Desperately Seeking Tamburrino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
IonaTamburrino
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 08 Aug 2023, 02:30

Desperately Seeking Tamburrino

Post by IonaTamburrino »

Hello. I'm new here and I'm looking for help with my ancestry research.
My great-grandparents moved to Scotland in the early 1900s and ended up settling in a town called Coatbridge in Lanarkshire, near Glasgow.

I'm trying to find out where in Italy my great-grandparents came from. The town would be amazing. A former address or information of their marriage and their parents names seem like something I can only dream about. I seem to be getting a dead end here. Location in Italy is the main goal. So I can finally learn where we came from.

My Great-Grandfather was
Carmeno Tamburrino b.1873.
My Great-Grandmother (his wife) was
Vincenza Liccard b.1880

They had a daughter in Italy in 1895 called Francis and then 5 boys born in Scotland.
Franciscum b.1906
Robert b.1910
Nicholas (my grandfather) b.1912
Biazio Peter b.1914
Edwardo b.1915

Now, I've noticed my great-grandparents names spelled different on different documents (like marriage and birth records for the children) and in one case Vincenza gave a completely different surname: "Mingella".

I have found dozens of newspaper articles where there was trouble with the law and again names spelled like Tamburino or Tamburrini or Carmino instead of Carmeno. One said his wife was called Mary (not Vincenza). I don't know if this was a lost in translation thing or if they really didn't want to be traced because of their petty crimes.

I found a map of Italians in Scotland online stating where each Italian family in Scotland came from. It said my great-grandparents came from Frosinone, Lazio in Italy. However the smallprint stated that some of these locations were accurate but some were estimates. I tried to contact the library who held the exhibition where this map was shown however I've had no response so I can't possibly know for certain if this is accurate.

There are some other Tamburrinos alive today living in Scotland and I can't tell if were related. However they believe their family come from Monte Cassino which is close to Frosinone.

I just need that evidence, anything really that can help me find out where in Italy they came from. Also, any other information is a bonus.

I also came across a birth record of an Ernesto Antonio Tamburrini born in Scotland in 1904 with the same parents as my grandfather Nocholas, however, when I contacted the person who created that family tree, she believed that he had a different mother. Also his surname was spelled differently to the other boys born in Scotland. Are they brothers? Is he my grand-uncle?

My Grandfather and my great-grandfather were ice cream merchants (or confectioners) who also sold fish and chips, in Bank Street, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire,Scotland.

Can anyone help me or point me in the direction I need to be looking?

Thanks in advance.

Iona
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Desperately Seeking Tamburrino

Post by mmogno »

Liccard is not an Italian surname.
Do you know the names of Carmeno Tamburrino's parents and Vincenza Liccard? Are you sure about the dates of birth, 1873 and 1880, respectively? Where did you find them? Did this couple have their first daughter when Vincenza was 15?
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Desperately Seeking Tamburrino

Post by PippoM »

The correct surnames might be Tamburrini and Minchella, both existing in Frosinone/Cassino area.
It's a hard search, as both civil and church registers for the area of Cassino were destroyed in WW2. Some acts were "reconstructed", but only for those people who needed it (and your ancestors didn't, as they were in Scotland).
Military records are only available from 1877 on.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
elijahnelson
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 04 Jan 2024, 10:54

Re: Desperately Seeking Tamburrino

Post by elijahnelson »

Contact local libraries and archives in Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, and Glasgow. They may have resources related to Italian immigrants in the area, including records or historical documents.
Reach out to local Italian communities or cultural organizations in Coatbridge or Glasgow. They might have information about Italian immigrants and resources to aid your search.mapquest
NadiaEira
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 11 Nov 2024, 10:43

Re: Desperately Seeking Tamburrino

Post by NadiaEira »

It sounds like you have been through quite a journey trying to trace your ancestry cookie clicker 2 The varying spellings of your great-grandparents' names and the discrepancies in their personal information can definitely make it challenging.
Post Reply