Are there more riveli records hiding on the Italian State Archive website?
-
GenealogyFan77
- Rookie

- Posts: 31
- Joined: 23 Jun 2018, 01:46
Are there more riveli records hiding on the Italian State Archive website?
I noticed that the State Archives have some Riveli records online, in a very confusing format. These are the same ones scanned by FamilySearch.
Here is the example of what has been included:
http://san.beniculturali.it/web/san/doc ... Hdh3_enti=
I believe that this collection roughly corresponds with this collection on FamilySearch:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library
Now my question is this: if these records are on san.beniculturali.it, is it possible that other Riveli documents, at the comune level, are on there, which are just more difficult to find?
Here is the example of what has been included:
http://san.beniculturali.it/web/san/doc ... Hdh3_enti=
I believe that this collection roughly corresponds with this collection on FamilySearch:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library
Now my question is this: if these records are on san.beniculturali.it, is it possible that other Riveli documents, at the comune level, are on there, which are just more difficult to find?
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Are there more riveli records hiding on the Italian State Archive website?
Is there a way to tell which towns have Riveli documents available online at Antenati?
I don't see any Riveli documents available online at familysearch.org.
I don't see any Riveli documents available online at familysearch.org.
-
GenealogyFan77
- Rookie

- Posts: 31
- Joined: 23 Jun 2018, 01:46
Re: Are there more riveli records hiding on the Italian State Archive website?
This is what I'm hoping to find out. It seems like they share the same ones, possibly. It really is an inconvenience that the documents can only be accessed at a family history center.darkerhorse wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 23:30 Is there a way to tell which towns have Riveli documents available online at Antenati?
I don't see any Riveli documents available online at familysearch.org.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Are there more riveli records hiding on the Italian State Archive website?
Riveli records are difficult to navigate and to read, but worth the trip to a FHC, unless it's too far away.
If so, maybe someone here will volunteer to search for you.
I haven't returned to a FHC since the beginning of the pandemic and I have no plans to return anytime soon.
If so, maybe someone here will volunteer to search for you.
I haven't returned to a FHC since the beginning of the pandemic and I have no plans to return anytime soon.
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Are there more riveli records hiding on the Italian State Archive website?
Since Family Search is doing the digitizing for Antenati it's not surprising that the records are the same.
https://angelresearch.net/2019/01/30/th ... -uploaded/
To learn what other Riveli records Family Search has digitized search under 'catalog' with keyword 'riveli'. There are over 20 pages mostly SIcily.
https://angelresearch.net/2019/01/30/th ... -uploaded/
To learn what other Riveli records Family Search has digitized search under 'catalog' with keyword 'riveli'. There are over 20 pages mostly SIcily.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Are there more riveli records hiding on the Italian State Archive website?
@darkerhorse
For Siracusa Province, Sicily
starting with the link provided by GenealogyFan77 in the initial post of this thread,
http://san.beniculturali.it/web/san/doc ... Hdh3_enti=
The right column says Sicilia (9353); if you click on this, the next screen will give you a list of Sicilian provinces. I tried Siracusa, which I know you also have an interest in. There are 1228 images there. The first image has a microfilm number which I then searched on familysearch. #2270569. On family search, it shows Riveli 1811-1816 for the city of Siracusa, but I started looking through the images, and the beginning ones are for the town of Sinagra, in case anyone needs those. I don't have time to go through all of them, but they appear to be mainly for the city of Siracusa, and I see a parish San Paolo, I think it was, as well. There also is another image, I think image 14, with another film number,, but I can't find it at all. I believe the numbers are 2446015201203. I've tried only using the first 9 numbers but have had no success with that.
For Siracusa Province, Sicily
starting with the link provided by GenealogyFan77 in the initial post of this thread,
http://san.beniculturali.it/web/san/doc ... Hdh3_enti=
The right column says Sicilia (9353); if you click on this, the next screen will give you a list of Sicilian provinces. I tried Siracusa, which I know you also have an interest in. There are 1228 images there. The first image has a microfilm number which I then searched on familysearch. #2270569. On family search, it shows Riveli 1811-1816 for the city of Siracusa, but I started looking through the images, and the beginning ones are for the town of Sinagra, in case anyone needs those. I don't have time to go through all of them, but they appear to be mainly for the city of Siracusa, and I see a parish San Paolo, I think it was, as well. There also is another image, I think image 14, with another film number,, but I can't find it at all. I believe the numbers are 2446015201203. I've tried only using the first 9 numbers but have had no success with that.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Are there more riveli records hiding on the Italian State Archive website?
Thanks.
I'll peruse the files but since there are no Riveli records for towns of interest online at Family Search I doubt they'll be online at Antenati.
I'll peruse the files but since there are no Riveli records for towns of interest online at Family Search I doubt they'll be online at Antenati.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Are there more riveli records hiding on the Italian State Archive website?
Which places are you interested in?GenealogyFan77 wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 19:20 I noticed that the State Archives have some Riveli records online, in a very confusing format. These are the same ones scanned by FamilySearch.
Here is the example of what has been included:
http://san.beniculturali.it/web/san/doc ... Hdh3_enti=
I believe that this collection roughly corresponds with this collection on FamilySearch:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library
Now my question is this: if these records are on san.beniculturali.it, is it possible that other Riveli documents, at the comune level, are on there, which are just more difficult to find?
Re: Are there more riveli records hiding on the Italian State Archive website?
I agree that riveli records are difficult to navigate, but renting those microfilms at a local FHC can be quite costly. Years ago, I rented one roll of riveli microfilm for the town of Sortino, and it took several trips there to get through it. Plus, I only found one page on the entire roll of microfilm where the ancestor's surname appeared, and the only info I got for him was a list of how many mules he owned and was taxed on. I didn't learn anything about his family at all. The others on the page were other town residents who had the small plots of land near his. It was a major disappointment. Recently, I also read that, when a family had a lot of male children, only the oldest male child was often listed in the riveli, as males were taxed and, by naming only their oldest male child, poor peasants avoided paying taxes on their other male children. So, even if you are lucky to find an ancestor with family members enumerated, bear in mind that you might not actually get a complete list of all family members.darkerhorse wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 21:45 Riveli records are difficult to navigate and to read, but worth the trip to a FHC, unless it's too far away.
If so, maybe someone here will volunteer to search for you.
I haven't returned to a FHC since the beginning of the pandemic and I have no plans to return anytime soon.
Erudita
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Are there more riveli records hiding on the Italian State Archive website?
At the FHC I went to, the Riveli records were digitized files (not on microfilm) available on their computers for free, unlimited use.
I guess it depends on which town you're researching.
However, I recall accessing some Riveli for Sortino which were also digitized and free at my FHC.
I guess it depends on which town you're researching.
However, I recall accessing some Riveli for Sortino which were also digitized and free at my FHC.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Are there more riveli records hiding on the Italian State Archive website?
Riveli records before 1800 contain more information than those after 1800, at least where I was searching.
In general, I agree that many of the Riveli records are disappointing, but you never know what you'll discover.
In general, I agree that many of the Riveli records are disappointing, but you never know what you'll discover.