Here we go again...!
I seem to be more or less out of luck (unless some fabulous twist of fate) as far as jure sanguinis through my paternal grandfather goes so now I'm attempting to get more information on my paternal grandmother's family history.
My grandmother, Pia Franconi, was born in 1915 in the United States. Her parents, Antonio Grechi and Assunta Gavazzi Grechi, were both born in Italy and came to America so it is their records I'm currently looking for. Is anyone able to tell me if Antonio naturalized? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
did my great-grandparents naturalize?
Re: did my great-grandparents naturalize?
Are these surnames correct?
I couldn't find anything relevant...
Have you done any reseach at all on this side of the family... ??
I do understand that you are looking for naturalization history more than anything else... we are seeing more and more of this ... where the rest of the family history - is secondary...
But you are going to have to provide more information for us... like year of birth, where in USA settled.. , siblings... , what documents do you have on them... Do you have any clue where from Italy they came from... Did the parents meet here... there...
We really need more info to work with...
Maria
I couldn't find anything relevant...
Have you done any reseach at all on this side of the family... ??
I do understand that you are looking for naturalization history more than anything else... we are seeing more and more of this ... where the rest of the family history - is secondary...
But you are going to have to provide more information for us... like year of birth, where in USA settled.. , siblings... , what documents do you have on them... Do you have any clue where from Italy they came from... Did the parents meet here... there...
We really need more info to work with...
Maria
Re: did my great-grandparents naturalize?
Be careful with this, though. You say your grandmother was born in 1915. When was your father born?
Remember that even if your grandmother was an Italian citizen, she could not pass on that citizenship before 1948, so if your father was born before that date, you'll have a problem.
Remember that even if your grandmother was an Italian citizen, she could not pass on that citizenship before 1948, so if your father was born before that date, you'll have a problem.
Re: did my great-grandparents naturalize?
GRECHI
possible 1920 US Census
Duryea, Luzerne, PA
923 Main St, owns house
- Anthony GREGY, 49 (1871), immig 1902? Na 1916?, miner - coal mine
- Asunta, 42 (1878), immig 1909 Na 1916?
- daughter Ria (Pia), 4 (1916), b in PA
- son Albert, 11 (1909), b in PA
- 2 boarders
possible 1920 US Census
Duryea, Luzerne, PA
923 Main St, owns house
- Anthony GREGY, 49 (1871), immig 1902? Na 1916?, miner - coal mine
- Asunta, 42 (1878), immig 1909 Na 1916?
- daughter Ria (Pia), 4 (1916), b in PA
- son Albert, 11 (1909), b in PA
- 2 boarders
Re: did my great-grandparents naturalize?
Sorry I haven't responded; my dad has been in the hospital.
In any case, I honestly haven't done that much research on my Nonna's side of the family because I thought my Nonno's side would be easier since he was actually born in Italy. I know that Pia had a brother -- his name might of been Alberto but everyone called him "Red" and he has been deceased for about seven years is my guess. Pia's parents both died within a year or two of each other when she was a teenager. If I'm not mistaken, they lived in Pennsylvania, probably in Luzerne Valley.
In any case, I honestly haven't done that much research on my Nonna's side of the family because I thought my Nonno's side would be easier since he was actually born in Italy. I know that Pia had a brother -- his name might of been Alberto but everyone called him "Red" and he has been deceased for about seven years is my guess. Pia's parents both died within a year or two of each other when she was a teenager. If I'm not mistaken, they lived in Pennsylvania, probably in Luzerne Valley.
Re: did my great-grandparents naturalize?
I'm not quite gifted with these kind of documents: Does this mean that they indeed naturalized?
Also, in response to an earlier post, my father was born in 1951 (after 1948) so I don't think there should be a problem with that piece. But thank you for bringing it up.
Also, in response to an earlier post, my father was born in 1951 (after 1948) so I don't think there should be a problem with that piece. But thank you for bringing it up.
Re: did my great-grandparents naturalize?
Oh wait. "Na" means naturalized, doesn't it. Duh.


