Hello, this is my first post, so I hope to find someone more knowledgable than I about US naturalization issues. I have been able to glean the following information through internet browsing and family questioning:
My husband possibly qualifies for Italian citizenship through his father's line. His great-great grandfather, Anthony Famiglia, arrived in the US from Italy in 1892. A year later, his wife arrived with their infant son Joseph. The 1930 census states that the parents were naturalized and that the son (who family sources swear was born in Italy) was born in New York. I am so far unable to locate any naturalization record for Anthony. At the time of the 1930 census they lived in Queens, New York, and family sources say they stayed there at least another ten years.
However, I did locate two different records for Joseph Famiglia, suggesting that if he is the same Joseph Famiglia (it is a very uncommon name), his parents did not naturalize, and he had to naturalize himself as an adult.
The Declaration (First Papers) is from "Index to Declaration of Intent for Naturalization: New York County, 1907-1924 Record." It is in Volume 272, Page 287, but no date is listed (this is from the ancestry.com database).
The Petition (Second Papers) is from the Bronx County Supreme Court 1914-1956, where he appears as petition 23482, Volume 94, Page 232 (this is from the IGG website).
Neither of these indices listed a date. My husband's grandfather William was born in 1923, so we are of course hoping for a naturalization date after 1923.
I have two questions:
1.) How do I find out for sure whether Anthony (the great-great grandfather) naturalized at all?
2.) How do I find out if the Joseph Famiglia mentioned in the above records is indeed my husband's great-grandfather, and the date of his naturalization?
Thanks in advance,
Sarah Familia
How to find US Naturalization Records
Re: How to find US Naturalization Records
I can't help you with the date, but if it was necessary for Joseph Famiglia to naturalize, his father's status would not be an issue. You would start with Joseph, a documented Italian and hope that the naturalization date works for you.
With the petition number, you should be easily able to get the date of naturalization by contacting the NARA facility in your area. See:
http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/ for the address.
They respond within a week or two to mail or phone inquiries, within an hour if you visit them in person. Be sure to request a certified copy and they will send you the Petition of Naturalization, the Declaration of Intent, and the Oath of Allegience (which includes the naturalization date).
With the petition number, you should be easily able to get the date of naturalization by contacting the NARA facility in your area. See:
http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/ for the address.
They respond within a week or two to mail or phone inquiries, within an hour if you visit them in person. Be sure to request a certified copy and they will send you the Petition of Naturalization, the Declaration of Intent, and the Oath of Allegience (which includes the naturalization date).
Re: How to find US Naturalization Records
How accurate are ancestory's naturalization databases? Do they only cover the NY area? Are there any alternative methods to searching for naturalization records?
I've never been able to find my GGrandfater Vincenzo Ghiberti
Born Molfetta 1881 (although most US records state 1882)
Died NYC 1946 (his death certificate lists him as a US citizen)
Lived in Hoboken, NJ most his life
thanks,
Mauro
I've never been able to find my GGrandfater Vincenzo Ghiberti
Born Molfetta 1881 (although most US records state 1882)
Died NYC 1946 (his death certificate lists him as a US citizen)
Lived in Hoboken, NJ most his life
thanks,
Mauro
Re: How to find US Naturalization Records
Hello,
I would suggest you to contact the Naturalization record office in St.Louis, Missouri.
USCIS National Record Center
FOIA Division
P.O. Box 648010
Lee Summit, MO 64064-5570
I experienced that one they get your request, that answer you right away telling you the cost of the research ( $ 25 if found, otherwise it is free), and after that in a couple of weeks thay tell you if they found if or not
I also suggest you this web page
http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/natura ... cords.html
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
I would suggest you to contact the Naturalization record office in St.Louis, Missouri.
USCIS National Record Center
FOIA Division
P.O. Box 648010
Lee Summit, MO 64064-5570
I experienced that one they get your request, that answer you right away telling you the cost of the research ( $ 25 if found, otherwise it is free), and after that in a couple of weeks thay tell you if they found if or not
I also suggest you this web page
http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/natura ... cords.html
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
Re: How to find US Naturalization Records
Thanks riccardo
One more question.
Has anyone out there used any of the new proquest geneaology databases? I believe they have ProQuest obituaries database in the works?Also an ancestry "Library edition?"
Is anyone familar with these services? Are they any good?
One more question.
Has anyone out there used any of the new proquest geneaology databases? I believe they have ProQuest obituaries database in the works?Also an ancestry "Library edition?"
Is anyone familar with these services? Are they any good?
Re: How to find US Naturalization Records
It's interesting that you mention this. When I was searching for my grandfather's information on ancestry, I repeatedly got the message "no records found." Then, by chance, asking for something else, my grandfather's naturalization information popped up. I was never able to get this information consistently, so I'm not sure if it's an error in their searching mechanism or in my own search procedure.MauroMags wrote:How accurate are ancestory's naturalization databases? Do they only cover the NY area?
Re: How to find US Naturalization Records
There are several naturalization databases listed for Ancestry, as to the accuracy....depends alot on who was doing the transcription!!
Always room for human error........
wldspirit
Always room for human error........
wldspirit
Re: How to find US Naturalization Records
Riccardo,
Do i need to send a copy of my own identification when sending my request to USCIS
thanks,
Mauro
Do i need to send a copy of my own identification when sending my request to USCIS
thanks,
Mauro




