Salvatore Salvati (1885-1959)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
Waterlilly67
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 23 Jun 2022, 20:25

Salvatore Salvati (1885-1959)

Post by Waterlilly67 »

I am hoping to find descendants or relatives of the opera tenor Salvatore Salvati. I do not have much information on him, so I don't even know if he ever married let alone had any children.

He was born in Naples in 1885 and died in Olten, Switzerland in 1959. As I mentioned, he was an opera singer and he performed in Italy but then went to South America between 1922-1924 before returning to Italy. After a few performances in Italy, he was in Austria where he was employed as a singing teacher in the 1940's at the Salzburg Mozarteum, then ended up at the Basel Conservatory in Switzerland.

I am hoping to find out more about his singing career in South America (Argentina, Chile, Brazil, Uruguay, etc.) rather than the spotty stuff online that is in no way complete and sometimes wrong. That is why I am hoping to find out if there are descendants, relatives or someone still living that may have information about his career in South America.

Thank you in advance,
Rachel
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Salvatore Salvati (1885-1959)

Post by Tessa78 »

This is a longshot, but something to consider and keep in "reserve" until a later time.

This is a link to the indexed death act for a Lucia de Simone in Castellammare di Stabia, Naples in 1921.
She was age 29 at death, and she was the wife of Salvatore Salvati.
There is nothing in the record to confirm that this is YOUR Salvatore BUT... perhaps Salvatore was so devastated by the death of his wife he left Italy within the year and traveled to South America to continue his singing... Just a thought!

Here is the link. The original document won't open but the information is detailed.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XPF1-24P

T.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Salvatore Salvati (1885-1959)

Post by suanj »

I found this record about the nazi persecution
Image

https://i.postimg.cc/MTvtGzJj/70818323-1.jpg
sure that he is the right person, because he was born in Napoli on 22 Feb 1885
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Salvatore Salvati (1885-1959)

Post by suanj »

no more infos, nothing on line, just in Naples archive of state a folder abt the passport of Salvatore Salvati son of late Luigi, on 1914, no more infos.. this folder, normally was abt who lost own passport and asked the duplicate...
serie Archivio generale.
Passaporti (1913 - 1917)
livello di descrizione
unità archivistica titolo e estremi cronologici
Salvati Salvatore fu Luigi , 1914
unità di conservazione
busta 4559
segnature
segnatura definitiva: 4559.092
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Waterlilly67
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 23 Jun 2022, 20:25

Re: Salvatore Salvati (1885-1959)

Post by Waterlilly67 »

Thank you, Tessa, and suanj! This information helps a lot! It may be why he ended up in Austria then Switzerland teaching.

One of the sopranos he sang with in S. America also had to flee from Italy. She and her husband (also a singer) tried to get permission to leave, but her husband being one of the top tenors at the time, Mussolini wouldn't let singers or artists leave telling them they would be safe. But when Italy aligned with Germany, they had to flee with their daughter and 1 suitcase by "covered train car." Luckily, they made it to Lisbon and were able to get a passage to the States, happened to be the last ship to leave Europe with people fleeing the war. Scary times.
Waterlilly67
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 23 Jun 2022, 20:25

Re: Salvatore Salvati (1885-1959)

Post by Waterlilly67 »

I wonder why he was persecuted by the Nazis. Very interesting
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Salvatore Salvati (1885-1959)

Post by suanj »

Waterlilly67 wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 02:54 I wonder why he was persecuted by the Nazis. Very interesting
Maybe because he was italian, and from allies, after some year of war, did the Italians become enemies? I believe so..
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
luigirusso007
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 103
Joined: 27 Sep 2013, 07:11
Location: Napoli, Italy
Contact:

Re: Salvatore Salvati (1885-1959)

Post by luigirusso007 »

I think the 1914 passport of Salvatore Salvati fu Luigi is the right one. His father was a composer and conductor and his name was Luigi.
In the file are the family details: parents, date of birth and residence.
http://www.lavoceantica.it/Tenore/Salva ... vatore.htm

Archivio di Stato di Napoli
serie Archivio generale.
Passaporti (1913 - 1917)
livello di descrizione
unità archivistica titolo ed estremi cronologici
Salvati Salvatore fu Luigi , 1914
unità di conservazione
busta 4559 segnature segnatura definitiva:
4559.092

Contatti
centralino 0815638111
fax 0815638300
mail: as-na@cultura.gov.it
pec: mbac-as-na@mailcert.beniculturali.it
luigirusso007
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 103
Joined: 27 Sep 2013, 07:11
Location: Napoli, Italy
Contact:

Re: Salvatore Salvati (1885-1959)

Post by luigirusso007 »

I think the 1914 passport of Salvatore Salvati fu Luigi is the right one. Come già scritto da Suanj
His father was a composer and conductor and his name was Luigi.
In the file are the family details: parents, date of birth and residence.
http://www.lavoceantica.it/Tenore/Salva ... vatore.htm

Archivio di Stato di Napoli
serie Archivio generale.
Passaporti (1913 - 1917)
livello di descrizione
unità archivistica titolo ed estremi cronologici
Salvati Salvatore fu Luigi , 1914
unità di conservazione
busta 4559 segnature segnatura definitiva:
4559.092

Contatti
centralino 0815638111
fax 0815638300
mail: as-na@cultura.gov.it
pec: mbac-as-na@mailcert.beniculturali.it
Post Reply