exits from Usa

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
kepi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 80
Joined: 12 May 2006, 00:00
Location: ITALY!

exits from Usa

Post by kepi »

Hallo,
I ask you :
but the Usa exits ( for example italian immgrants who went back to Italy definitively after years , were booked ?
thanks again
kepi
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1874
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: exits from Usa

Post by ricbru »

Hello Kepi,
the NARA Archive in Washington DC has only the passengers lists to USA.
There are not passengers lists of people leaving USA
bye Riccardo
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: exits from Usa

Post by suanj »

Hi kepi, I know that are on line only the Italian
Emigrants in Philadelphia, PA that back in Italy from Sep 1918-Jan 1919

(Source: Contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by Herbert Hart.)
the first part are this interesting info:


Prior to 1914 there was little need for a passport in order to arrive or
leave the United States. With the entry of the U.S. into World War I, it
became apparent that the country must protect itself from foreign agents.
As of 26 July 1917, passports were required. By the Act of May 22, 1918,
foreigners wishing to leave the country were required to file an "Alien's
Application for Permission to Depart from the United States" As the war drew to a close many persons chose to return to their native land. For the
fiscal year ending 30 June 1919, 10,730 applications were received at
Philadelphia.

Eventually, being obsolete, these files were disposed of by the INS offices
throughout the U.S., EXCEPT in Philadelphia. Some 2500 of these have
survived for the period September 1918 to January 1919. Over half of these
are from Italian citizens (Birds of Passage). Twenty-seven countries are
represented.

These applications contain a wealth of information regarding these
individuals. Besides their name, age and parentage, there is where, when
and how they arrived in the U.S. and where they have been residing. Finally
there is a full physical description with a photograph. Spouses and
children under 14 years of age were covered by the same application.

Regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: exits from Usa

Post by jcsm400 »

suanj,

More knowledge. Thank you.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: exits from Usa

Post by suanj »

:lol: suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
kepi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 80
Joined: 12 May 2006, 00:00
Location: ITALY!

Re: exits from Usa

Post by kepi »

dear jcsm,
but when the immigrants went to Usa what was their documents?? :?:
I don't believe that they had passport...

jcsm400 wrote:suanj,

More knowledge. Thank you.

jcsm
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: exits from Usa

Post by suanj »

they had the passport, because in italy the passport was so much time, and the ship's manifest they was made by passports, regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply