Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by wldspirit »

It is very likely given the census info found, that Tinto was taken from
TINCHETTELLA, Tinchiletta or Tinchitella.........

as for the correct spelling......would need another opinion.

wldspirit
User avatar
raymo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 05 Dec 2003, 00:00

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by raymo »

Hi,

The address for the comune (town) of Sala Consilina, which is in the province of Salerno (near Naples): http://comune.sala-consilina.salerno.it/

The site is only in Italian from what I can see, but you have the option of contacting them to see if any of your ancestors were born there. Their Hall of Records - Ufficio Anagrafe - would still have the records, even back to the 1880s. FYI, you would need to communicate with them in Italian, not in English, but we on the board are happy to help.

Also, Matteo is MATTHEW in Italian, not Martin. Martin would be MARTINO.
User avatar
raymo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 05 Dec 2003, 00:00

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by raymo »

Ufficio Anagrafe, Sala Consilina, email address: E-Mail: anagrafe@comune.sala-consilina.salerno.it
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

It is very likely given the census info found, that Tinto was taken from
TINCHETTELLA, Tinchiletta or Tinchitella.........

as for the correct spelling......would need another opinion.

wldspirit

The writing is not easy to read. I read it as Tinchetteta. I'm going to have to go back to the Castle Garden site to see what I can find.

Judy
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

Also, Matteo is MATTHEW in Italian, not Martin. Martin would be MARTINO.

Thanks for letting me know that. I thought Matteo was Martin in Italian only because on a census that I saw, listed a son as Matteo and my Uncle's name was Martin. I was 5 when my grandfather Domenico died and I thought I remembered him as being a man that didn't speak English well. I read in his obit that he lived at the 4th St address for 60 years so maybe I don't remember him at all. I do believe that the family spoke Italian in the home since my father and his brothers and sisters all spoke the language. My mother was Irish so it wasn't spoken in my house at all. I wish now that I learned it. Over the weekend I did go out and buy a tape to try to learn some of the language :) .
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

The site is only in Italian from what I can see, but you have the option of contacting them to see if any of your ancestors were born there. Their Hall of Records - Ufficio Anagrafe - would still have the records, even back to the 1880s. FYI, you would need to communicate with them in Italian, not in English, but we on the board are happy to help.


This may open up another door for me and yes, I'll need help since I don't speak any Italian.

I'm so glad that I found this site. I have learned more here about my family then I did anywhere else. I apprecialte everyone's help.

Judy
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Judy,

Copy the site that "raymo" give you & go to>>>>

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Paste the site address in the place to "translate webpage," select language to language, then translate.

Not the best, but you should be able to figure it out.

Hope it helps.

jcsm

PS. Just thought the Matteo manifest was interesting with the last name spelling.
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by wldspirit »

Census/manifest contain spelling errors....accents were hard to understand..........

ran the name thru a surname database.......no results were found for the spelling of TINCHETTELLA, Tinchiletta.......however, with the spelling of
"Tinchitella"........results were found in the Lazio region and the Campania region.........

I would suggest pulling all US documents on this family before jumping across the ocean......

wldspirit
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

wldspirit wrote:Census/manifest contain spelling errors....accents were hard to understand..........

I would suggest pulling all US documents on this family before jumping across the ocean......

wldspirit
Hello again...I have been home on vacation and been working hard on finding something out about my family. I decided to subscribe to Ancestry.com. Today, I may have hit upon something and come across an important piece of the puzzle. I'm going to send a link though I don't know if it will work but I'll tell you about it anyway. It doesn't say at what port in New York they arrived just the District of the City of New York Port of New York. I found January 14, 1890 on the ship Elysia two people that I believe could be my great grandparents. One they have listed on how they believe the name reads is Michele Tinchitlla age 33. When I read it it looks more like (again with the spelling of the name) Tinchitilla. Right under his name is Carmela De Vito which was my great grandmothers maiden name. They list her age as 29. No children were mentioned which leads me to think that maybe despite my grandmother being listed as born in Italy she really wasn't. Only one place I have found that has her listed as being born in the United States and that is from one of the census. It might have been the 1930 census of Frank and Mildred Baker of the Bronx, NY. Mildred was one of my grandmothers daughters. If this is true, that would make the year my grandmother was born along with her brothers wrong but like I said, my aunts and uncles always said they were younger then the actually were.

I still can't find anything on my grandfather (Domenico) or his mother (Maria Vaccaro , Vaccaro being her maiden name) or father (Matteo) on how or when the came to the USA but then again, maybe their names are mispelled. I did find something in the Archives in Westchester County on an application to become a citizen for Domenico Colombo. I'm hoping that it's the right Domenico Colombo. If it is, it should give me some clues.

I wanted to thank you again for leading in the direction of a name change on my grandmothers side of the family. That's what kept me pressing on. As I stated in another post, I do remember my mother saying that there was a name change but at the time I didn't care to question it. Also my dad spoke many times of Naples but unfortunately, I wasn't listening.

Opps, the link didn't work.

My search goes on.

Judy
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by jcsm400 »

Link to the manifest.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8776 ... estyd7.jpg

Click on bottom right corner to enlarge.

Hope it helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

jcsm400 wrote:Link to the manifest.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/8776 ... estyd7.jpg

Click on bottom right corner to enlarge.

Hope it helps.

jcsm
Yes, that's the link I didn't know how to post. Thanks for postingit. I'm thinking that they have to be my greatgrandparents. It would be such a coincidence to have the names of both on the same ship and one right under the other. Of course, it's my greatgrandmothers maiden name that is listed, but then, maybe they weren't married when they arrived here. I just can't see it not being them.

Judy
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Judy,

Italian women kept their maiden names for life. Most are listed coming into the US under their maiden names, even when married.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by mfjp »

Hi Judy....

And when these women became American citizens... along with a trip back to Italy and back home to the USA... manifests could have her listed under her married surname... seen many....

I had trouble finding a second boat record of a woman... only because I searched for her maiden name... I then searched for her married surname.. and sure enough she was there....(she was NOT with her husband on this voyage...)...

The Ellis Island data base had her listed as an American... which is correct...

Maria
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by mfjp »

New York Passenger Lists Record
about Michele Timchitlla
Name: Michele Timchitlla
Arrival Date: 14 Jan 1890
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1857
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Destination: New York
Place of Origin: Italy
Ship Name: Elysia
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 16
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: 543
List Number: 57
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/3034 ... ordhx2.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like it is written as... T R I U C H I T I L L A....

Surname to transcribe....

more opinions would help....

I really think it is Zichitella or close to it from the MARSALA area...


also on the Ellis data base...

Trichitella,Nicola Ferrandina, 1906 25 1881
Trichitella,Salvatsre Marsala, Trapani 1910 29 1881
Irichitella,Angelo Manola 1906 28 1878

Maria
User avatar
ditota
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 30
Joined: 10 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Vero Beach, Florida

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by ditota »

If I may jump in here and hopefully add something, the manifest number is 81488.

Passenger's Name: Triuchitilla, Michele
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Occupation: Laborer
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage

Passenger's Name: Devito, Carmela
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Occupation: Laborer
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The following children were also on the ship but were not listed on the same page of the manifest as Michele and Carmela. I don't know on what page they appeared or who they traveled with.

Passenger's Name: Trinchitella, Nicola
Age: 11 Months
Gender: Male
Occupation: Infant
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage

Passenger's Name: Trinchitello, Angela
Age: 8
Gender: Female
Occupation: Child
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage

Passenger's Name: Trinchitello, Felicia
Age: 6
Gender: Female
Occupation: Child
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage

Passenger's Name: Trinchitello, Rosario
Age: 3
Gender: Female
Occupation: Child
Literate: Unknown
Village/Last Residence: Unknown
Country: Italy
Date of Arrival: Jan. 14, 1890
Final Destination: New York
Purpose for Travel: Staying in USA, but not a citizen of USA
Ship's Name: Unknown
Captain's Name: Unknown
Manifest I.D. Number: 81488
Port of Embarkation: Naples
Mode of Travel: Steerage
Albert De Tota (di Tota)
Post Reply