Looking for Italian Ancestors

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
AjaraNight
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 02 Apr 2022, 00:17

Looking for Italian Ancestors

Post by AjaraNight »

Hi, I have been stuck finding my grandmother's parents since 1989. I heard they were from Sicily. Their last name changed to Nicholas coming to the USA in 1910. I believe it was originally Nicolis/Nickolas.
I found Lawrence Nicholas for USA but also saw Lorenzo on a census, which may have also been changed. Lawrence was born in 1880-1881. His wife, Mary Siecli or Cicola was born 1883-1884. They had 4 sons born in Italy before coming to Northampton, MA. Bart was born about 1905, Joseph born around 1907, Anthony (Tony) born about 1909 and Colie about 1910.
I'm looking for any birth certificates to further my research.
Thank you for any help.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Looking for Italian Ancestors

Post by suanj »

Hi, welcome on IG forum.
No your ancestors were no born in Sicily but around Bari, Apulia IT. The surname spelling is MICCOLIS.. here the WWI draft registration card
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3AKZNZ-RDS
Lawrence stated Bari, but the birthtown could be some Municipality in Bari province..
the search continue,
best,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Looking for Italian Ancestors

Post by suanj »

Here the arrival of Maria SICOLI with children Giuseppe, Dionisio and Nicola joining to Oronzo Miccolis in Northhampton...
birthplace: Sammichele di BARI
line 18 and following
pag 1 https://heritage.statueofliberty.org/sh ... cGciOw==/1
pag 2 https://heritage.statueofliberty.org/sh ... cGciOw==/1
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Looking for Italian Ancestors

Post by suanj »

Oronzo MICCOLIS born in Sammichele di Bari, Bari, IT on 7 Apr 1880 #68 at home in 23 Alighieri Alley son of Giuseppantonio 36 old farmer, and of Maria Dalfino daughter of late Oronzo.

Oronzo married to Maria Sicolo/Sicoli on 7 Nov 1904 in Sammichele di Bari.
https://www.antenati.san.beniculturali. ... id=4338650
pag 31
hoping helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite
Posts: 441
Joined: 01 Jun 2014, 18:11
Location: Peninsula, San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Looking for Italian Ancestors

Post by mjclayton1 »

It never ceases to amaze me how the numerous helpful people here are not acknowledged for the work they do. Even if the people who ask the questions don't say it, know that you are appreciated.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Looking for Italian Ancestors

Post by suanj »

Thanks!
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply