandfather's generation, etc. meaning where they fall on the family tree, not their birth year.
In the end it's all semantics anyway...
Mark
If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...
Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...
Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: My Generation
I believe it's more than semantics.
Degree of blood relationship is determined by generation as I've defined it, not by closeness of age.
So, for genealogy, I think that makes more sense.
Degree of blood relationship is determined by generation as I've defined it, not by closeness of age.
So, for genealogy, I think that makes more sense.
- MarcuccioV
- Master

- Posts: 1903
- Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
- Location: West Hills, CA USA
Re: My Generation
It's all in the context, I suppose...
Mark
If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...
Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...
Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: My Generation
I've been avoiding the term "removed".
For example, instead of "1st cousin once-removed" I've been going with "my father's 1st cousin" or "my father's generation".
That seems to resonate better with those not familiar with genealogy.
For example, instead of "1st cousin once-removed" I've been going with "my father's 1st cousin" or "my father's generation".
That seems to resonate better with those not familiar with genealogy.
- MarcuccioV
- Master

- Posts: 1903
- Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
- Location: West Hills, CA USA
Re: My Generation
Yes, that makes sense. I don't mind using the term since it's common on genealogical sites. I don't really stray very far beyond that as most of my family members don't have the same focus that I do...darkerhorse wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 21:49 I've been avoiding the term "removed".
For example, instead of "1st cousin once-removed" I've been going with "my father's 1st cousin" or "my father's generation".
That seems to resonate better with those not familiar with genealogy.
Mark
If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...
Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...
Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: My Generation
No one has the same focus.
- MarcuccioV
- Master

- Posts: 1903
- Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
- Location: West Hills, CA USA
Re: My Generation
Concordato.
Mark
If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...
Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...
Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: My Generation
I think young Don Vito said "semu d'accordu" or something similar.
- MarcuccioV
- Master

- Posts: 1903
- Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
- Location: West Hills, CA USA
Re: My Generation
"Siamo d'accordo" (we agree) in our dialect. Concordato is "agreed"...darkerhorse wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 03:27 I think young Don Vito said "semu d'accordu" or something similar.
Mark
If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...
Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...
Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: My Generation
I think "semu" (siamo) is Sicilian, or at least in Siracusa province.
Your dialect looks the same as proper Italian.
Your dialect looks the same as proper Italian.