Citizenship By Descent

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
krotelli
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 27 Sep 2021, 11:44

Citizenship By Descent

Post by krotelli »

Hello, I currently reside in Pisa Italy & hold a permesso di soggiorno as well as a Type D Student Visa.

I was hoping there is someone I may be able to connect with on the forums regarding applying for citizenship. I am an American born male 36 years of age.

I do not believe I qualify through my great grandfather since he renounced prior to 1912 however I may be able to go through my great grandmother?

Thanks for any help.

Kyle
afecad
Elite
Elite
Posts: 341
Joined: 09 Sep 2020, 21:34
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Citizenship By Descent

Post by afecad »

krotelli wrote: 15 Jun 2022, 14:37 Hello, I currently reside in Pisa Italy & hold a permesso di soggiorno as well as a Type D Student Visa.

I was hoping there is someone I may be able to connect with on the forums regarding applying for citizenship. I am an American born male 36 years of age.

I do not believe I qualify through my great grandfather since he renounced prior to 1912 however I may be able to go through my great grandmother?

Thanks for any help.

Kyle

Yes if you know for sure your great-grandfather naturalized prior to 1912 then you can try moving forward with your great-grandmother via a 1948 case. I'm using ICA, highly recommend them if you have the budget. I'm still waiting to file my case, one document from the State of PA is still delayed, Covid made the turnaround times for documents globally incredibly long. I started the process in the fall of 2020.
krotelli
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 27 Sep 2021, 11:44

Re: Citizenship By Descent

Post by krotelli »

ok, thank you!
krotelli
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 27 Sep 2021, 11:44

Re: Citizenship By Descent

Post by krotelli »

@afecad do you mind sharing where you will start your case?
I have all my paperwork translated & ready to go!
afecad
Elite
Elite
Posts: 341
Joined: 09 Sep 2020, 21:34
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Citizenship By Descent

Post by afecad »

krotelli wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 16:14 @afecad do you mind sharing where you will start your case?
I have all my paperwork translated & ready to go!
I'm using ICA https://italiancitizenshipassistance.com/ for my case.

I started the process in late 2020 since they were backlogged in taking on new clients.

I only know now due to some delays in getting all the documents corrected, that the case will be filed in Catanzaro, Calabria due to the new law taking the burden off of Rome. There is some concerns this may cause issues as these courts will have little to know experience in jure sanguinis, no pun intended but the jury is still out on that one. For you if you know where your ancestor in question was born, you will likely have to file in that region of Italia.

If you are doing this pro se, I really cannot offer much advice on a 1948 case due to me using ICA as my attorney.

Best of luck!
krotelli
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 27 Sep 2021, 11:44

Re: Citizenship By Descent

Post by krotelli »

Thanks a bunch, ill find a local attorney here in Italy and figure it out. Exciting!
Post Reply