Relative in Calabria? (Chimento)
-
DianeSMeng
- Rookie

- Posts: 26
- Joined: 17 Jul 2022, 22:16
Relative in Calabria? (Chimento)
Hi! I'm not positive but I think my great grandparents were born in Calabria. My Nonna, Helen Chimento, made meatballs with raisins and I found these were made in Sicily and Calabria so I'm choosing Calabria. LOL Helen had maybe 10 siblings. Not sure if any were born in Calabria though. So sorry because I'm not giving you much information. Grazie!
Re: Relative in Calabria? (Chimento)
Well...was Chimento her maiden name?
Where did she live?
When/where was she born?
Help us help you!!
Where did she live?
When/where was she born?
Help us help you!!
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Relative in Calabria? (Chimento)
Was she born around 1914 and lived in Passaic in 1940?
- MarcuccioV
- Master

- Posts: 1903
- Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
- Location: West Hills, CA USA
Re: Relative in Calabria? (Chimento)
"Chimento" is most prominent to the province of Palermo. Second most common area is Calabria. It is speckled in other areas, but it is most prominent in Sicily...
Mark
If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...
Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...
Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
-
DianeSMeng
- Rookie

- Posts: 26
- Joined: 17 Jul 2022, 22:16
Re: Relative in Calabria? (Chimento)
Thank you so much for your help. I hardly have any info about her family from Italy and she passed away quite a few years ago.
-
DianeSMeng
- Rookie

- Posts: 26
- Joined: 17 Jul 2022, 22:16
Re: Relative in Calabria? (Chimento)
darkerhorse asked: "Was she born around 1914 and lived in Passaic in 1940?" Thank you for trying to help me. I'm not sure of her birth year because she did "change" it without telling me. She was born, as far as I know, in Norwalk, Connecticut in USA. I wish I knew her mother's maiden name but I don't. Helen Chimento Saltarelli was my Nonna but I have hardly any info to give you. All of her side of the family and she has passed away. Mom has Alzheimer's so I can't get any info from her. Dad and uncle have passed too. I appreciate you're trying though. 
-
DianeSMeng
- Rookie

- Posts: 26
- Joined: 17 Jul 2022, 22:16
Re: Relative in Calabria? (Chimento)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi - Helen, my Nonna, was born in Norwalk, CT USA, as far as I know, and lived there also. Chimento was her maiden name but I don't know her mother's maiden name. Saltarelli was her married name and she married Philip Paul Saltarelli, had 2 sons, all of whom have passed away. I don't think I'm going to get anywhere but I really appreciate you trying to help me. 
Re: Relative in Calabria? (Chimento)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Relative in Calabria? (Chimento)
And if it's her, these might be father Antonio and sister Angelina back from a travel to Italy in 1934:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3AKTRP-VYG
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3AKTRP-VYG
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
-
DianeSMeng
- Rookie

- Posts: 26
- Joined: 17 Jul 2022, 22:16
Re: Relative in Calabria? (Chimento)
Thank you for replying. I'm not positive but I don't think so. She could've been born in 1914 though but in the U.S.
-
DianeSMeng
- Rookie

- Posts: 26
- Joined: 17 Jul 2022, 22:16
Re: Relative in Calabria? (Chimento)
Grazie! Looks like Antonio is my great grandfather and Angelina (Angie) would've been his daughter.
-
DianeSMeng
- Rookie

- Posts: 26
- Joined: 17 Jul 2022, 22:16
Re: Relative in Calabria? (Chimento)
Grazie Mark! I don't know the town for sure because most of my relatives have passed away.
MarcuccioV wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 14:41 "Chimento" is most prominent to the province of Palermo. Second most common area is Calabria. It is speckled in other areas, but it is most prominent in Sicily...
-
DianeSMeng
- Rookie

- Posts: 26
- Joined: 17 Jul 2022, 22:16
Re: Relative in Calabria? (Chimento)
Grazie and sorry it took me so long to get back to you. My Nonna was Helen Chimento Saltarelli but born in the U.S. Her parents were Antonio J. (1885-1953) and Rose Cavallo Chimento (1882-1934). I see a document on here but I can't copy it to show you. Most likely coming into NYC was Antonio and his daughter Angelina (my great Aunt Angie).
PippoM wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 12:06 Well...was Chimento her maiden name?
Where did she live?
When/where was she born?
Help us help you!!
-
DianeSMeng
- Rookie

- Posts: 26
- Joined: 17 Jul 2022, 22:16
Re: Relative in Calabria? (Chimento)
Yes! This was Helen, my Nonna. Grazie PippoM!
Re: Relative in Calabria? (Chimento)
You're welcome, Diane!
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.