Hi all,
I was pointed here from https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic?p=325651 where I was discussing genealogy and trying to get some evidence for an Italian citizenship application via descent, as my mother was born in Italy. However, she moved from Italy to Australia as a child in 1966, and has lived in Australia ever since.
I'm unsure if I am going to be eligible for Italian citizenship, as while my mother was born in Italy, she now lives in Australia as a citizen. I am unsure if she still maintains her Italian citizenship or has renounced it - I am assuming this would be a key factor in whether or not I am eligible.
Any clarification is appreciated - thank you!
Italian Mother - Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?
Re: Italian Mother - Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?
So it seems your mother arrived to Australia with her parents.
You should find when and in which way she became Australian citizen (If it was before 1992 she should have lost the Italian citizenship) and if you were born before or after her naturalization.
You should look at the website of the Italian consulate competent for your town of residence for the list of documents required.
You should find when and in which way she became Australian citizen (If it was before 1992 she should have lost the Italian citizenship) and if you were born before or after her naturalization.
You should look at the website of the Italian consulate competent for your town of residence for the list of documents required.
Re: Italian Mother - Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?
Addition:
1. You didn't say if you were born in Australia; if not, you were not Australian citizen at birth.
2. If you have or receive Italian citizenship in addition to Australian citizenship, you'll not be allowed to
hold certain elective offices in Australia.
1. You didn't say if you were born in Australia; if not, you were not Australian citizen at birth.
2. If you have or receive Italian citizenship in addition to Australian citizenship, you'll not be allowed to
hold certain elective offices in Australia.
Re: Italian Mother - Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?
Thanks very much for your help here, it's along the lines of what I was thinking - I am quite sure she was a citizen of Australia before 1992, meaning that she has probably lost it now and thus lost it before I was born, as I was born in the late 90's in Australia.
Will get in contact with the relevant Italian consulate and see if they're able to provide some help.
Will get in contact with the relevant Italian consulate and see if they're able to provide some help.
Re: Italian Mother - Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?
That's the peculiar nature of Italian citizenship. You can have a native-born Italian parent and not be eligible....while some people are eligible when their LIR is a GGGGF.CiaoBella wrote: 02 Apr 2022, 13:50 Thanks very much for your help here, it's along the lines of what I was thinking - I am quite sure she was a citizen of Australia before 1992, meaning that she has probably lost it now and thus lost it before I was born, as I was born in the late 90's in Australia.
Will get in contact with the relevant Italian consulate and see if they're able to provide some help.
Re: Italian Mother - Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?
That was the situation with my family. My children were not eligible through my Italian-born husband but were eligible through my gf.
Re: Italian Mother - Am I eligible for Italian Citizenship?
I can relate to this! My mother was born in Italy. She became naturalized as a minor in 1970, before I was born. Therefore, I don't qualify through my Italian-born mother and have to go through my Great Great Grandmother on my dad's side. I so wish the dual-citizenship law of 1992 could have been retroactive to the Italian constitution or something.



