Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
My grandfather was born in Italy. His wife was not. Their children(my parents) were born in Australia and are Australian Citizens. Would anyone know off hand if I would be elegible for Italian Citizenship?
Italian laws for citizenship appear to be different for North and South America. Consequently there may be unique situations for OZX. I would strongly suggest that you contact the Italian embassy or consulate nearest your home for instructions in filing for citizernship..Perhaps going in person and making an inquiry at such a place,.if convenient ,may be helpful as well. Peter NYC
ptimber wrote:Italian laws for citizenship appear to be different for North and South America. Consequently there may be unique situations for OZX. I would strongly suggest that you contact the Italian embassy or consulate nearest your home for instructions in filing for citizernship..Perhaps going in person and making an inquiry at such a place,.if convenient ,may be helpful as well. Peter NYC
Thanks for your quick reply. I was wondering if anyone knew this from experience.
There is no one I know who has had any experience with OZ citizens requesting Italian citizenship (EU citizenship). What seems to be the problem when contacting the Italian embassy in Canberra can give you all the answers ??? Peter
There is an american residing in Italy who acquired italian citizenship while staying in Italy based upon what Italian law fopr those eligibile for italian citizenship from north America. Do you want to contact him dirtectly?Peter
ptimber wrote:There is no one I know who has had any experience with OZ citizens requesting Italian citizenship (EU citizenship). What seems to be the problem when contacting the Italian embassy in Canberra can give you all the answers ??? Peter
Thanks Peter. As stated, my intention is to see if anyone knows from experience.
You did not explain sufficiently but know you have. There is a gentlmen who is a USC and who acquired Italian citizenship. He has given permission to contact him as Tuscany724@yahoo.com and his name is J.Raffa. Lots of luck. Peter