Foundling Names

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
mfroelich17
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: 07 Jul 2024, 19:15

Foundling Names

Post by mfroelich17 »

Was it common for the same names to be used for foundlings in the same area?

I am trying to understand if my great-great grandmother may have been a foundling which is why I am having such a hard time finding records of her in Italy. Her name was Cristina Creta, supposedly from Palermo, born between 1881-1884. I have found two other Cristina Creta's in Palermo, both of which are listed without parents in the birth index records which is making me question if the name is connected.

Thank you in advance for any help!
User avatar
MarcuccioV
Master
Master
Posts: 1903
Joined: 11 Jan 2021, 17:49
Location: West Hills, CA USA

Re: Foundling Names

Post by MarcuccioV »

mfroelich17 wrote: 11 Aug 2024, 02:15 Was it common for the same names to be used for foundlings in the same area?

I am trying to understand if my great-great grandmother may have been a foundling which is why I am having such a hard time finding records of her in Italy. Her name was Cristina Creta, supposedly from Palermo, born between 1881-1884. I have found two other Cristina Creta's in Palermo, both of which are listed without parents in the birth index records which is making me question if the name is connected.

Thank you in advance for any help!
Ther answer is yes. In my grandparent's commune, it was "Proietti" (project). I suppose it all depended on the commune, its history, patron Saint's names, etc. If the town was large enough for multiple 'roti' (foundling wheels), I would think each would use a different surname. Occasionally boys & girls used different surnames, but not always.

As with anything, there are bound to be anomalies. My BFF's grandfather was a founding in Mezzojuso, Sicily and the Sister's who cared for him apparently knew the father (from Marineo, a nearby commune), so they gave him his father's surname. But that's most likely an extreme rarity...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will soon collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci Del Brusco Falera Giorgi Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
almoststatement
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 19 Aug 2024, 07:28

Re: Foundling Names

Post by almoststatement »

Yes, it was common for foundlings (abandoned children) in Italy to be given certain names, and these names could often be similar or identical within a particular area, especially if the foundlings were under the care of the same institutions or authorities. This practice was partly due to the need for quick and efficient record-keeping and partly to protect the identity of the child in the absence of known parents.
Post Reply