Looking for help locating Rocco Malfa from Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
babbott
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 28 Nov 2023, 10:04

Looking for help locating Rocco Malfa from Sicily

Post by babbott »

I'm looking for some records (birth/marriage, etc) for my 2nd-great grandfather: Rocco Malfa.

Unfortunately, not a ton is known about him except he was born in 1883 (most likely in Sicily in either Ragusa or Agrigento province) and was married to Giovannina Sigona (marriage date/year unknown, but assuming 1907 since she was 16 and had her first child Feb. 1908) before emigrating to the U.S. in July 1907. He died in upstate NY in 1919, so my great-grandmother was young when he died and didn't pass much information on about him, probably because she didn't remember and her mother moved to Los Angeles and remarried.

I searched online records as best as I could at antenati.cultura.gov.it, but without a definite area and specific part of his birthdate, it makes it challenging to try and go through each 'indice annuale' for each province area, as well as several different years in case he lied about his age, and trying to read the illegible writing. Does anyone know of any better ways to search the records or search keywords or is it all mainly a manual research method still?

I found a few 'Malfa' born in 1883 in Ragusa/Agrigento areas but don't think it was him unless by chance Rocco was his middle name and he went by that instead of his first name, in which case did they have middle names/document them on records...perhaps baptism? Anyways any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
User avatar
Italysearcher
Master
Master
Posts: 3470
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
Location: Sora, Italy
Contact:

Re: Looking for help locating Rocco Malfa from Sicily

Post by Italysearcher »

Check out Ellisisland.org. He is from Ribera, travelling with his wife Giovanna Sigona who is from Scaglietti which is part of Ribera.
There are lots of posts on my website including how to search the antenati site efficiently.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
babbott
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 28 Nov 2023, 10:04

Re: Looking for help locating Rocco Malfa from Sicily

Post by babbott »

Hi thanks, I already found the info I needed, the original post was delayed in getting approved. Giovnnina was actually from Scoglitti which is part of the Ragusa province which is where I found most of their info, between there and Siracusa area where their marriage records were processed. Thanks.
Post Reply