Please translate - thank you so much!
-
mark4440@comcast.net
- Rookie

- Posts: 53
- Joined: 29 Dec 2023, 03:42
Please translate - thank you so much!
Hi,
Can one of you kind people translate this baptism entry for me, please?
Thanks in advance!
It's entry number 51 for Domingo Gianotti.
I really appreciate it!
Sincerely,
Mark
Can one of you kind people translate this baptism entry for me, please?
Thanks in advance!
It's entry number 51 for Domingo Gianotti.
I really appreciate it!
Sincerely,
Mark
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Please translate - thank you so much!
This is what I'm understanding:
On 6 June 1821 I baptized Domingo (Domenico), who was born on 11 February 1821, legal son of Martin Gianotti and Teresa Remano/Romano. The godparents were Domingo Mosa and Teresa Tira?
Which country is this from?
Angela
On 6 June 1821 I baptized Domingo (Domenico), who was born on 11 February 1821, legal son of Martin Gianotti and Teresa Remano/Romano. The godparents were Domingo Mosa and Teresa Tira?
Which country is this from?
Angela
-
mark4440@comcast.net
- Rookie

- Posts: 53
- Joined: 29 Dec 2023, 03:42
Re: Please translate - thank you so much!
Thank you so much, Angela, I really appreciate it, that's very helpful! Dominic (known as James Dominic) was my grandfather, born in Texas, USA in 1891. His parents immigrated from Italy a few years earlier and didn't really learn much English so they congregated with others who spoke the language.
I've been trying to find out where they immigrated from but no luck so far.
Sincerely,
Mark
I've been trying to find out where they immigrated from but no luck so far.
Sincerely,
Mark
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Please translate - thank you so much!
Yes, it was 1891. Sorry. Not sure why I wrote 1821. I knew that the time frame didn't make sense. I'd say he was probably born in a South American country, like Argentina or Venezuela. I did have access to immigration lists to South America on my previous computer which I probably saved to an external hard-drive. I could take a look tomorrow. So where did you get these records from then?
Angela
Angela
-
mark4440@comcast.net
- Rookie

- Posts: 53
- Joined: 29 Dec 2023, 03:42
Re: Please translate - thank you so much!
No problem, Angela! The 9 on the date does look like a 2. I'm sure that he was born there in Texas, U.S. on the day that was indicated on the baptism because that's the date of birth that we have for him and I know that his parents immigrated from Italy because that's what all of the census's say from 1900 onward. Thanks again!
Sincerely,
Mark
Sincerely,
Mark
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Please translate - thank you so much!
Hi again Mark
Are you sure that this is the correct baptism record? I don't read Latin and when I read this baptism record I found it quite easy to translate and I was understanding it to be written in Spanish, and that's why I asked where the record came from. Then when I read your previous response, I was somewhat perplexed. Maybe I found it easy to read because the writing is clearish and there are no abbreviations in it. (Actually, most of the South American baptism records that I've seen during this time frame have been on pre printed forms.) It would be good to have someone confirm which language it is written in.
Angela
Are you sure that this is the correct baptism record? I don't read Latin and when I read this baptism record I found it quite easy to translate and I was understanding it to be written in Spanish, and that's why I asked where the record came from. Then when I read your previous response, I was somewhat perplexed. Maybe I found it easy to read because the writing is clearish and there are no abbreviations in it. (Actually, most of the South American baptism records that I've seen during this time frame have been on pre printed forms.) It would be good to have someone confirm which language it is written in.
Angela
Re: Please translate - thank you so much!
Angela,
I confirm it's Spanish.
However, Mark has not told us what's the source of this record, and where it is from.
I confirm it's Spanish.
However, Mark has not told us what's the source of this record, and where it is from.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Please translate - thank you so much!
PippoM wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 12:32 Angela,
I confirm it's Spanish.
However, Mark has not told us what's the source of this record, and where it is from.
Great!!! Thank you so much for confirming Pippo. I knew it had to be but because of the information that Mark has given that he was born in Texas USA, I started to wonder.
Angela
Re: Please translate - thank you so much!
Well, Texas is near to Mexico, so there might have been churches for Catholics like Mexicans and Italians , where priests used to speak Spanish (and, I think, Italians could understand Spanish much better than English)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Please translate - thank you so much!
Yes, of course, that would make perfect sense.
Angela
Angela