index file and original records on microfilm

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rlw254
Master
Master
Posts: 592
Joined: 27 Oct 2018, 00:22

Re: index file and original records on microfilm

Post by rlw254 »

All sources can be found through the antenati books, just match the dates I entered on familysearch. All dates should point at the record I used for sources, I just don't often attach external websites to familysearch profiles (admittedly out of laziness). Be careful also not to miss records if the record date and birth date are a couple days apart, as they often are.

While I did find a Concetta, it may not necessarily be the Concetta you're looking for. This family has a history of renaming children after earlier infants that died young (3 separate Fortunatas and 2 Vincenzas, for example). I wouldn't be surprised if there was another child, possibly a Concetta, born in one of the gaps such as 1861-1862 or 1865-1868. Where the records are established, though, I'm not sure. Casole Bruzio, Trenta, Magli, Macchia, Spezzano Grande, all worth a look.

I couldn't find Francesco's 1857 birth or his marriage yesterday but he was already entered into the family by somebody. Looking again today, he actually remarried after the death of his first wife in late 1901. This record can be found in Celico, her place of birth. This gives Francesco's birthplace as Cerchiara di Calabria, which I would have never thought to look at. Sure enough he was born there in 1857. I will poke around this town's records a little too to see if I can dig anything else up pertaining to this family.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
User avatar
carla370
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 80
Joined: 26 Oct 2010, 18:01
Location: Wyoming USA
Contact:

Re: index file and original records on microfilm

Post by carla370 »

rlw254 wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 04:43 All sources can be found through the antenati books, just match the dates I entered on familysearch. All dates should point at the record I used for sources, I just don't often attach external websites to familysearch profiles (admittedly out of laziness). Be careful also not to miss records if the record date and birth date are a couple days apart, as they often are.

While I did find a Concetta, it may not necessarily be the Concetta you're looking for. This family has a history of renaming children after earlier infants that died young (3 separate Fortunatas and 2 Vincenzas, for example). I wouldn't be surprised if there was another child, possibly a Concetta, born in one of the gaps such as 1861-1862 or 1865-1868. Where the records are established, though, I'm not sure. Casole Bruzio, Trenta, Magli, Macchia, Spezzano Grande, all worth a look.

I couldn't find Francesco's 1857 birth or his marriage yesterday but he was already entered into the family by somebody. Looking again today, he actually remarried after the death of his first wife in late 1901. This record can be found in Celico, her place of birth. This gives Francesco's birthplace as Cerchiara di Calabria, which I would have never thought to look at. Sure enough he was born there in 1857. I will poke around this town's records a little too to see if I can dig anything else up pertaining to this family.
Thank you for that. Francesco was my great grandfather. His first marriage was to Maria Francesca Porco and then to Luisa Greco. His last child was born in 1906 but I do not know when Francesco died. I had the old birth record from the LDS films which gave his place of birth as Spezzano Piccolo from his service record.


(Birth
8 March 1857 • Spezzano Piccolo, Cosenza, Calabria, Italy
SIAS Code IT-ASCS-F680258 Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Enlistment year 1858.Vol 50, doc # -, p 363 section -Francesco De Cicco, enlisted on --/--/----born 08/03/1857 to SPEZZANO PICCOLO son/daughter of Domenico DeCicco and Michelina Grand is where I found it) But that could be an error by the person who wrote in the ledger in the first place.

Cerchiara di Calabria is a complete surprise to me!

I found the record in the Manuscript with father, Domenico (Trenta) and mother, Michelina Grande (Magli) which matches what I already have. If there is any other information on this page you see that would be great. His birthdate I see is March 1857? I had date of the 8th but I don't think it says that
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: index file and original records on microfilm

Post by mmogno »

Birth record #23 for Francesco de Cicco.
Date of birth: Mar 6, 1857
Place of birth: Cerchiara
Father: Domenico (30 yo), bracciale
Mother: Michelina Grandi (27 yo)
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 68/02pl6rQ
Image
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
User avatar
carla370
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 80
Joined: 26 Oct 2010, 18:01
Location: Wyoming USA
Contact:

Re: index file and original records on microfilm

Post by carla370 »

thank you mmongo you and all the others have always been so helpful
Pulling out that Cercheria was fantastic rwl254
I deeply appreciate your efforts
rlw254
Master
Master
Posts: 592
Joined: 27 Oct 2018, 00:22

Re: index file and original records on microfilm

Post by rlw254 »

I didn't see any other pertinent records there when I looked but you never know. Just to note, it says trenta as the father's age (30) not that he was living in the village Trenta, which happens to be right next to Spezzano Piccolo. The record indicates that they were living in Macchia at the time.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
User avatar
carla370
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 80
Joined: 26 Oct 2010, 18:01
Location: Wyoming USA
Contact:

Re: index file and original records on microfilm

Post by carla370 »

@rlw254
An American lady who has done extensive work in Mendicino came up with a death certificate for Silvestro in 1817. Until now his wife's name was unknown as it does not appear in any other documents. Their sons marriage and deaths do not show her name. Looking at this death certificate for Silvestro it appears to be Antonia (?) but I am not sure what the translation of context might be. Does it say Della fin? Does that mean she predeceased? Are there any other translatable clues here?

You folks are incredible and peeling away the layers of this ancestral onion... My gratitude

Carla DeCicco Edwards

Silvestro De Cicco
silvestrodiciccod1817mendicino.jpg
1817
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: index file and original records on microfilm

Post by mmogno »

Death record on March 12, 1818. Silvestro De Cicco, 70 years old, shepherd, died on March 11, 1818 at 6pm in Mendicino. He was the son of Francesco and Caterina La Nive, both deceased, widower of the late Antonia (surname not written). One of the two declarants was Nicola De Cicco, 43, bracciale, son of the deceased.

https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 84/5G6Ydd6
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: index file and original records on microfilm

Post by mmogno »

carla370 wrote: 21 Jul 2023, 17:13 ... Looking at this death certificate for Silvestro it appears to be Antonia (?) but I am not sure what the translation of context might be. Does it say Della fin? Does that mean she predeceased? ...
... I quali han dichiarato che ad undeci del mese corrente [Marzo], ad ore diciotto, Silvestro De Cicco, vedovo della fu Antonia, figlio delli furono Francesco e Caterina La Nive, di anni settanta, di professione pastore ...

Carla DeCicco Edwards
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
User avatar
carla370
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 80
Joined: 26 Oct 2010, 18:01
Location: Wyoming USA
Contact:

Re: index file and original records on microfilm

Post by carla370 »

That's wonderful news @mmogno thank you so much for all that :D

May I share this with you? I am so grateful for your help at italiangenealogy.com

thus far.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post Reply