Baptism Name

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Post Reply
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Baptism Name

Post by darkerhorse »

Does anyone, who was baptized Roman Catholic in the U.S., know whether they were baptized by a priest who used the Latin or Italian version of your given name?
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Baptism Name

Post by darkerhorse »

I'm talking about those whose legal given name was in the English language, like a Joseph who was baptized Giuseppe or a Mary who was baptized Maria by the priest in the U.S.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Baptism Name

Post by darkerhorse »

My father told me that the priest used the Italian form of my legal given name when I was baptized in the U.S. even though everyone was English-speaking.

I've seen marriage documents in the U.S. in which the Priest used Latin or Italian forms of given names, but I haven't seen that done in baptism records.
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Baptism Name

Post by darkerhorse »

I should make it clear, I'm asking what name was spoken by the priest at the baptism ceremony - not necessarily what's recorded on the written document (which is most likely the legal, given name in English).

In my case, the baptism certificate has my legal given name in English, but apparently the priest used the Italian version when he conducted the ceremony. So, I always say I was baptized with my Italian name. I don't know whether the priest was Italian or not, or whether my father requested it or not. I suspect the church had an Italian-American congregation, and it was common practice.
Post Reply