Can someone help me decipher the abbreviations in the attached marriage record. Specifically, after the groom, Guiseppe's name it states "ed un tempo abre (the re is above the ab, so I know this is an abbreviation but i'm not sure for what) nella militia di S.V.Ma.". He spent some time in the militia. I'm just not sure what the "abre" and the "S.V.Ma." means. I'm looking at entry 14 on the bottom righthand side for Guiseppe and Gratia Carbone.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!
Robin
Help with abbreviations
-
RobininStl
- Rookie

- Posts: 61
- Joined: 10 Jan 2024, 01:32
- Location: St. Louis, MO USA
Re: Help with abbreviations
The Militia MIGHT be a religious organization, and S.V.Ma (Santa Vergine Maria).
But it's just a supposition.
I'm wondering what ab.re means.
But it's just a supposition.
I'm wondering what ab.re means.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Help with abbreviations
I agree with Pippo in his interpretation of the abbreviation S.V. Ma and also that the word "militia" might be a religious organization. I found that, in current times, the term does apply to a religious organization, founded in the 1900s, devoted to the Virgin Mary, but I can't find a reference to it in 1753.
https://www.themilitiaofmary.com/about
If no one else can determine the meaning of the abbreviation ab.re, then I suggest you send an email to the historical diocesan archive of Monreale. Here are links to its website and email address. I would include a copy of the record. I would think someone there would be able to help.
https://www.archiviomonreale.sicilia.it/
E-mail: archiviomonreale@archiviomonreale.sicilia.it
Erudita
https://www.themilitiaofmary.com/about
If no one else can determine the meaning of the abbreviation ab.re, then I suggest you send an email to the historical diocesan archive of Monreale. Here are links to its website and email address. I would include a copy of the record. I would think someone there would be able to help.
https://www.archiviomonreale.sicilia.it/
E-mail: archiviomonreale@archiviomonreale.sicilia.it
Erudita
Re: Help with abbreviations
@erudita74
@PippoM
Però anche per Grazia c'è un'abbreviazione simile:"ab.ce". In questo caso mi sembra evidente che sia "abitatrice di questa suddetta città"
@PippoM
Però anche per Grazia c'è un'abbreviazione simile:"ab.ce". In questo caso mi sembra evidente che sia "abitatrice di questa suddetta città"
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: Help with abbreviations
Gmmogno wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 11:40 @erudita74
@PippoM
Però anche per Grazia c'è un'abbreviazione simile:"ab.ce". In questo caso mi sembra evidente che sia "abitatrice di questa suddetta città"
I agree that the abbreviation following Grazia’s information has “ce” at the end, but like Pippo, I see “re” at the end of the abbreviation for the groom. You’re probably correct though.
Erudita
Re: Help with abbreviations
@erudita74
Sì, ma abitatrice sarebbe il femminile (per Grazia) di abitatore(?) (maschile, per Giuseppe).
Potrebbe essere militia di Sua Reale/Regia Maestà.
Sì, ma abitatrice sarebbe il femminile (per Grazia) di abitatore(?) (maschile, per Giuseppe).
Potrebbe essere militia di Sua Reale/Regia Maestà.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: Help with abbreviations
@mmogno
Si, abitatrice -femminile; abitatore-maschile
Si, abitatrice -femminile; abitatore-maschile
-
RobininStl
- Rookie

- Posts: 61
- Joined: 10 Jan 2024, 01:32
- Location: St. Louis, MO USA
Re: Help with abbreviations
Thank you all for your help! I appreciate the ideas...based on the format of other similar records, it's very likely that the "ab.ce" is abitatrice, but I'm going to email per Erudita's suggestion to confirm.
Thank you!
Robin
Robin
Re: Help with abbreviations
Non so...dunque: innanzitutto bisognerebbe capire se è una "R" o una "V"; anch'io avevo pensato ad un riferimento al re, ma, avendola letta come "V", non trovavo un significato. La "R", nel documento, è scritta in due modi diversi (vedi "Rosario" e "Rev."). E comunque, "abitatore della Milizia" cosa significherebbe? E' per dire che seguiva la Milizia in giro per il regno? Penso che il suggerimento di Erudita possa dare risultati: ci vuole qualcuno che conosca l'ambito locale.mmogno wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 13:28 @erudita74
Sì, ma abitatrice sarebbe il femminile (per Grazia) di abitatore(?) (maschile, per Giuseppe).
Potrebbe essere militia di Sua Reale/Regia Maestà.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
