Hi all,
I have quite a puzzle in front of me. My great-great grandmother's name was Rose Santre neé Malva.
Her maiden name is spelt Malvy on her marriage license, Mauri on her 1st son's birth certificate, Manby on her 2nd son's birth certificate and Malby on her 1st son's wedding certificate.
Now to complicate this matter even more:
Her wedding record lists her parents as Luigi Malvy and Mary Mangiani.
But on her death certificate her father is listed as Joseph Bevilacqua and Madeline Malve.
My questions are two fold:
1) Almost none of the spellings of Malva are an actual Italian last name when I search it. What do you think the last name could have originally been?
2) Do I go with the names on the wedding record or the death certificate? Why would there be two different names? Presumably her parents never came to the USA and both records indicate she was born in Italy, but I haven't found a single record of evidence of her traveling to the USA.
This has been a HUGE family mystery for more than a century and I'd love to crack it!
Appreciate the help!
Looking for Last Name: Malva & Bevilacqua
-
thedipumas
- Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: 12 Oct 2023, 15:42
Re: Looking for Last Name: Malva & Bevilacqua
Well, that doesn't seem to be easy.
Can you give some dates and places (birth, residence in the USA...)?
Do you have any census reporting her?
Can you give some dates and places (birth, residence in the USA...)?
Do you have any census reporting her?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
-
thedipumas
- Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: 12 Oct 2023, 15:42
Re: Looking for Last Name: Malva & Bevilacqua
Good morning,
I have her on the NYS 1905 Census and the Federal 1910 census. She was born in 1881 and died in 1915. I would love to find a birth certificate for her or even immigration paperwork for her parents.
Seems like she lived in Manhattan for her whole life.
I have her on the NYS 1905 Census and the Federal 1910 census. She was born in 1881 and died in 1915. I would love to find a birth certificate for her or even immigration paperwork for her parents.
Seems like she lived in Manhattan for her whole life.
- parkergambino
- Elite

- Posts: 327
- Joined: 06 Sep 2017, 17:28
Re: Looking for Last Name: Malva & Bevilacqua
I'll be happy to help cloud things up even more. But providing additional information might help go in the other direction. Also, examination of a few more documents might help.
1. I cannot locate the 1910 census (presumably Manhattan/New York County) you refer to. Can you provide the spelling of the surname the way it is indexed? or perhaps a link; preferably via FamilySearch, where I've been looking. I don't have an Ancestry account. And so, I won't be able to use an Ancestry-URL link to examine either the 1905 NYS census or the 1910 Fed.
2. You refer to the 1901 wedding of [Michael Santre & Rosie Malvy] - the names are indexed this way, but there's a bit of slop on the actual document, which contains the clerk version "Michel" and the signatures (as I read them) "Mihel" and "Rose", not that these spelling variants are of any major consequence. Have you seen the actual document
https://a860-historicalvitalrecords.nyc ... ew/8375425
or merely an extract?
The document indicates (contrary to what you report) that Rose was born in NY City, so we will presume from that that her parents (or at least her pregnant mother) immigrated. You list her mother's surname as "Mangiani", but looking at the doc, the no-advance-planning of the entry makes it difficult to read, with other spellings possible, not that I have one to offer, but it's a mess! Michael also born in NY City.
3. This 1933 death certificate for 29-year old William Santre (a shooting victim) is perhaps a son of [Michael & Rose]?
https://a860-historicalvitalrecords.nyc ... ew/6514629
Yes I can see that William's mother is listed as Rose Morris, and that Michael's residence is Staten Island (Richmond County). Just checking.
4. How is Rose indexed for her death certificate, which I have likewise been unable to locate? Can we have a look at the document? If it is a mere extract, that is just one more potential source of spelling error, better to check the doc.
Parker
1. I cannot locate the 1910 census (presumably Manhattan/New York County) you refer to. Can you provide the spelling of the surname the way it is indexed? or perhaps a link; preferably via FamilySearch, where I've been looking. I don't have an Ancestry account. And so, I won't be able to use an Ancestry-URL link to examine either the 1905 NYS census or the 1910 Fed.
2. You refer to the 1901 wedding of [Michael Santre & Rosie Malvy] - the names are indexed this way, but there's a bit of slop on the actual document, which contains the clerk version "Michel" and the signatures (as I read them) "Mihel" and "Rose", not that these spelling variants are of any major consequence. Have you seen the actual document
https://a860-historicalvitalrecords.nyc ... ew/8375425
or merely an extract?
The document indicates (contrary to what you report) that Rose was born in NY City, so we will presume from that that her parents (or at least her pregnant mother) immigrated. You list her mother's surname as "Mangiani", but looking at the doc, the no-advance-planning of the entry makes it difficult to read, with other spellings possible, not that I have one to offer, but it's a mess! Michael also born in NY City.
3. This 1933 death certificate for 29-year old William Santre (a shooting victim) is perhaps a son of [Michael & Rose]?
https://a860-historicalvitalrecords.nyc ... ew/6514629
Yes I can see that William's mother is listed as Rose Morris, and that Michael's residence is Staten Island (Richmond County). Just checking.
4. How is Rose indexed for her death certificate, which I have likewise been unable to locate? Can we have a look at the document? If it is a mere extract, that is just one more potential source of spelling error, better to check the doc.
Parker
