Notarial Records - Rome

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
Varano
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 05 May 2023, 05:06

Notarial Records - Rome

Post by Varano »

Hello,

how easy is it to access the notarial records in Rome?

I think I have found several of my Roman ancestors in the Ruberiche for the notarial records in Rome in the 1700s and 1800s and I want to try using this to fill in gaps.

What information might be contained?
- Would it say the parish they were living in?
- Would it give their parents names, or their place of birth?
- Would it give their age?
- Would these sorts of documents usually mention spouses and children?

I need to find someone to go to the archives in Rome for me, but in the meantime I want to know if its worth it to explore this avenue.
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Notarial Records - Rome

Post by PippoM »

Hi,
such records are at the Archivio di Stato of Roma, and can be seen there.
As to your questions, there's no accurate answer, it depends on the kind of records you find.
For instance, if they are testaments, they usually mention spouses and children, of course, and sometismes include a death record, if the notarial record is about the opening of the testament. in that case, you would find the parish, and the usual information of church death records.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Post Reply