LOOKING FOR INFO ON GREATGRANDPARENTS

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DianeSMeng
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Jul 2022, 22:16

LOOKING FOR INFO ON GREATGRANDPARENTS

Post by DianeSMeng »

This is all the info I have so far - Antonio J. (1885-1953) and Rose Cavallo Chimento (1882-1934). Not sure what part of Italy they were born in, unfortunately. They did come to the U.S. eventually. Thank you for whatever you can get for me. Their daughter, my nonna, made meatballs with raisins in them and her name was Helen Saltarelli (married) but born in the U.S. Grazie! Diane
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: LOOKING FOR INFO ON GREATGRANDPARENTS

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the marriage in Manhattan of Antonio Chimento and Rosa Cavallo in 1906 giving parents names...

Name Antonio Chimento
Sex Male
Age 22
Birth Year (Estimated) 1884
Birthplace Italy
Marital Status Single
Race White
Father's Name Cesare
Father's Sex Male
Mother's Name Isabella Chimento
Mother's Sex Female
Spouse's Name Rosina Cavallo
Spouse's Sex Female
Spouse's Age 23
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated) 1883
Spouse's Birthplace Italy
Spouse's Marital Status Single
Spouse's Race White
Spouse's Father's Name Francesco
Spouse's Father's Sex Male
Spouse's Mother's Name Maddalena Dilorio
Event Type Marriage
Event Date 12 Aug 1906
Event Place Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States
Source Details cn 19719

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:249Z-6R6

T.
DianeSMeng
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Jul 2022, 22:16

Re: LOOKING FOR INFO ON GREATGRANDPARENTS

Post by DianeSMeng »

Oh my goodness! Thank you sooooo much Tessa. :) This is remarkable. I didn't know any of this info. Grazie! Have a wonderful day.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: LOOKING FOR INFO ON GREATGRANDPARENTS

Post by Tessa78 »

Is the location of the marriage (NY) correct?

Do you know what kind of occupation Antonio had?

T.
DianeSMeng
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Jul 2022, 22:16

Re: LOOKING FOR INFO ON GREATGRANDPARENTS

Post by DianeSMeng »

Grazie Parker! It's so cool to read the documents. I wish I had actual photos of my family but they have been really hard to get.
DianeSMeng
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Jul 2022, 22:16

Re: LOOKING FOR INFO ON GREATGRANDPARENTS

Post by DianeSMeng »

I'm not positive Tessa. There's no one left in my family to verify any of this but I think my nonna's father was Antonio and they named a son Anthony and I think her mother was Rose so it looks like they're my great grandparents. I don't know what occupation Antonio had. Thank you Tessa. :)

Tessa78 wrote: 11 Feb 2024, 17:38 Is the location of the marriage (NY) correct?

Do you know what kind of occupation Antonio had?

T.
rlw254
Master
Master
Posts: 592
Joined: 27 Oct 2018, 00:22

Re: LOOKING FOR INFO ON GREATGRANDPARENTS

Post by rlw254 »

https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 89/LzezGKQ
Rosaria Cavallo, born 3 June 1882 in Galdo, Salerno, to parents Francesco Cavallo, 30, and Maddalena Di Iorio.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... ction=view
Aligns with 1905 arrival date from 1920 census.

There is a good start to this family tree that someone put together already on familysearch: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedig ... t/GGDJ-LB6

It seems like Antonio was probably from Sannicandro - these records are currently locked to an LDS history center to confirm.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
vcavallo68
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 06 Jun 2024, 08:08

Re: LOOKING FOR INFO ON GREATGRANDPARENTS

Post by vcavallo68 »

DianeSMeng wrote: 11 Feb 2024, 15:58 This is all the info I have so far - Antonio J. (1885-1953) and Rose Cavallo Chimento (1882-1934). Not sure what part of Italy they were born in, unfortunately. They did come to the U.S. eventually. Thank you for whatever you can get for me. Their daughter, my nonna, made meatballs with raisins in them and her name was Helen Saltarelli (married) but born in the U.S. Grazie! Diane
Hi Diane.
Are you related to Antonio and Rose?
Rose Cavallo (Rosaria Cavallo) was my grandfather's sister. (so I am related to her)
She was born in the south of Italy near Salerno (Galdo degli Alburni).
I am very happy if I can help you

Best Regards from Italy

Vincenzo Cavallo
DianeSMeng
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Jul 2022, 22:16

Re: LOOKING FOR INFO ON GREATGRANDPARENTS

Post by DianeSMeng »

Hi Vincenzo! Yes, my Nonna Helen's mother was Rosaria (Rose) so we have to be related. This makes me so happy. I haven't been on here since June 2024. Thank you for responding. Helen was my dad's mother. Since they all passed away there's no one to ask where her family was from in Italy. :D Would you know if Rosaria lived in Calabria? Or, was it Salerno after she married? Grazie!
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: LOOKING FOR INFO ON GREATGRANDPARENTS

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the birth of Rosaria Cavallo in Galdo in 1882 (Salerno)
#17
Dated 4 June 1882 - birth on 3 June
Father: Francesco Cavallo, 30, plowman (bifolco)
Mother: Maddalena Di Iorio, his wife, peasant farmer
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 89/LzezGKQ

NOTE: Parents names are the same as the NY marriage record above.

T.
vcavallo68
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 06 Jun 2024, 08:08

Re: LOOKING FOR INFO ON GREATGRANDPARENTS

Post by vcavallo68 »

DianeSMeng wrote: 30 Oct 2024, 20:32 Hi Vincenzo! Yes, my Nonna Helen's mother was Rosaria (Rose) so we have to be related. This makes me so happy. I haven't been on here since June 2024. Thank you for responding. Helen was my dad's mother. Since they all passed away there's no one to ask where her family was from in Italy. :D Would you know if Rosaria lived in Calabria? Or, was it Salerno after she married? Grazie!

Diane I sent to you a private message.
Best Regards

Vincenzo Cavallo
DianeSMeng
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Jul 2022, 22:16

Re: LOOKING FOR INFO ON GREATGRANDPARENTS

Post by DianeSMeng »

Thank you so much for the information Tessa! I really appreciate it. I will save it. Have a wonderful day. :)

Tessa78 wrote: 30 Oct 2024, 21:04 Here is the birth of Rosaria Cavallo in Galdo in 1882 (Salerno)
#17
Dated 4 June 1882 - birth on 3 June
Father: Francesco Cavallo, 30, plowman (bifolco)
Mother: Maddalena Di Iorio, his wife, peasant farmer
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 89/LzezGKQ

NOTE: Parents names are the same as the NY marriage record above.

T.
DianeSMeng
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Jul 2022, 22:16

Re: LOOKING FOR INFO ON GREATGRANDPARENTS

Post by DianeSMeng »

Thank you so much for taking the time to get this info for me. Unfortunately, I can't get into the bottom 2 you shared. I clicked on "Facebook" but nothing happens and that's the only way I could have connected to see the articles. Diane :)


rlw254 wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 03:36 https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 89/LzezGKQ
Rosaria Cavallo, born 3 June 1882 in Galdo, Salerno, to parents Francesco Cavallo, 30, and Maddalena Di Iorio.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... ction=view
Aligns with 1905 arrival date from 1920 census.

There is a good start to this family tree that someone put together already on familysearch: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedig ... t/GGDJ-LB6

It seems like Antonio was probably from Sannicandro - these records are currently locked to an LDS history center to confirm.
DianeSMeng
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Jul 2022, 22:16

Re: LOOKING FOR INFO ON GREATGRANDPARENTS

Post by DianeSMeng »

DianeSMeng wrote: 16 Nov 2024, 20:57 Thank you so much for taking the time to get this info for me. I was able to add to the Family Tree. Diane :)


rlw254 wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 03:36 https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 89/LzezGKQ
Rosaria Cavallo, born 3 June 1882 in Galdo, Salerno, to parents Francesco Cavallo, 30, and Maddalena Di Iorio.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... ction=view
Aligns with 1905 arrival date from 1920 census.

There is a good start to this family tree that someone put together already on familysearch: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedig ... t/GGDJ-LB6

It seems like Antonio was probably from Sannicandro - these records are currently locked to an LDS history center to confirm.
Post Reply