Birth Cert - Illegitimate or twins?
-
samantha235
- Rookie

- Posts: 33
- Joined: 21 May 2020, 14:28
Birth Cert - Illegitimate or twins?
Hi
I have recently found the birth certificate of my great x 3 grandmother, Marie Rea born in Aprino, Frosinone, Italy in 1863. I cannot see a father's name on her certificate, so assumed she was illegitimate. However, on the entry right beside it there is a father's name - both the babies have the same surname, so just want to make sure I'm not getting mixed up and they weren't twins (I think it's probably just a coincidence but want to be sure). I'm limited on my translation skills and would be really grateful if someone could take a look. Thank you.
https://www.antenati.san.beniculturali. ... 66/LmoXnEX Page 92
I have recently found the birth certificate of my great x 3 grandmother, Marie Rea born in Aprino, Frosinone, Italy in 1863. I cannot see a father's name on her certificate, so assumed she was illegitimate. However, on the entry right beside it there is a father's name - both the babies have the same surname, so just want to make sure I'm not getting mixed up and they weren't twins (I think it's probably just a coincidence but want to be sure). I'm limited on my translation skills and would be really grateful if someone could take a look. Thank you.
https://www.antenati.san.beniculturali. ... 66/LmoXnEX Page 92
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Birth Cert - Illegitimate or twins?
Angela’s parents are Francesco Rea and Santa Rea, and Marie’s parents are Francesco Rea and Matilde Guadrini. The ages and occupations of the two Francescos, as recorded, are different.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Birth Cert - Illegitimate or twins?
Both couples are legally married.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Birth Cert - Illegitimate or twins?
I think the two babies were born on the same day, 12 hours apart with Angela baptized on the day of birth and Marie tow days later.
-
samantha235
- Rookie

- Posts: 33
- Joined: 21 May 2020, 14:28
Re: Birth Cert - Illegitimate or twins?
Thank you very much Darkerhorse. I couldn't see the name Francesco's name on Maries? Maybe too long staring at the screen.
I've looked again - Where Franscesco Rea is on Angleas birth certificate - when I move over to Maries' it says Annamarie, with the occupation Midwife, that's why I wondered if there was no father mentioned?
I've looked again - Where Franscesco Rea is on Angleas birth certificate - when I move over to Maries' it says Annamarie, with the occupation Midwife, that's why I wondered if there was no father mentioned?
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Birth Cert - Illegitimate or twins?
The midwife appeared in person (probably with the baby) to register the birth. For Angela, he father appeared to register it.
In Marie's record read the line starting with e' nata da and you will see mother and then father named.
Someone else should confirm this in case I'm wrong.
In Marie's record read the line starting with e' nata da and you will see mother and then father named.
Someone else should confirm this in case I'm wrong.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Birth Cert - Illegitimate or twins?
the wording e' comparso (or comparsa or comparsi) means who appeared to register the birth. It's often the father or midwife, but not always.
In Angela's record the father appeared, in Marie's record the midwife appeared.
In Angela's record the father appeared, in Marie's record the midwife appeared.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Birth Cert - Illegitimate or twins?
"da" (of or from) followed by mother Matilde Guadrini and then "e da" (and of or and from) followed by father Francesco Rea.
I'm not sure of the spelling of the mother's surname.
I bet someone else will tie it altogether for you better than I have.
I'm not sure of the spelling of the mother's surname.
I bet someone else will tie it altogether for you better than I have.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Birth Cert - Illegitimate or twins?
On Marie's record, after Francesco Rea's name, it reads "marito legittimo" (legitimate or legal husband).
So, I'm confident of no illegitimate birth and no twins but like you heard me said, we'll see.
So, I'm confident of no illegitimate birth and no twins but like you heard me said, we'll see.
-
samantha235
- Rookie

- Posts: 33
- Joined: 21 May 2020, 14:28
Re: Birth Cert - Illegitimate or twins?
Ah ha, I see it now. Thank you so much for helping and for explaining the layout further, this will help me in the future when I'm looking for other ones.
-
samantha235
- Rookie

- Posts: 33
- Joined: 21 May 2020, 14:28
Re: Birth Cert - Illegitimate or twins?
I got caught out with a break in lines yesterday too lol, I should have learned!
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Birth Cert - Illegitimate or twins?
I find being able to translate for yourself is very rewarding.
-
samantha235
- Rookie

- Posts: 33
- Joined: 21 May 2020, 14:28
Re: Birth Cert - Illegitimate or twins?
It's a double trouble, the language barrier and the curves lol. I'm starting to get a bit better; I knew I had a couple of great grandparents who were Italian and a couple French. Turns out one of the French is actually Italian so I'm back to that again - I speak neither so I'm back and forth with the words. I'm really good at distinguishing the name Marie though haha. Thank you again for your help, it really does make all the difference to us who cannot read Italian fluently xx
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Birth Cert - Illegitimate or twins?
darkerhorse wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 19:39 "...... Metilde Guadrini .....
I'm not sure of the spelling of the mother's surname.
Maria Rea's mother's surname looks to be Quadrini. (Just to add some additional info, she was the daughter of the deceased Giovanni, and was 36 yo.)
There is also an annotation on the record as follows: "On 5? March 1881, Maria married in Arpino, Marco Zuffranieri...."
I've only had a quick a look but everything else looks fine.
Angela
-
samantha235
- Rookie

- Posts: 33
- Joined: 21 May 2020, 14:28
Re: Birth Cert - Illegitimate or twins?
Thanks Angela. I knew she was married to Marco, this is how I knew it was the correct Marie, there were a couple born around the same time frame - a friend located it.
The records I'm using only go to 1865. I really need the ones after, my great grandfather was born in 1886, Giovanne Zuffranieri in Arpino (he moved to France sometime later and is known as Jean thereafter) and I cannot find his birth certificate. Do you know if there may be records somewhere around this time.
Again, thank you for your time and help, it really is appreciated and helps us novices out no end xx
The records I'm using only go to 1865. I really need the ones after, my great grandfather was born in 1886, Giovanne Zuffranieri in Arpino (he moved to France sometime later and is known as Jean thereafter) and I cannot find his birth certificate. Do you know if there may be records somewhere around this time.
Again, thank you for your time and help, it really is appreciated and helps us novices out no end xx