Birth/death records - Varese, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
asters93
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 10 Aug 2023, 16:48

Birth/death records - Varese, Italy

Post by asters93 »

I'm searching for any Italian records of my ancestors. Particularly 'Pietro Campana Seleri' who I believe was born in the Varese Province in 1859. He left Italy to live in the UK in around 1880 and died in 1908, perhaps in Vedano Olona. Does anyone know how I'd go about searching for Birth/Death records (or any record for that matter)? I would be very grateful for any advice. I believe his father was born in Genoa. Thank you for any help and crossing my fingers.
paola52
Elite
Elite
Posts: 427
Joined: 24 Sep 2012, 13:47
Location: Varese, Italy

Re: Birth/death records - Varese, Italy

Post by paola52 »

Hello!
First step: write to the comune of Vedano and ask for his death certificate (estratto per riassunto dell'atto di morte)
It will state where he was born

anagrafe@comune.vedano-olona.va.it

But, as you don't have an exact date, it is possible that they will not be able to do the research
Good luck
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Birth/death records - Varese, Italy

Post by Tessa78 »

Is this your ancestor? Death date here is 11 August 1906 in Middlesex.

Peter Or Pietro Or Peter Campana Or Campana Peter Seleri
Probate • England and Wales, National Index of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1957
England and Wales, National Index of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1957

Name Peter Or Pietro Or Peter Campana Or Campana Peter Seleri
Death Date 11 Aug 1906
Beneficiary's Name Sophia Annie Seleri
Second Beneficiary's Name John Alexander Ferguson
Event Type Death
Event Date 8 Oct 1906
Event Place Middlesex, England, United Kingdom
Event Place (Original) Middlesex, United Kingdom
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPL4-DG4D

And in the 1901 UK Census
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9DV-XMF

T.
asters93
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 10 Aug 2023, 16:48

Re: Birth/death records - Varese, Italy

Post by asters93 »

Hi Paola and Tessa,

I'm so sorry for the late reply, I was not notified of your responses. This is so helpful! I have since found out that you are right, Tessa, he died in England on 11 August 1906.

I think my grandfather got mixed up so it looks like he was born in Vedano Olona in 1956 (+/- 1 year). I do not know the names of his parents but I know that he emigrated to England around 1880 where he then married in 1889.

Do you think with the name and year of birth in Vedano Olona they may be able to find his birth record/certificate, and any information relating to his parents or other family? I understand there was a niece and nephew - Maria Seleri (born 1885) and Luigi Seleri (born 1877) who also came from Italy to London.

Many thanks again,
Peter
Post Reply