Dr. Ilia Galleani 1897-1979

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JamesM
Elite
Elite
Posts: 444
Joined: 19 Mar 2015, 00:49
Location: Esperia, Italy

Re: Dr. Ilia Galleani 1897-1979

Post by JamesM »

Cossyra's husband would be Mario Rivarola born 1896 Sori, Genova
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Dr. Ilia Galleani 1897-1979

Post by Tessa78 »

Can you post the Cossyra immigration records?

For your records...
Here is the baptism of Ilia Tessiere.
Bottom of left page to top of right page.
#66

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=195387

T.
JamesM
Elite
Elite
Posts: 444
Joined: 19 Mar 2015, 00:49
Location: Esperia, Italy

Re: Dr. Ilia Galleani 1897-1979

Post by JamesM »

User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Dr. Ilia Galleani 1897-1979

Post by Tessa78 »

Thank you.
It appears she signed on to work aboard ship as a stewardess.

I posted baptism of Ilia above.

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Dr. Ilia Galleani 1897-1979

Post by Tessa78 »

There are still unanswered questions about Ilia's father, Dante Giovanni Tessieri/e...
so I searched and found his birth act in Pisa. I was hoping there would be a notation of his death on the record, but there is not. Since Dante was a sailor/mariner, perhaps he was lost at sea (of course this is speculation), but it might explain Maria getting remarried to Luigi Galleani.

For your records...
#808 - Pisa Births in 1867.
Dante Giovanni Tessieri
His father was Serafino [son of deceased Giuseppe Tessieri] age 30, mason.
Mother was Lucia [daughter of Valente Mattei] age 29, his wife
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=819188

T.
JamesM
Elite
Elite
Posts: 444
Joined: 19 Mar 2015, 00:49
Location: Esperia, Italy

Re: Dr. Ilia Galleani 1897-1979

Post by JamesM »

I still wonder of Dante and Luigi are one and the same.

Dante could have been lost at sea and Maria remarried.
Odd though that Ilia has the surname Galleani in America.
If I could find Cossyra's birth that may help to tie in some missing pieces.
Her birth is listed as 6 June 1900 on a myheritage.com without a location.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Dr. Ilia Galleani 1897-1979

Post by Tessa78 »

JamesM wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 22:28 I still wonder of Dante and Luigi are one and the same.

Dante could have been lost at sea and Maria remarried.
Odd though that Ilia has the surname Galleani in America.

If I could find Cossyra's birth that may help to tie in some missing pieces.
Her birth is listed as 6 June 1900 on a myheritage.com without a location.
Have looked extensively in Pantelleria for the birth of Cossyra, but with no success.
Have also not found a marriage for Luigi and Maria.

As to the surname used by Ilia...
SUPPOSE - Dante, as a mariner, set sail soon after his marriage to Maria. He does not return. Not uncommon among sailors. Marriage March 1895.
We know that Luigi Galleani was on the island of Pantelleria from 1894 to 1900. During that time he meets Maria (whose husband has not returned) and she conceives a child. Conception sometime around August 1895. Ilia is born in May1896, and Dante is not present for the birth. It is very possible that the child was Luigi's. The birth record would not reflect this because it would show a child out of wedlock (since Maria and Luigi were not married and she was married to Dante) and this would be a great shame for Maria. So declaring it as Dante's child makes sense.
I do not know when Maria and Luigi finally married, but once they "settled" in USA, Ilia could use the surname of her actual father. And it appears that she did, for the rest of her life.

A possible scenario...

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Dr. Ilia Galleani 1897-1979

Post by Tessa78 »

Mystery of what happened to Dante Tessieri - solved?

Here is a birth act from 1898 in Rio de Janiero, Brazil.
It is for a child who was given the name Nemo.
The father is: Dante Tessieri, industrial engineer, native of Italy, residing in Nova Friburgo, son of Serafino Tessieri and Lucia Mattei - these are the same parents listed on the birth act I posted earlier for Dante Giovanni Tessieri in Pisa.
The mother, Ida Guaimonti, is also a native of Italy.

Name Nemo Dante
Sex Male
Event Place Nova Friburgo, Nova Friburgo, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Birth Date 1 Aug 1898
Father's Name Tessieri Dante
Mother's Name Ida Guaimonte
Event Type Birth Registration
Certificate Number 3592
Page 100

Looks like Dante may have never returned to Pantelleria...
Bottom right of image - written in Portugese
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1582573

Just an interesting footnote.
This is the Immigration Card for Carlos Tessieri - also a son of Dante Tessieri and Ida Guaimonte - who was born in May 1902 in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Like Ilia, he became a doctor.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:27F7-FBN

T.
JamesM
Elite
Elite
Posts: 444
Joined: 19 Mar 2015, 00:49
Location: Esperia, Italy

Re: Dr. Ilia Galleani 1897-1979

Post by JamesM »

Great find for Nemo. That ties in a lot.

I wonder if Luigi and Maria were married in Egypt.
Also if Cossyra was born there.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Dr. Ilia Galleani 1897-1979

Post by Tessa78 »

JamesM wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 13:42 Great find for Nemo. That ties in a lot.

I wonder if Luigi and Maria were married in Egypt.
Also if Cossyra was born there.
That possibility crossed my mind as well.

T.
JamesM
Elite
Elite
Posts: 444
Joined: 19 Mar 2015, 00:49
Location: Esperia, Italy

Re: Dr. Ilia Galleani 1897-1979

Post by JamesM »

England could also be a possibility.

I still haven't located their entry into the United States.
Salvatore and Ilia both list November 1901, as immigration on their naturalizations.
Salvatore has the port of New York and Ilia has Boston.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Dr. Ilia Galleani 1897-1979

Post by Tessa78 »

JamesM wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 14:46 England could also be a possibility.

I still haven't located their entry into the United States.
Salvatore and Ilia both list November 1901, as immigration on their naturalizations.
Salvatore has the port of New York and Ilia has Boston.
I have also searched extensively for the arrivals of any/all family members.
We know that Luigi Galleani arrived 2 October 1901 from England.
Salvatore lists arrival as 18 October 1901 on the SS Philadelphia. I believe he stated from Southampton, England.
I checked every page of that ship (Philadelphia - arriving 18 October 1901) manifests, but did not find him.
You might try requesting Salvatore's and/or Ilia's naturalization records from NARA. They would have on file a "Certificate of Arrival" needed to prove legal entry into USA for continuation of process after a Declaration of Intent is filed.
You should reference the petition number on the naturalization record.
Here is one for Ilia Galleani
https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-co ... cessSource

If Ilia arrived in 1901, she would have been accompanied by an adult since she was only 5 years of age. Most likely this would have been her mother. I have searched for Maria with surnames Errera, Rallo, Tessieri, and Galleani, but have not yet been successful.

EDIT TO ADD:
Here is evidence that Ilia Galleani married in 1934 in Boston, MA. Spouse's naturalization papers give date and place. Perhaps you can search for a marriage act. It may have more clues about Ilia.
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/co ... =901331105

T.
JamesM
Elite
Elite
Posts: 444
Joined: 19 Mar 2015, 00:49
Location: Esperia, Italy

Re: Dr. Ilia Galleani 1897-1979

Post by JamesM »

I tried to search for her marriage but nothing so far.

I have that Salvatore arrived on the 1 November 1901 or at least that is on his naturalization.
I tried using all the surnames for that date and nothing comes up
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Dr. Ilia Galleani 1897-1979

Post by Tessa78 »

JamesM wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 16:16 I tried to search for her marriage but nothing so far.

I have that Salvatore arrived on the 1 November 1901 or at least that is on his naturalization.
I tried using all the surnames for that date and nothing comes up
I will try searching that ship arrival date. Still the SS Philadelphia, correct?

Also... you were looking for verification of Maria's death in 1935.
Here is page from Massachusetts Death Index.
Galleani Maria Rallo 1935 (then volume and page)
You may be able to get a copy from the state of Massachusetts.
https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-co ... cessSource

T.
JamesM
Elite
Elite
Posts: 444
Joined: 19 Mar 2015, 00:49
Location: Esperia, Italy

Re: Dr. Ilia Galleani 1897-1979

Post by JamesM »

The SS Philadelphia according to his naturalization
Post Reply