Hello everyone,
I am having difficulty finding the location of my Great-Great Grandmother's place of birth. I have always been told that her and her husband were "from Naples". A Brooklyn marriage record was found and it states that her place of birth was "Santucilio, Italy". I can't seem to find it though. Could you help me uncover where Santucilio is?
CONTEXT: I did have some success with her husband on the same record who was listed as being born in "San Lorenzo." It turns out that San Lorenzo was a *district* in Naples. I had a hard time finding it initially, thinking it was a separate village outside of Naples or something like that.
Thank you to anyone who is up for the challenge!!
Need help...Santucilio?
-
ImWalkinHere!
- Newbie

- Posts: 19
- Joined: 12 Aug 2018, 19:43
Need help...Santucilio?
- Attachments
-
Marriage1897_RosinaRaffaele.pdf- Rose Marriage
- (493.91 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
- MarcuccioV
- Master

- Posts: 1903
- Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
- Location: West Hills, CA USA
Re: Need help...Santucilio?
It would seem to me that it should be Sant'Ucillio. But I can't find it with a quick search either. Most likely a frazione (neighborhood) within one of the quarters of Naples...
Mark
If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...
Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...
Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
Re: Need help...Santucilio?
My guess is for Sant'Egidio (San Cilio in dialect), probably Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino, province of Salerno
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Need help...Santucilio?
I've just noticed that Raffaele was born in San Lorenzo.
San Lorenzo is a "frazione" of Sant'Egidio Montalbino.
San Lorenzo is a "frazione" of Sant'Egidio Montalbino.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Need help...Santucilio?
I think we are on a good path, though there seem to be some issues.
The records for Sant'Egidio are here
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/search- ... bino%29%22
Raffaele was 32 in 1897, so, born about 1865.
In the "liste the leva" for the province of Salerno, I've found one Raffaele Attianese born in Sant'Egidio Montalbino on Apr 13, 1865, but he turns out to be the son of Gennaro, and Carolina Irace. Unfortunately, there's no index for the birth register
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 62/LNVKRG7
Rosina was 20, so, born about 1877. Still, no luck, as registers for such years are missing.
But there are two boys in the "liste di leva"
Orlando Nicola Alfonso e Ferrajoli Luisa Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino 21/05/1868 bracciante
Orlando Raffaele Alfonso e Ferrajoli Luisa Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino 22/08/1870 bracciante
whose parents might be Rosina's parents ("Freollo" having a pronounciation similar to "Ferrajoli")
The records for Sant'Egidio are here
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/search- ... bino%29%22
Raffaele was 32 in 1897, so, born about 1865.
In the "liste the leva" for the province of Salerno, I've found one Raffaele Attianese born in Sant'Egidio Montalbino on Apr 13, 1865, but he turns out to be the son of Gennaro, and Carolina Irace. Unfortunately, there's no index for the birth register
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 62/LNVKRG7
Rosina was 20, so, born about 1877. Still, no luck, as registers for such years are missing.
But there are two boys in the "liste di leva"
Orlando Nicola Alfonso e Ferrajoli Luisa Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino 21/05/1868 bracciante
Orlando Raffaele Alfonso e Ferrajoli Luisa Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino 22/08/1870 bracciante
whose parents might be Rosina's parents ("Freollo" having a pronounciation similar to "Ferrajoli")
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Need help...Santucilio?
Also, I wonder if this
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... AQV5B-MTW3
and/or this
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KDWB-G8H
can be YOUR Raffaele
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... AQV5B-MTW3
and/or this
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KDWB-G8H
can be YOUR Raffaele
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
-
ImWalkinHere!
- Newbie

- Posts: 19
- Joined: 12 Aug 2018, 19:43
Re: Need help...Santucilio?
This is amazing work, Pippo!!! Thank you so much.
That is absolutely my Raffaele. I have another document (his death record) that corroborates the names of his parents.
It looks highly likely based on the dialect of "San Cilio" and the fact that her husband was born in Sant'Egidio that Rosina Orlando was in fact born there. It seems like a roadblock has been hit though given that her birth year is not available on Antenati.
Two questions I have now.
1. How did you access the liste de leva? Is there a specific website?
2. What is the next move to find the documentation for where Rosina was born? Should I write to the town? I've never done that before. How would I go about doing it?
Thank you for all the help & attention
That is absolutely my Raffaele. I have another document (his death record) that corroborates the names of his parents.
It looks highly likely based on the dialect of "San Cilio" and the fact that her husband was born in Sant'Egidio that Rosina Orlando was in fact born there. It seems like a roadblock has been hit though given that her birth year is not available on Antenati.
Two questions I have now.
1. How did you access the liste de leva? Is there a specific website?
2. What is the next move to find the documentation for where Rosina was born? Should I write to the town? I've never done that before. How would I go about doing it?
Thank you for all the help & attention
Re: Need help...Santucilio?
You can search the "liste di leva" for the province of Salerno here:
https://assa.beniculturali.it/vistadb/l ... r=Contains
You can write an email to the Comune di Sant'Egidio Montalbino requesting her birth certificate in 1876 or 1877.
You better say you need it for citizenship purpose, to have them raise no issues.
About Raffaele, do the documents you have confirm that his mother was Cherubina Ruggiero? That's very puzzling!
https://assa.beniculturali.it/vistadb/l ... r=Contains
You can write an email to the Comune di Sant'Egidio Montalbino requesting her birth certificate in 1876 or 1877.
You better say you need it for citizenship purpose, to have them raise no issues.
About Raffaele, do the documents you have confirm that his mother was Cherubina Ruggiero? That's very puzzling!
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.