Hello for years I have been trying to trace an ancestor back to Rome: Camillo Galliati
The only information I have from him is that he married Maria Santulli (location unknown) and had a single daughter in Pescina, Abruzzo in 1817. According to that birth he was a tailor from Rome.
Using Roman Notarial indexes from the 1800s and 1700s the only names that are similar are:
Galletti
Galeotti
Galieti
Galletti seems to be the most common of these. Galieti only has a single instance. However Galeotti to me sounds the most similar, and has a notarial record for a Camillo Galleotti (although this would be too old to be my Camillo)
I need opinions:
What is the most likely name to pursue in Rome.
Would notarial records give clues are to parishes to search for baptisms for MY Camillo in?
How likely is it that the only Camillo, Camillo Galleotti whose notarial record is from 1761, is a grandfather of my Camillo (how common in the 1700s was it for children to be named after a potentially recently dead grandparent?)?
Thanks!
