falcinella

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
falcinella
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: 18 Jun 2024, 04:39

falcinella

Post by falcinella »

Hi,

Looking for immigration information for my father-in-law and his brothers.

Valentino Falcinella was born 10/5/1914 and immigrated to Australia

Costante Falcinella was born 25/11/1902 and we believe immigrated to America.

Giovanni Falcinella was born 15/5/1904 and immigrated to Australia.

Antonio Falcinella was born 14/5/1918 and immigrated ??

Could I get some information on this?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: falcinella

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

The best place to search for any Australian records would be National Archives of Australia: naa.gov.au
Click on “RecordSearch” and take it from there.

I’ve had a quick search to start you off:

Valentino Falcinella, (dob 10 May 1914), travelled via the Italian ship “Remo” which arrived 1 May 1938 in Fremantle, Perth, W. Australia. Place of birth stated was Sondrio, Italy. He was interned 1940. Naturalised 28 January 1948.

Brothers mentioned in digitised interment documents from 1940 were: Giovanni (Agnew. N.A. maybe W.Australia?), Antonio (Italy), Paolino (Italy), Costante (S. America) There may have been another brother, Battista born 17 April 1905?

You can also search through the digitised documents here but this link possibly will time out:
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchN ... sting.aspx

Hope this helps.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: falcinella

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

List attached.
Attachments
Valentino Falcinella List.jpg
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: falcinella

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

If this is your family, you might be interested in the following two attachments as well. One is a letter written in November 1940 by his cousin C O Curti, living in Manjimup?, W.Australia, to the Military Intelligence Headquarters, W. Australia, requesting that they release Valentino from the Harvey Internment Camp into his care, and the other is his release which didn’t happen until October 1943. I hope that you are able to access the online digitised documents as there are quite a few others there that may be of interest.

Angela
Attachments
Letter from C O Curti,.jpg
Release of W.A. Alien Italian Alies October 1943.jpg
falcinella
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: 18 Jun 2024, 04:39

Re: falcinella

Post by falcinella »

Would you have information on Battista? I am not sure about him. Thanks
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: falcinella

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

falcinella wrote: 21 Jun 2024, 10:20 Would you have information on Battista? I am not sure about him. Thanks

No I wouldn’t. This would need to be researched further. Maybe you could start a separate topic as it is getting late here now. I have however checked Verceia, Sondrio 1905 records and while there is nothing there for a Battista Falcinella, there is a record there for Battista Curti, son of Battista Curti and Maria Oregioni, who was born on 17 April 1905, so maybe an error was made in the document I read, and he was a relative living with the family. As I said "there may have been a brother" but the document didn't actually say it was his brother. If I remember correctly he was just listed there alongside the other brothers and his birth date noted.
Record No 6: Battista Curti: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=993447

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: falcinella

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I went through the internment pages again and have located the following which clearly states there were four brothers. (So maybe my tired eyes were playing tricks on me.) I haven't looked at all the pages closely, but my understanding is that Battista Curti was the person (cousin?) who sponsored him. I would recommend that you search the National Australian Archives yourself. There is a lot of information there. :)

Angela
Attachments
Four Brothers.jpg
falcinella
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: 18 Jun 2024, 04:39

Re: falcinella

Post by falcinella »

Thanks so much. Appreciate your help ❤️
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: falcinella

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

My pleasure. Very happy to help. I've just had a look at brother Giovanni's info on Naa site and here is a precis from what I read. I hope that you have been able to search there. Let me know if there are any issues. It is really annoying that any links time out within about 30 minutes.


Giovanni Falcinella arrived in Melbourne Australia, on 18 April 1927 onboard the Regina D’Italia, leaving Italia from Genoa. He applied to naturalise in 1933 and his documentation is online at NAA. This would explain why he wasn’t interned during WWII while his brother, Valentino was. (Giovanni naturalised 1938.)

(If it is the same Giovanni Falcinella, it looks like he purchased property in Manjimup, WA from a Florence Curti in 1946 and In 1941, a Giovanni Falcinella had purchased property at Daglish Perth, WA.)

In 1946 Giovanni applied to sponsor his children Alfonsa Falcinella (dob 23 February 1924) and Clara Falcinella (dob 23 August 1926). (As per 1933 naturalisation documentation I'm understanding his wife’s name was Gervasa Curti and that she had remained in Italia at this point with their children.) (Sponsorship was very common in both Australia and also NZ at this time.))

Daughter Clara arrived in Fremantle, WA via vessle Al Sudan on 26 February 1948. I don’t see an arrival for Alfonsa.
Attachments
Giovanni Falcinella Letter of Application.jpg
Giovanni Falcinella's Arrival 18 April 1927.jpg
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: falcinella

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thought you might be interested in the following as well. When you view the documents at the Naa site you really need to download them as often you don't see the complete image.

Best to you.

Angela
Attachments
Giovanni Falcinella 1933 Nsturalisation.jpg
Giovanni Falcinella 1933 Naturalisation Page 4.jpg
Giovanni Falcinella 1933 Naturalisation Declaration Page 2.jpg
falcinella
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: 18 Jun 2024, 04:39

Re: falcinella

Post by falcinella »

Hello Angela,

Again, my thanks for your work. Yes I have been on NAA and found some great information. Thankyou for all the work you do
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: falcinella

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

falcinella wrote: 22 Jun 2024, 05:24 Hello Angela,

Again, my thanks for your work. Yes I have been on NAA and found some great information. Thankyou for all the work you do

Fantastic!!! Happy that you are finding searching the NAA site productive. It's a really good site and reasonably user friendly too.


Best to you.
Angela
Post Reply