Covatta in Campobasso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rose_briss
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 28 Jul 2012, 21:07

Covatta in Campobasso

Post by rose_briss »

My GG Grandmother was Rosalina Covatta and she married Dominic Battista. I have this information from the marriage certificate of my great-grandfather Liberato Battista who emigrated to Canada in 1895. In the Canadian census documents and according to family members, he said he had been born in the Campobasso region.
I have hit a brick wall in trying to get any more details of his ancestry.
Should anyone be able to point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Covatta in Campobasso

Post by mmogno »

In the Rubriche dei Ruoli matricolari (military) kept at the State Archives of Campobasso relating to the years 1870-1892 there are two Liberato Battista.

https://archiviodistatocampobasso.cultu ... 0-1892.pdf

ID Anno Cognome Nome Matricola Categoria
B5 1878 Battista Liberato 5073 1
B15 1883 Battista Liberato 14419 1

You could request a mail search from the Archives to get the Matriculation Rolls of these two people to check if one of them is your ancestor who emigrated to Canada in 1895.
https://archiviodistatocampobasso.cultu ... te-on-line
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
Farassino
Master
Master
Posts: 787
Joined: 16 May 2024, 17:05

Re: Covatta in Campobasso

Post by Farassino »

For reference.
This was your previous post regarding Liberato Battista back in 2015:
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 19#p230919
rose_briss
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 28 Jul 2012, 21:07

Re: Covatta in Campobasso

Post by rose_briss »

Yes. The 2015 query was how I got the surname Covatta. I went on to trace the other side of my family and only recently came back to the Battistas. Unfortunately I've been unable to to find anything. I've just recently started looking into Antenati. But not having the name of the community is making the search difficult. According to the Canadian census, Liberato was born October 26, 1874. And according to his marriage record, his mother was Rosalina Covatta. As was the Italina custom, he named his eldest daughter, my grandmother, Rosalina. I am her namesake.
User avatar
MarcuccioV
Master
Master
Posts: 1903
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
Location: West Hills, CA USA

Re: Covatta in Campobasso

Post by MarcuccioV »

rose_briss wrote: 05 Aug 2024, 03:20 Yes. The 2015 query was how I got the surname Covatta. I went on to trace the other side of my family and only recently came back to the Battistas. Unfortunately I've been unable to to find anything. I've just recently started looking into Antenati. But not having the name of the community is making the search difficult. According to the Canadian census, Liberato was born October 26, 1874. And according to his marriage record, his mother was Rosalina Covatta. As was the Italina custom, he named his eldest daughter, my grandmother, Rosalina. I am her namesake.
The commune is Casalciprano. Birth act #35, 1874: https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 30/wlvqNDD
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Covatta in Campobasso

Post by Tessa78 »

Mark, I found that same birth act in 2015 for this poster and stated that the parents do not match.
Should be a birth in October 1874 to Rosalina Covatta and Domenici Battista.
The act you posted is a birth in June 1874 to Pasquale Battista and Amabile Petti.

T.
ItalianManc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 02 Aug 2024, 16:07

Re: Covatta in Campobasso

Post by ItalianManc »

I think this is the marriage detail for Rosalina and Domenico in Casalciprano from 1873 https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 66/0Jq29mB
rose_briss
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 28 Jul 2012, 21:07

Re: Covatta in Campobasso

Post by rose_briss »

Yes, Tessa. You sorted out the Covatta name for me. Thank you.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Covatta in Campobasso

Post by Tessa78 »

Making a little progress...

This appears to be a child born to the same couple you named as parents of Liberato.
Birth act in 1878 in Casalciprano
#12
Father: Domenico Battista, 31, peasant farmer, son of Crescenzo
Mother: Rosalina Cassetta, his wife, peasant farmer, daughter of Angelantonio
Child born on 1 February 1878 and given the name Donatantonio Battista.
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 52/LqVOpbG

So that establishes that they did indeed live in Casalciprano, and had children there.

The spelling of the mother's surname appears to be Cassetta.

EDIT TO ADD:
Here is the marriage of Domenico Battista and Rosalina Cassetta in Casalciprano in 1873.
#15
Dated 27 November 1873
Groom: Domenico Battista, 26, unmarried, born and residing in Casalciprano, peasant farmer, son of Crescenzo Battista and of Nicoletta Iannontuono
Bride: Rosalina Cassetta, 18, unmarried, born and residing here, peasant farmer, daughter of deceased Angelantonio Cassetta and of [living] Pasqua Battista.
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 66/0Jq29mB

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Covatta in Campobasso

Post by Tessa78 »

AND...

There is a Liberato Campana who was born in Casalciprano in 1874
Birth on 25 October - presented on 26 October.
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 30/LpdVymE

But no Liberato Battista on that date (which you posted above as the birth date of Liberato Battista - 26 October 1874.)

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Covatta in Campobasso

Post by Tessa78 »

Birth of Rosalina Cassetta in Casalciprano 1855. (#31)
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 07/0JqPVx9

T.
rose_briss
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 28 Jul 2012, 21:07

Re: Covatta in Campobasso

Post by rose_briss »

Thank you sooooo much Tessa. You're a genius. It would have taken me forever to find these - especially since my Italian is basic. Based on ages, and year of marriage, these appear to indeed be Liberato's parents. I'll print these out and have a much closer look. You'd know better than I, but the name "Cassetta" is not all that common. So I imagine that it's not likely that another Dominic Battista would be marrying a Rosalina Cassetta. I should have come back to this forum years ago. Rose
Farassino
Master
Master
Posts: 787
Joined: 16 May 2024, 17:05

Re: Covatta in Campobasso

Post by Farassino »

Liberato Battista was born October 1st 1874. Act #47
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 30/wjvxNkD
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Covatta in Campobasso

Post by Tessa78 »

Farassino wrote: 06 Aug 2024, 23:47 Liberato Battista was born October 1st 1874. Act #47
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 30/wjvxNkD
Nice find!!

Do not know why I missed it :oops:

T.
rose_briss
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: 28 Jul 2012, 21:07

Re: Covatta in Campobasso

Post by rose_briss »

I owe you both! If you're ever in Canada......:)
Post Reply