Hello,
Both of my great-great grandparents are from Italy (maternal side = my grandma's, dad's parents). My great-great grandfather was naturalized, but only after my great grandfather was born. This is where I start to get confused. I don't know what would count as "renouncing Italian citizenship" nor do I know if that applies to anything my great grandfather, grandma, or mom did in their lifetime.
Example: mom was in the military. I have no idea if or what qualifies for "renouncing Italian citizenship."
Everything else seems to qualify, but any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated and I hope I explained my confusion properly. Thank you!
Qualify for Dual Citizenship
Re: Qualify for Dual Citizenship
As your ancestors after that/those immigrated to the US, they were US citizen, i don't think the US required to renounce to a possible other citizenship. This should be verified for those who arrived from Italy in the case they worked for the US government.
Re: Qualify for Dual Citizenship
It should be possible that any of the descendants until you has decided to renounce to the Italian citizenship;
when applying, you should declare that this didn't happen and will be verified by the consulate of the area where the persons lived.
when applying, you should declare that this didn't happen and will be verified by the consulate of the area where the persons lived.
Re: Qualify for Dual Citizenship
"I don't know what would count as 'renouncing Italian citizenship'"
I believe in the course of the naturalization process an applicant must explicitly renounce a previous citizenship. I have document called a "Declaration of Intention" that my grandfather submitted preparatory to becoming a citizen in which he had to "renounce forever any allegiance" to a foreign power, prince, etc. and "particularly to King Victor Emanuel III, King of Italy, of whom I am now a subject." Interestingly, he also had to stipulate that he wasn't an anarchist, polygamist, or some other objectionable character.
Hope this helps.
Don Canton
I believe in the course of the naturalization process an applicant must explicitly renounce a previous citizenship. I have document called a "Declaration of Intention" that my grandfather submitted preparatory to becoming a citizen in which he had to "renounce forever any allegiance" to a foreign power, prince, etc. and "particularly to King Victor Emanuel III, King of Italy, of whom I am now a subject." Interestingly, he also had to stipulate that he wasn't an anarchist, polygamist, or some other objectionable character.
Hope this helps.
Don Canton
Looking for Potenzano and Palmieri from Sicily; Catuogno and Semiole from Naples or San Rocco.
Re: Qualify for Dual Citizenship
Even though those words appear on the Declaration of Intent, loss of Italian citizenship only occurred on the date of actual naturalization.
Re renunciation, this is very difficult to do. You must actually go to a consulate and formally renounce. Nothing else, even serving in the military, affected Italian citizenship.
Re renunciation, this is very difficult to do. You must actually go to a consulate and formally renounce. Nothing else, even serving in the military, affected Italian citizenship.
-
Flipper8890
- Newbie

- Posts: 4
- Joined: 04 Aug 2023, 16:05
Re: Qualify for Dual Citizenship
Does anyone know how I would find out if my Grandmother naturalized in Canada?
Thanks
Elisa
Thanks
Elisa
